Athlon Sports: Setting First-Year Expectations for Nebraska's Mike Riley

How Many Regular Season Games Will Nebraska Win in 2015?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By the way, NEWS FLASH:

I didn't think the last coaching staff were very good teachers. As much as I think the team will be learning from the new staff, I think they'll be fighting to unlearn and break some of the old habits on the field.

These guys will be getting more technical and position based teaching instead of playing offense and defense all practice long.

I also think there's some mentality issues as far as lack of aggression, taking plays off, and not playing through to the whistles that needs to be addressed.

I think there are plenty of underlying issues here. A lot of culture aspects and team mentality issues to clean up. I'm sure the weight training staff has been pushing these guys a little harder than they're used to. I've heard they're seeing results there too.

There's gonna be a lot of things we don't know about or hear about too much when such a polarizing HC is fired. A lot of the guys loved him, a lot of guys felt what they were doing was "good enough", and some of them probably still have some resentment for "their guy" being fired.

You can be a great coach, you can have a great philosophy, a great plan and a great scheme, but if you don't have the players' full attention and they haven't bought in, then it really won't matter.

I wonder how much of the distaste has been washed away and how much of the negativity they've been fed for their entire careers still lingers? I think it'd be foolish to think it's just gone like .....POOF! some magic trick. It may take some time for this staff to gain the respect of some of these guys.

As far as all the things you mentioned Saunders, I guess I think that's kind of a no brainer. Kind of DUH......No kidding Nebraska is a better situation than Kansas or Oregon St.?

I don't need to sandbag anybody's potential. I've already said this team is loaded with talent. I've said I think these coaches are very talented. How you see that as sandbagging is very strange and I think once again you were confused by my comment. You should stop reading them, honestly, I couldn't recommend it more than I am now.

It wasn't your specific comment that prompted that, but an overall trend. Consider it a pre-emptive strike for the kneejerk reaction to blame Pelini after Riley's first loss.

Considering the (now former) player who was probably Pelini's most outspoken supporter has not only embraced the new staff but is vocal about it, I'm inclined to think getting players to accept the new staff is a non-issue. Bell would have no reason to even come back if he was half as brainwashed as the team is being made out to be.

I think the whole thing is overblown and always has been. The actions of one person have been projected and expounded upon the entire team with very little basis.

• Fire 4

Meh, I would wager 7 SEC teams are ranked in top 5 by week 5.

I would say a 4-0 start would land us at 15th or a spot or 2 below. Doesn't matter though unless we can beat MSU and Sparty.

Corrected your error

Lmao, yeah a few teams will share the 4th and 5th spots.

Maybe there should be a poll for how many games will Nebraska win and how many games should Nebraska win.

I read that we should have vast improvements in the program, including:

• Better head coach.
  • Ridding of culture/mentality problem that some feel we have.
  • Better WR coach (read: not golf). Kenny Bell came back to work with him. Before one game, saying we need to open the checkbook.
  • No more Coach Kaz.
  • "Aggressive/attacking" defense.
  • More coaching experience across the board.
  • QB Whisperer.
  • No more Tim Beck or getting Beck'd.
  • Dedicated special teams coach.
  • Recruiting "effort."
  • Less WR option routes = less confusion.
  • Better "player development."
  • Better strength and conditioning program.
  • All of our tough conference games are at home, not away like last year.

Did I miss anything?

On the other hand:

• We lost Ameer and Randy (who allegedly took plays off).
  • We have to play BYU (home). They are experienced and good.
  • We have to play Miami away, while they lost more talent to the NFL than we did. Zero players on ACC preseason team.

If all of the above is true, I think we should win more than nine games.

• Fire 1

Maybe there should be a poll for how many games will Nebraska win and how many games should Nebraska win.

I read that we should have vast improvements in the program, including:

• Better head coach.
  • Ridding of culture/mentality problem that some feel we have.

Since I believe there are some culture/mentality issues with the team (laziness, passion, agression, etc.) should I expect these issues to be resolved by the start of the season?
  • Better WR coach (read: not golf). Kenny Bell came back to work with him. Before one game, saying we need to open the checkbook.
  • No more Coach Kaz.
  • "Aggressive/attacking" defense.

Is this aggressive/attacking defense automatically better? Or should I expect maybe some hiccups in the players learning the new system? Is this defense immune from being beaten simply because it is aggressive?
  • More coaching experience across the board.
  • QB Whisperer.
  • No more Tim Beck or getting Beck'd.
  • Dedicated special teams coach.
  • Recruiting "effort."
  • Less WR option routes = less confusion.
  • Better "player development."
  • Better strength and conditioning program.
  • All of our tough conference games are at home, not away like last year.

Did I miss anything?

No, I think you pretty well nailed it.

On the other hand:

• We lost Ameer and Randy (who allegedly took plays off).

Gregory is a loss whether he took plays off or not, I'd also add Kenny Bell as a significant loss.
  • We have to play BYU (home). They are experienced and good.
  • We have to play Miami away, while they lost more talent to the NFL than we did. Zero players on ACC preseason team.

I'd add some inherent challenges of being a first year staff to the list of things that can make a first season difficult.

New offensive scheme

New defensive scheme

New language

Less familiarity with the talent and depth chart

Less familiarity with opponents in new conference

If all of the above is true, I think we should win more than nine games.

Yea, I think we could win 9. I'm not sure what we should win, or what to expect. The first year makes that more difficult. I'd love to give an idea of what to expect in the second or third years. I mean, I don't even know what the depth chart looks like for this Husker team. I don't think the coaches even know.

Not the same question but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Gosh I wish we could get past determining success/failure based solely on W/L. Its like stating that the success of your life is based on the amount of money you make. This is the reason we still debate on whether or not Bo had to go.

Gosh I wish we could get past determining success/failure based solely on W/L. Its like stating that the success of your life is based on the amount of money you make. This is the reason we still debate on whether or not Bo had to go.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

• Fire 2