Grantland: Coaching Hot Seats

So ... obviously this doesn't include Riley. So why this forum? Because apparently out of the eight coaches they picked, three of the five hottest happen to be on the Huskers' schedule this year.

Perhaps we'll get the Riley Era started by ending the Era of a couple other guys.

Warning: a couple NSFW words in here.

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa - 7/10
In recent years, any suggestion that Ferentz was on the hot seat was met with a chorus of “THAT BUYOUT THO!” — a compelling, near-unassailable counterargument referencing the massive $39.8 million contract extension the Iowa coach inked in 2010. As Grantland’s Matt Hinton recently explained, though, Ferentz’s legendarily long leash may finally be shortening — five straight years of abjectly mediocre football will do that — and another 7-6 season probably isn’t going to cut it.

Changing narrative aside, I fully expect Ferentz to barely eke out nine wins, keep his job, and proceed to torment Hawkeyes fans for many years to come.

Al Golden, Miami - 8/10
Incidentally, Golden’s commendably dapper sideline attire is also worth eight fire emoji. Huzzah!

Unfortunately, this may be his most redeeming coaching quality. As we all know, good fashion sense takes folks only so far in major college football, and on Miami’s hierarchy of important coaching traits, the ability to wear a tie falls well below the ability to develop recruits, beat Florida State, and willingly engage in large-scale impropriety, none of which Golden has done particularly well in his four years with the Hurricanes.

Was Golden dealt a crappy hand when the NCAA began to investigate Miami almost immediately after he started his tenure there? You bet. But, to quote a coaching legend, this ain’t intramurals, brother! This is the [redacted] ACC. And with fan apathy at Miami reaching embarrassing levels, Golden must right the ship this season in order to remain gainfully employed. Spoiler alert: Don’t count on it.

Tim Beckman, Illinois - 10/10
Believe it or not, Beckman’s incomprehensible opening statement at Big Ten media days wasn’t even the lowest point of his own damn press conference: That moment came when he was asked about the abuse allegations that have dogged him all offseason, which he basically refused to address.

Between this emerging scandal and his 12-25 overall record at Illinois, it’s easy to see why Beckman is on thin ice. Yes, you could say that the Illini’s record has improved in each of the past two seasons, but then you’d be arguing that a 35-18 loss to Louisiana Tech in the 2014 Heart of Dallas Bowl represented legitimate progress for an ostensibly major program. It’ll be a minor miracle if Beckman isn’t collecting severance this time next year.

Link

• Fire 1

Wow, all these guys are big names in coaching. They've each been counted among the coaching media darlings within the past several years. Well, maybe not MacIntyre and Beckman. But the others were among the hot available coaches when they inked their current contracts. Interesting how a guy can go from a rock star to a bum in just a handful of seasons.

I found this pretty funny.

Mike MacIntyre, Colorado

mike-macintyre-hot-seat-tri.jpg?w=694

Be honest: If not for the above picture, would you have any clue what MacIntyre looks like? No? Yes? Whatever the case may be, that this question needs to be asked is a decidedly inauspicious sign for MacIntyre’s tenure in Boulder, which probably won’t be very long.

At this point, the nicest thing that can be said about him is that his ignominious coaching stint hasn’t brought the Buffaloes a whole lot of negative attention. Under MacIntyre’s watch, Colorado has morphed into one of the most anonymous Power 5 programs in the FBS, and there’s little reason to think that’s going to change in 2015. It seems likely that Big Mac will be mercifully dismissed when December rolls around. (Note: I have no idea if he goes by Big Mac.)

• Fire 1

Hopefully Beckman is gone along with Purdue's coach. Not sure why these programs got coaches on the cheap. You can have some success at both these schools with the right coach as both have made it to the Rose Bowl this century. Also didn't like how Beckman went after Penn State's kids.

B1G schools like Illinois, Purdue, etc need to start investing in their programs and going after quality coaches.

I think Colorado's football program is so destroyed they can't afford to fire MacIntyre. They already fired Hawkins and that black guy (can't seem to remember his name). How would it look if they fired Mac? 3 firings in a period of several years...Who would want that job?

This and hasn't the issue there been money. They can't afford to pay Power 5 money for coaches or pay out the ones they've hired.

I think Colorado's football program is so destroyed they can't afford to fire MacIntyre. They already fired Hawkins and that black guy (can't seem to remember his name). How would it look if they fired Mac? 3 firings in a period of several years...Who would want that job?

This and hasn't the issue there been money. They can't afford to pay Power 5 money for coaches or pay out the ones they've hired.

They may not have the big boosters like other schools. But, at least their used to be some interesting laws in Colorado as far as paying coaches and their contracts. Not sure that ever got resolved.

I know the DC that just left was making almost 500k - which isn't exactly chump change for a coordinator. I don't think CO can hit the 5 mill to get a tier 1 candidate, but they are firmly in the ballpark of what most make which is 2-2.5 million. And if I remember right their assistant pool was almost identical to Nebraska's Tim Beck inflated number.