HOL: Top 5 Husker QBs Since 2002

Not sure how anyone could justify putting Lee ahead of Keller. Lee was remarkably inept and the very definition of a game manager QB. I'd venture to say that if any of those QB's, with the exception of Lee, had that 09 defense, then we likely have a berth in the title game that year.

to be fair to Lee he was throwing with a torn elbow.

I think he and Keller were both good, or at least both entirely capable of being good, but hamstringed either by injury or external forces.

I wouldn't argue any of that. I think Martinez put up more school records than Taylor, but Taylor was definitely the better thrower and had a high football IQ. Just a smart guy.

Agree 100%. One could argue for Zac Taylor to be in included in top 10 - top 12 all time. Without him BC would have had 4 losing years

It's tough to compare Husker QBs of the last 15 years. It's such a mixed bag. Comparing apples to watermelons.

Consider Jammal Lord. He's probly one of the top 20 option QBs of all time. Maybe top 10. He's definitely in the top 1%. But I doubt if anyone would consider Zac Taylor to be in the top 1% of passing QBs. Same could be said of Martinez being one of the best ever to run the spread option. Maybe *the* best. :lol:

Not sure how anyone could justify putting Lee ahead of Keller. Lee was remarkably inept and the very definition of a game manager QB. I'd venture to say that if any of those QB's, with the exception of Lee, had that 09 defense, then we likely have a berth in the title game that year.

I think you could certainly argue Keller had the better physical tools in comparison to Lee. But, I think there's a lot more at play here than just potential and ability. Keller quarterbacked the worst Nebraska team in the last ~40 years at the time. And while he did post some impressive passing numbers, I think the overall team's success is playing a factor here. Lee definitely had his struggles and played with injury, so, we're not really quite sure what he would've been able to do. You can argue that this is about quarterbacks and not the team, but, it's hard to completely separate the two IMHO.

I think you can definitely make a case for either of these guys flip-flopping. But, I don't think it's worth arguing who the 5th/6th best QB's in the last 15 years at Nebraska were. We can all agree the bottom part of this list was less than stellar as a Husker.

I think you could certainly argue Keller had the better physical tools in comparison to Lee. But, I think there's a lot more at play here than just potential and ability. Keller quarterbacked the worst Nebraska team in the last ~40 years at the time. And while he did post some impressive passing numbers, I think the overall team's success is playing a factor here. Lee definitely had his struggles and played with injury, so, we're not really quite sure what he would've been able to do. You can argue that this is about quarterbacks and not the team, but, it's hard to completely separate the two IMHO.

I think you can definitely make a case for either of these guys flip-flopping. But, I don't think it's worth arguing who the 5th/6th best QB's in the last 15 years at Nebraska were. We can all agree the bottom part of this list was less than stellar as a Husker.

Keller may have QB'ed the worst Nebraska team, Lee QB'ed the worst offensive Nebraska team we have seen in a while.

In my opinion, you shouldn't take into account the "what could have been" factor just because he played injured. He couldn't get it done because of injury, and that's what we saw. And all this really comes down to is opinion.

For me, production in tough games is important.

While Zac Lee had a 340 yards (career high) against Arkansas State. He also produced 51 total yards against Texas.

Keller's career high was 438 yards against Ball State. He also threw for 398 yards against USC. And of course, the game he got injured in, Texas. He threw for 298 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) before being taken out (Beat Jammal Charles' 290 yard running day by 8 yards!).

Those are just numbers though. I don't remember being too impressed by Keller during the season though. Ganz went on to break freakin' records, including Keller's short lived single game passing record in the game against KSU with 510 yards.

But right now, I would say I am way more impressed with Keller than Lee.

But it's all opinion, I could spew numbers forever. But if you showed me videos of each of them throwing the ball, Lee wins that battle (I despised Keller's throwing motion for some odd reason).

• Fire 1

Keller may have QB'ed the worst Nebraska team, Lee QB'ed the worst offensive Nebraska team we have seen in a while.

In my opinion, you shouldn't take into account the "what could have been" factor just because he played injured. He couldn't get it done because of injury, and that's what we saw. And all this really comes down to is opinion.

For me, production in tough games is important.

While Zac Lee had a 340 yards (career high) against Arkansas State. He also produced 51 total yards against Texas.

Keller's career high was 438 yards against Ball State. He also threw for 398 yards against USC. And of course, the game he got injured in, Texas. He threw for 298 yards and 2 TDs (0 ints) before being taken out (Beat Jammal Charles' 290 yard running day by 8 yards!).

Those are just numbers though. I don't remember being too impressed by Keller during the season though. Ganz went on to break freakin' records, including Keller's short lived single game passing record in the game against KSU with 510 yards.

But right now, I would say I am way more impressed with Keller than Lee.

But it's all opinion, I could spew numbers forever. But if you showed me videos of each of them throwing the ball, Lee wins that battle (I despised Keller's throwing motion for some odd reason).

Good points, especially about the numbers in big games. Numbers in big games pretty much destroys the argument for calling any of the guys on this list "great QB's" ya know.

I despise Keller because he is the reason there's not going to be a new NCAA football game on PS3 or Xbox. Freakin'a-hole.

• Fire 1

Good points, especially about the numbers in big games. Numbers in big games pretty much destroys the argument for calling any of the guys on this list "great QB's" ya know.

I despise Keller because he is the reason there's not going to be a new NCAA football game on PS3 or Xbox. Freakin'a-hole.

HAHA! This takes precedence...

But you're right, you take into account how each of these guys did in big games, and each one hadn't performed well. But I think in the Lee vs. Keller battle for #5 on the list of QB's in our "not so good-to-bad era", my argument sticks! ;) Lee is the most bottom feeding (well, still above Dailey and Green though).