Big12 Expansion?

nic

For now I would be happy with OU and KU coming in. 16 team leauge, 8 team divisions w/no fixed crossovers. Play your 7, plus 2 rotating from other division.

Nebraska Wisconsin Iowa Oklahoma Kansas Northwestern Illinois Minnesota

OhioState MichiganState PennState Michigan Rutgers Maryland Indiana Purdue

If Texas weaseled in, add them to the West and go after a Virginia or UConn or Syracuse for the East. Or go for the jugular and try to persuade Kentucky away since there are no GOR in the SEC.

Grant of Rights. Basically its a way to kill expansion, but if a team wanted out badly enough they could do it, it would just end up costing them.

Though we don't know what that cost would be, since no one has challenged them yet, and potential damages would be hard for the conference being left to establish if their media contracts continue to pay the same amount, regardless of the number of teams.

The way i understood GOR was that the remaining teams of the conference would have to stay intact and then prove that there would be a loss of $ with a team leaving the conference.

But if several leave and the league dissolves, then there is no basis for the GOR

Yes, it's assumed that there has to be a conference around to enforce the GOR. But three teams leaving the Big XII won't dissolve the conference, so the question becomes, what reasonable damages could be sought if the Big XII continues to receive the same amount of TV money, regardless if Texass, OU, and/or Kansas are no longer in the conference?

Another B12 bashing article by OU's beat writer. Wonder if OU admin is promoting any of this to Trammel to lay the groundwork for OU's move announcement?

http://newsok.com/big-12-expansion-why-nebraska-missouri-and-am-arent-returning-to-the-land-of-the-longhorn-network/article/5438498/?page=2

Yup. See post above where Frank the Tank pointed out other Trammel articles, that Chip Brown is getting in on the action and suggesting something is happening, and that Fox Sports walked back comments supporting OU/KU to the B1G. There's smoke to this fire.

NO TEXAS!

ONLY OU!

There is nothing wrong with Texas if they can be reigned in. And the B1G is the conference that can do that.

I bet they would even part ways with LHN.

Texas will not part ways with the LHN. If anything, Texass is going to sit on the LHN to force ESPN to cut bait and take the buyout to save Disney money. If Texass drops the LHN, they're walking away from a huge potential payday that should happen any time now (see Disney and ESPN financials, cord-cutters impacting television revenue, etc.)

And StPaulHusker is right--there's nothing wrong with Texass, provided Delaney can reign them in. And considering there are bigger fish in the conference (e.g. Michigan, tOSU) politically-speaking, Texass is likely to not get their way.

Plus, the lure of opening up Texass to the B1G is too much to pass up if it's legitimately on the table. Imagine moving the B1G Title Game to the Jerry Dome--it would get a lot more positive press and buildup compared to the Indianapolis joint.

And frankly, I don't see Texass returning to any semblance of long-term dominance with the whole of the B1G and SEC now in their backyard.

if we pick up 3 it may as well be 6 to get us to 20. So I think you have OU, KU and Iowa for 16, add UT to that mix if we go to 20.

So you guys really hate Iowa, eh?

Yes, but why do you ask?

I am surprised NU fans developed a hate for Iowa so quickly. I figured Iowa was pretty much a 'don't care' team to NU fans for decades. Even after joining the Big10, I figured they would continue to be a 'don't care' team despite the manufactured rivalry. Kind of like Iowa St. might have been in the Big12/8. I have been a Big 10 fan for decades and don't really hate or like Iowa. I don't mind if they do well in the Big Ten, but they are not a favorite team or anything. I always pictured their fans as being fairly passive.

funny stuff from Landtheives re the B12

Originally Posted by ajn2003 View Post

I have decided this league is the college sports equivalent of Jefferson Airplane. It used to be cool and then it became Jefferson Starship. Now it's just starship. OU is the equivalent of one of the original members and is looking around the studio watching Baylor singing "Nothing's gonna stop us now" thinking to itself "WTF have we done?"
  • Fire 4

if we pick up 3 it may as well be 6 to get us to 20. So I think you have OU, KU and Iowa for 16, add UT to that mix if we go to 20.

So you guys really hate Iowa, eh?

Yes, but why do you ask?

I am surprised NU fans developed a hate for Iowa so quickly. I figured Iowa was pretty much a 'don't care' team to NU fans for decades. Even after joining the Big10, I figured they would continue to be a 'don't care' team despite the manufactured rivalry. Kind of like Iowa St. might have been in the Big12/8. I have been a Big 10 fan for decades and don't really hate or like Iowa. I don't mind if they do well in the Big Ten, but they are not a favorite team or anything. I always pictured their fans as being fairly passive.

I think there are enough people around who still remember them talking smack before OOC games back in the day, coupled with them beating us in Lincoln 2 years ago. The trophy and rivalry have been manufacutured, but the disdain has always been there. Geographically there was always tension/jealousy.

• 4 weeks later...

Big 12 just needs to go get Boise State. Just do it already. Boise is a good program and football drives the money anyway.

After that I think they should go after Colorado State.

Split the Divisions like this

North

Boise State

Colorado State

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

West Virginia

South

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

TCU

Texas Tech

Texas

Big 12 just needs to go get Boise State. Just do it already. Boise is a good program and football drives the money anyway.

After that I think they should go after Colorado State.

Split the Divisions like this

North

Boise State

Colorado State

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

West Virginia

South

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

TCU

Texas Tech

Texas

Boise yes Colorado state is a step up from Kansas football wise but that's it. Boise and Byu would be a solid addition.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd think the Texas fans would be pushing hard (and some apparently are on Shaggy site) to change conferences given the state of their program, their rival A&M doing well in the SEC and their pretty boring home schedule. Aside from OU, do they have any true peers in that conference?

You'd think the Texas fans would be pushing hard (and some apparently are on Shaggy site) to change conferences given the state of their program, their rival A&M doing well in the SEC and their pretty boring home schedule. Aside from OU, do they have any true peers in that conference?

You're making the assumption that Texass views Oklahoma as a peer and not a lackey.