warren buffet and nu

He's a good businessman, but he's a shark.

Won't deny that.

Funny how his train oil spills don't make splash headlines like other environmental spills do.

There have been plenty of train crashes and they do make headlines, especially when there's a big fireball like the one in Virginia. Mainstream media covers them, and NBC News reported that oil train dereailments hit record numbers in 2014. Even the Daily Show did a segment on how trains might be more dangerous than pipelines. If the implication is that Buffett can buy, or simply get sympathetic treatment from liberal media on railroad related stories, it's a dubious connection. Train spills are typically much smaller and more easily contained than pipeline bursts, especially where water is concerned, so they might affect fewer people. The Keystone Pipeline story is pretty interesting in that it's hardly unique as pipelines go, but environmental organizations decided to draw a line in the stand and make Keystone a litmus test. I also think they really, really hate the Koch Brothers.

It's not even just liberal media, that he also owns, it's politicians and a president that veto the bill. But even heavy liberal media in Seattle WA are finally coming around to questioning BNSF and their lack of reporting spills.

I can definitely buy your last sentence.

Agree. The Koch Brothers are just awful human beings.

Yes, demonize people who have different ideas on how to address problems. (For those who don't know, they are libertarians that have the audacity to support ideals that they believe in, many of which liberals now embrace (gay marriage, legalize pot, etc.) and claim moral superiority).
  • Fire 1

Won't deny that.

Funny how his train oil spills don't make splash headlines like other environmental spills do.

There have been plenty of train crashes and they do make headlines, especially when there's a big fireball like the one in Virginia. Mainstream media covers them, and NBC News reported that oil train dereailments hit record numbers in 2014. Even the Daily Show did a segment on how trains might be more dangerous than pipelines. If the implication is that Buffett can buy, or simply get sympathetic treatment from liberal media on railroad related stories, it's a dubious connection. Train spills are typically much smaller and more easily contained than pipeline bursts, especially where water is concerned, so they might affect fewer people. The Keystone Pipeline story is pretty interesting in that it's hardly unique as pipelines go, but environmental organizations decided to draw a line in the stand and make Keystone a litmus test. I also think they really, really hate the Koch Brothers.

It's not even just liberal media, that he also owns, it's politicians and a president that veto the bill. But even heavy liberal media in Seattle WA are finally coming around to questioning BNSF and their lack of reporting spills.

Yes, demonize people who have different ideas on how to address problems. (For those who don't know, they are libertarians that have the audacity to support ideals that they believe in, many of which liberals now embrace (gay marriage, legalize pot, etc.) and claim moral superiority).
No, they're just awful. They're everything wrong with this country.
  • Fire 1

Won't deny that.

It was a wee joke, aimed at a poster who was slyly demonizing a man with different ideas on how to address problems.

In truth, I would support the candidacy of a genuine Libertarian. And since America has an established Libertarian Party, I can't wait to see the Libertarian candidates the Koch Brothers will be funding with the billion dollars they've promised in the coming election cycle.

I think they're awful but hey....prove me wrong Koch Brothers!

Won't deny that.

It was a wee joke, aimed at a poster who was slyly demonizing a man with different ideas on how to address problems.

In truth, I would support the candidacy of a genuine Libertarian. And since America has an established Libertarian Party, I can't wait to see the Libertarian candidates the Koch Brothers will be funding with the billion dollars they've promised in the coming election cycle.

They did support the Libertarian Party 15-20 years ago. And got no where. That is when they bought the Kansas Republican Party.

Problem is they are half Libertarians. True Libertarians say government should get out of their wallet and their bedroom. They have major issues with supporting Libertarian social policy.

Won't deny that.

Tell me exactly what makes them bad? I dare you.

Won't deny that.

So a person with liberaterian ideals should support someone who has no chance; or rather, should that person support someone who may win and is closer to thier ideology. You tell me what you would do.

It's funny to me how certain people choose to demonize a person who disagree with them (I'm not talking about you), create a negative characture of them, and propagate that image, and people/media without thought or review accept said falsehood - even attacking those who disagree without out even entertaining the thought they may be wrong (yes, I know a lot of you will use this comment against me and claim its ironic - I'm willing to accept that challenge and debate you on the point and see where our discussion goes).

Won't deny that.

So a person with liberaterian ideals should support someone who has no chance; or rather, should that person support someone who may win and is closer to thier ideology. You tell me what you would do.

It's funny to me how certain people choose to demonize a person who disagree with them (I'm not talking about you), create a negative characture of them, and propagate that image, and people/media without thought or review accept said falsehood - even attacking those who disagree without out even entertaining the thought they may be wrong (yes, I know a lot of you will use this comment against me and claim its ironic - I'm willing to accept that challenge and debate you on the point and see where our discussion goes).

You're kind of condescending, Guy. I don't believe I was slyly demonizing Buffett, I was pretty clear that I don't trust him.
  • Fire 1

Won't deny that.

Tell me exactly what makes them bad? I dare you.
Start a thread in the P and R forum and I and many others will. But for now I'll just let you look at Kansas, and the article Rolling Stone wrote about Koch industries and how they denied nothing in their rebuttle.

If Buffet could launder $ thru the UNL athletic dpt. he certainly would. But since he can't, he just sticks to Wells Fargo:

Wells Fargo, the US bank in which the investment guru Warren Buffett is the biggest shareholder, is close to settling claims that lapses in anti-money laundering controls allowed Mexico's ruthless drug cartels to get cash into and out of the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wells-fargo-set-to-settle-moneylaundering-case-1921918.html

True story: back in the early 90s, I played a show(music concert) with one of Buffet's kids--a 'keyboardist'(mediocre at best)--well, let's just say, since the kid held shares in the Milwaukee based record label of which the Seattle based group I was in recorded with, we were 'required' to put him on stage with us for a few 'cameo' tunes. I think he fancied himself to be the George Winston of the midwest. Anyway, the kid lived in what was basically a French style castle near Lake MI, with imported antique French furniture from, uh, France--which I thought, BTW, was rather un-'Murican of him--had all the bells and whistles of well-heeled societ-eh, including an impending divorce from an apparently gold-digging wife, an in home fully equipped recording studio with Synclavier(~$100k synthesizer), and, apparently was suffering from self delusions as to talent and to his having 'earned his fortune all on his own'--to which fantasy I ascribed to an over intoxication of Wisconsin 'dairy air'.

Anyway, that's my Warren Buffet story...in short, I'm not a fan of the family.

My totally true Buffet story is, one time another unnamed young 'Buffet':

A young Buffet travels to the Far East, where he's trained in the martial arts by Henri Ducard, a member of a mysterious League. It's like great, another rich kid getting an elite school spot that most kids familys work generations of dedication to the League to get a spot, yet he gets a spot just off his name, I think his Dad must of co-financed the League or something.

When Ducard reveals the League's true purpose -- the complete destruction of Omaha City -- the young 'Buffet' returns to Omaha intent on cleaning up the city without resorting to murder. Its like totally without his Dads influence the league would of never revealed there plan.

With the help of Alfred, his loyal butler, and Lucius Fox, a tech expert at Buffet Enterprises, Jimmy Buffet is born.

That's whack!