warren buffet and nu

He's a good businessman, but he's a shark.

Won't deny that.

Funny how his train oil spills don't make splash headlines like other environmental spills do.

There have been plenty of train crashes and they do make headlines, especially when there's a big fireball like the one in Virginia. Mainstream media covers them, and NBC News reported that oil train dereailments hit record numbers in 2014. Even the Daily Show did a segment on how trains might be more dangerous than pipelines. If the implication is that Buffett can buy, or simply get sympathetic treatment from liberal media on railroad related stories, it's a dubious connection. Train spills are typically much smaller and more easily contained than pipeline bursts, especially where water is concerned, so they might affect fewer people. The Keystone Pipeline story is pretty interesting in that it's hardly unique as pipelines go, but environmental organizations decided to draw a line in the stand and make Keystone a litmus test. I also think they really, really hate the Koch Brothers.

mr buffet, one of the world wealthiest people, is one i wonder how much he supports nu. oregon has a very wealthy supporter, that spent millions on that program to make it one of the coolest places for a athlete to be at.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/31/4574556/oregon-football-building-new

i wonder why mr buffet does not give nu a few milion (pocket change) to upgade nu facilities like oregon, ,,,nu would probably be able to pursuade more recruits if he did.

If I remember somewhere when asked that in the past, he gives quite a bit of money to educaion in general. That money impacts NU indirectly. I can't remember how exactly he phrased it. He has nothing, at least he won't say publicly, against NU. Does he own a skybox in North Stadium? I saw him leaving the football stadium through the North Stadium with friends to a waiting shuttle.

Won't deny that.

Funny how his train oil spills don't make splash headlines like other environmental spills do.

There have been plenty of train crashes and they do make headlines, especially when there's a big fireball like the one in Virginia. Mainstream media covers them, and NBC News reported that oil train dereailments hit record numbers in 2014. Even the Daily Show did a segment on how trains might be more dangerous than pipelines. If the implication is that Buffett can buy, or simply get sympathetic treatment from liberal media on railroad related stories, it's a dubious connection. Train spills are typically much smaller and more easily contained than pipeline bursts, especially where water is concerned, so they might affect fewer people. The Keystone Pipeline story is pretty interesting in that it's hardly unique as pipelines go, but environmental organizations decided to draw a line in the stand and make Keystone a litmus test. I also think they really, really hate the Koch Brothers.

It's not even just liberal media, that he also owns, it's politicians and a president that veto the bill. But even heavy liberal media in Seattle WA are finally coming around to questioning BNSF and their lack of reporting spills.

I can definitely buy your last sentence.

Buffet has come out and said the reason he doesn't write a T. Boone Pickens type check is that the football team is already profitable. There is no point in giving money to someone that did not need it. If they actually needed the money then he would. Until then he would primarily donate to the educational side of the house.

• Fire 1

Some of you guys make it sound like Nike only became popular in the last 10 years. Nike does not need the University of Oregon.

I didn't get that at all from what people have said in this thread. Now if you want to claim Oregon has only gotten popular since Nike started wiping their a$$, then yes. Nike does not need Oregon but Oregon does need Nike. They are nowhere near where they are today without Phil Knoight. Not even close.

• Fire 2

Akili Smith did a little in the 90s to help Oregon make a solid run in the Pac 10. Then belotti started to build a program, handed the keys to Kelly who continued to push their profile. Once that success came along Papa Phil started opening pocket books to buy the program to where they're at today. It really hasn't been much more than 15 years that this Nike/Oregon explosion began. It makes me sick, like many of their fans do. It's one place I have no desire to see nebraska play in person.

Won't deny that.

It's not even just liberal media, that he also owns, it's politicians and a president that veto the bill. But even heavy liberal media in Seattle WA are finally coming around to questioning BNSF and their lack of reporting spills.

I can definitely buy your last sentence.

Agree. The Koch Brothers are just awful human beings.

Warren Buffet is very well known for his philanthropy and also a dedicated fan of Nebraska football. I think he's a man who's got his priorities in order and we're all better for it, never mind NU athletics.

I don't have a problem with guilt about money. The way I see it is that my money represents an enormous number of claim checks on society. It's like I have these little pieces of paper that I can turn into consumption. If I wanted to, I could hire 10,000 people to do nothing but paint my picture every day for the rest of my life. And the GDP would go up. But the utility of the product would be zilch, and I would be keeping those 10,000 people from doing AIDS research, or teaching, or nursing. I don't do that though. I don't use very many of those claim checks. There's nothing material I want very much. And I'm going to give virtually all of those claim checks to charity when my wife and I die. (Lowe 1997:165166)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett#Philanthropy

He's pledged to give 99% of his fortune, most of it through the Gates Foundation.

Do a little research as to why. Tax free, anyone?

I dunno if I trust the source but have heard Buffett has written buyout checks before.

Conspiracy theory or not it's not hard to understand that him donating to dems doesn't indeed help prevent the pipeline when BNSF currently profits off of hauling oil. Funny how his train oil spills don't make splash headlines like other environmental spills do. He's a good businessman, but he's a shark.

Not sure how the coverage is in Nebraska, but those derailments are top story on the news when they happen here in North Dakota....considering how they have tried to vaporize a couple towns nearby.

That said, do the Koch brothers play football?

If Buffet could launder $ thru the UNL athletic dpt. he certainly would. But since he can't, he just sticks to Wells Fargo:

Wells Fargo, the US bank in which the investment guru Warren Buffett is the biggest shareholder, is close to settling claims that lapses in anti-money laundering controls allowed Mexico's ruthless drug cartels to get cash into and out of the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wells-fargo-set-to-settle-moneylaundering-case-1921918.html

True story: back in the early 90s, I played a show(music concert) with one of Buffet's kids--a 'keyboardist'(mediocre at best)--well, let's just say, since the kid held shares in the Milwaukee based record label of which the Seattle based group I was in recorded with, we were 'required' to put him on stage with us for a few 'cameo' tunes. I think he fancied himself to be the George Winston of the midwest. Anyway, the kid lived in what was basically a French style castle near Lake MI, with imported antique French furniture from, uh, France--which I thought, BTW, was rather un-'Murican of him--had all the bells and whistles of well-heeled societ-eh, including an impending divorce from an apparently gold-digging wife, an in home fully equipped recording studio with Synclavier(~$100k synthesizer), and, apparently was suffering from self delusions as to talent and to his having 'earned his fortune all on his own'--to which fantasy I ascribed to an over intoxication of Wisconsin 'dairy air'.

Anyway, that's my Warren Buffet story...in short, I'm not a fan of the family.

Some of you guys make it sound like Nike only became popular in the last 10 years. Nike does not need the University of Oregon.

I didn't get that at all from what people have said in this thread. Now if you want to claim Oregon has only gotten popular since Nike started wiping their a$$, then yes. Nike does not need Oregon but Oregon does need Nike. They are nowhere near where they are today without Phil Knoight. Not even close.

Does Nike need Oregon? No. But don't kid yourself. Nike gets a huge amount of advertising because of Oregon.

If Buffet could launder $ thru the UNL athletic dpt. he certainly would. But since he can't, he just sticks to Wells Fargo:

Wells Fargo, the US bank in which the investment guru Warren Buffett is the biggest shareholder, is close to settling claims that lapses in anti-money laundering controls allowed Mexico's ruthless drug cartels to get cash into and out of the country.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wells-fargo-set-to-settle-moneylaundering-case-1921918.html

True story: back in the early 90s, I played a show(music concert) with one of Buffet's kids--a 'keyboardist'(mediocre at best)--well, let's just say, since the kid held shares in the Milwaukee based record label of which the Seattle based group I was in recorded with, we were 'required' to put him on stage with us for a few 'cameo' tunes. I think he fancied himself to be the George Winston of the midwest. Anyway, the kid lived in what was basically a French style castle near Lake MI, with imported antique French furniture from, uh, France--which I thought, BTW, was rather un-'Murican of him--had all the bells and whistles of well-heeled societ-eh, including an impending divorce from an apparently gold-digging wife, an in home fully equipped recording studio with Synclavier(~$100k synthesizer), and, apparently was suffering from self delusions as to talent and to his having 'earned his fortune all on his own'--to which fantasy I ascribed to an over intoxication of Wisconsin 'dairy air'.

Anyway, that's my Warren Buffet story...in short, I'm not a fan of the family.

My totally true Buffet story is, one time another unnamed young 'Buffet':

A young Buffet travels to the Far East, where he's trained in the martial arts by Henri Ducard, a member of a mysterious League. It's like great, another rich kid getting an elite school spot that most kids familys work generations of dedication to the League to get a spot, yet he gets a spot just off his name, I think his Dad must of co-financed the League or something.

When Ducard reveals the League's true purpose -- the complete destruction of Omaha City -- the young 'Buffet' returns to Omaha intent on cleaning up the city without resorting to murder. Its like totally without his Dads influence the league would of never revealed there plan.

With the help of Alfred, his loyal butler, and Lucius Fox, a tech expert at Buffet Enterprises, Jimmy Buffet is born.

• Fire 1