The Repub Debate

Instead of simply using Trump as an example, use Buffett. Started with the same means as many of us and built up his fortune over time.

A decade ago, my mindset was more like Moraine's. In the past 3 years, I've been mentored by a lot of extremely successful entrepreneurs (most of whom came from similar backgrounds of us) and I've experienced a complete mindset shift. From what I've learned, I can say that this is 100% true:

Being financially successful through entrepreneurship is not a matter of luck or circumstance. The number one deciding factor in who will be successful (and it's not even close) is simply DESIRE.

Desire to make lots of money.

Desire to be in control of your own life.

Desire to retire your parents.

Desire to give back more.

Etc....

Not circumstance.

There's also a factor of "too big to fail" with kids of rich parents. We bailed out the banks a few years ago because they were too integral to our society to allow them to fail. Rich parents can bail out their poor kids when they fail. Poor families can't.

Case in point, that affluenza kid.

That case was infuriating.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/earle-mack-super-pac-paul-ryan-president/2016/03/07/id/717944/

Regarding a brokered convention, here is a new PAC that wants to draft Paul Ryan. I was going to mentioned in my post above that he might be the consensus candidate if the convention went beyond the 1st ballot. He has enough street cred on both the moderate and the conservative side.

He's said he's flattered, but not interested......so what then?

There's also a factor of "too big to fail" with kids of rich parents. We bailed out the banks a few years ago because they were too integral to our society to allow them to fail. Rich parents can bail out their poor kids when they fail. Poor families can't.

Case in point, that affluenza kid.

That case was infuriating.

That case is infuriating. However, I would not take that case as the norm.

Are any of you guys that vote R excited about Cruz?

I started wt Walker, then Rubio and now I will have to settle for Cruz as the anti-Trump. I still think Rubio would have been the better GE candidate but he has self destructed and needs to get out before the vote in Florida so someone other that Trump can have a path to the nomination. At this point, I wish it were Kasich that had been the guy to be challenging Trump.

Rumors floating Rubio dropping out BEFORE debate unless his polling improves. Interesting. It's basically a Trump lock, them, right?

You're right, BRB. That case wasn't the norm. But I saw a video not too long ago of a drunk neurologist demanding an Uber that wasn't hers take her instead and proceeding to berate driver and literally tear his car up when he said no. Guy handled it like a champ and kept his cool. She ended up getting suspended from her residency and having to go on Good Morning America style shows to apologize.

Point is, privileged people can easily become drunk off their power and think their status somehow justifies bad behavior. It's why you're seeing Trump be such a prick as the face of the GOP right now.

Rumors floating Rubio dropping out BEFORE debate unless his polling improves. Interesting. It's basically a Trump lock, them, right?

You're right, BRB. That case wasn't the norm. But I saw a video not too long ago of a drunk neurologist demanding an Uber that wasn't hers take her instead and proceeding to berate driver and literally tear his car up when he said no. Guy handled it like a champ and kept his cool. She ended up getting suspended from her residency and having to go on Good Morning America style shows to apologize.

Point is, privileged people can easily become drunk off their power and think their status somehow justifies bad behavior. It's why you're seeing Trump be such a prick as the face of the GOP right now.

I'm not sure what the Uber drunk girl has to do with this. So....people who aren't rich don't act like that some times?

And....she was in residency. I'm not sure from that we can garner that she was this ultra rich bitch compared to other people.

Are you saying also that she wasn't punished? What should her punishment be? She quite frankly might lose her ability to become a doctor. Even if not, it is being delayed. Let's say it's delayed one year. Let's say a doctor fresh out of residency makes $100,000 per year. She is basically being fined $100,000 of lifetime earnings.

Also, I would bet the embarrassment of her actions going viral are a pretty dang good punishment.

Also...are you saying that a all, or at the least a vast majority, of rich people act like this?

If so....I would think there would be one hell of a lot more viral videos like this.

For every bitch like this there are thousands of "rich people" that are fantastic people who care about society and their fellow citizens.

If I have some time I'll see if I can find an article on fivethirtyeight. They did a one-on-one comparison of each Republican vs. Trump. So, Cruz vs Trump, Rubio vs. Trump, etc. I want to say that both Cruz and Rubio were projected to beat Trump if it was a head-to-head battle. Now, so far into the race with counts being what they are, Trump might not be able to be stopped. It's certainly not a lock.

I'm not sure what the Uber drunk girl has to do with this. So....people who aren't rich don't act like that some times?

And....she was in residency. I'm not sure from that we can garner that she was this ultra rich bitch compared to other people.

Are you saying also that she wasn't punished? What should her punishment be? She quite frankly might lose her ability to become a doctor. Even if not, it is being delayed. Let's say it's delayed one year. Let's say a doctor fresh out of residency makes $100,000 per year. She is basically being fined $100,000 of lifetime earnings.

Also, I would bet the embarrassment of her actions going viral are a pretty dang good punishment.

Also...are you saying that a all, or at the least a vast majority, of rich people act like this?

If so....I would think there would be one hell of a lot more viral videos like this.

For every bitch like this there are thousands of "rich people" that are fantastic people who care about society and their fellow citizens.

I feel like you're inflating my point with a fair amount of hyperbole.

I'm not in any way saying all rich people act like this. Or that people with lesser amounts of wealth or power don't act like this. There are pricks from all walks of life.

What I AM saying is that I think as one acquires more wealth or power in their lifetime, it's easier to succumb to the air of elitism that sometimes pervades such circles. If you ARE a person of few scruples, I think it could be easier to show displays of what others would consider unacceptable behavior beliving either your position somehow justifies it or it will protect you from the consequences.

The Uber girl was an example of this. Here's the video:

She did get suspended from her job as a neuro resident. I personally think it's a good thing. Call it an injection of perspective and humility. She may need to sit down and reevaluate how she treats people. She's 30 years old and obviously a very successful person. But again, for whatever reason she needed to go off on that poor guy like that.

How much of it is in part due to her success in life? I think it's a fair question.

I just hate it when people who are blessed with good lives turn around and mistreat people. I realize that's a minority, but I despise that minority.

I saw the video when it first came out. I know which girl you are talking about.

I am assuming you are using her as an example of how a majority or at least a lot of rich people act because you used her as an example of this in this thread.

Look, I have spent ONE HELL of a lot of time in bars all the way from the trashiest low rent bars to some pretty high class joints. Believe me, being an a$$hole is not specific to a certain income class.

But, it becomes common place for many people when they see a rich person being an a$$hole to point and say...AH HAAAA....See, rich people are ass holes.