The Repub Debate

The results thus far today indicate a strong showing by Cruz, a mediocre showing by Trump, and a dreadful showing for Rubio. I think Cruz performing well may play into Trump's hands some as I think he'll perform better in a matchup with Cruz than Rubio since most of the remaining states aren't as favorable to Cruz. It will be interesting to see what happens if a contested convention occurs in a two man race between Cruz and Trump as I don't believe the establishment would accept either candidate.

I liked what Louis C.K. said about Hitler. Don't have the quote but basically it was that Trump isn't a monster and neither was Hitler. Hitler was human and that's why he was able to do what he did.

Trump thinks what he's planning on doing is right. He wants to change torture laws so that the torture he has the military conduct is legal, he wants to make it easier to sue the media, he wants to get rid of all illegal immigrants (and maybe some of the legal ones who aren't White) and he likely thinks all of this will help protect the country.

One big difference is Trump manages to skirt the line when it comes to actually saying he wants to get rid of people (other than illegals). Hitler didn't hide his dislike for the jews. He made it clear.

• Fire 2

That's very well said.

It's the fervent Trump supporters -- people with whom he *really* connects, the ones that go "He's saying EXACTLY what I feel, but can't say."

Trump may still find a way to lose this race. He actually looks quite vulnerable now, and you have to figure he has no shot if it gets to a brokered convention. But those supporters aren't going away. As long as they're here, the kinds of politicians that become possible and the kinds of policies that become permissible are quite frightening.

The idea that Trump will be as authoritarian as Hitler is completely overblown. While he does have a few policies that will cause a large change, as Moraine referenced (which I do believe he will be quite forceful with, but I also believe that's necessary).

One of the reasons I like Trump is because he favors limited government and free enterprise. He will cut or downsize several corrupt and unnecessary government programs such as the IRS and make a lot of decisions and policies more localized. He's also (obviously) a proponent of free enterprise. I know a lot of posts I have seen on here are complaints about wealth inequality in America, but the reason the top 1% have so much money is because they earned it through entrepreneurship. What America needs today isn't more people looking for jobs to earn their money. What we need is more people willing to go out and create their own income through entrepreneurship and CREATE jobs and opportunities for others. IMO, Trump is the candidate who will best support a system where there are less road blocks and regulations to starting and running a business.

• Fire 2

The idea that Trump will be as authoritarian as Hitler is completely overblown. While he does have a few policies that will cause a large change, as Moraine referenced (which I do believe he will be quite forceful with, but I also believe that's necessary).

One of the reasons I like Trump is because he favors limited government and free enterprise. He will cut or downsize several corrupt and unnecessary government programs such as the IRS and make a lot of decisions and policies more localized. He's also (obviously) a proponent of free enterprise. I know a lot of posts I have seen on here are complaints about wealth inequality in America, but the reason the top 1% have so much money is because they earned it through entrepreneurship. What America needs today isn't more people looking for jobs to earn their money. What we need is more people willing to go out and create their own income through entrepreneurship and CREATE jobs and opportunities for others. IMO, Trump is the candidate who will best support a system where there are less road blocks and regulations to starting and running a business.

On the topic of cutting government agencies, did it bother you at all during the last debate when Wallace asked him for specific numbers on flushing out "waste, fraud, and abuse," and his answer about cutting the DOE and EPA would only save about $86 billion of a $544 billion dollar national deficit? He then talked about lower drug prices via Medicare, who only spends $78 billion a year total. Even if that was somehow free, we're still less than a third of the way into balancing the budget.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/03/03/trump-ill-balance-budget-with-better-negotiation-cutting-doe-epa-and-waste-fraud-and-abuse/

I could see if you're interested in strengthening the overall principles of free enterprise and limited government. However, for a guy who touts himself on his business savvy, Trump sure seems confounded when presented with actual numbers.

On the topic of cutting government agencies, did it bother you at all during the last debate when Wallace asked him for specific numbers on flushing out "waste, fraud, and abuse," and his answer about cutting the DOE and EPA would only save about $86 billion of a $544 billion dollar national deficit? He then talked about lower drug prices via Medicare, who only spends $78 billion a year total. Even if that was somehow free, we're still less than a third of the way into balancing the budget.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/03/03/trump-ill-balance-budget-with-better-negotiation-cutting-doe-epa-and-waste-fraud-and-abuse/

I could see if you're interested in strengthening the overall principles of free enterprise and limited government. However, for a guy who touts himself on his business savvy, Trump sure seems confounded when presented with actual numbers.

No, because you have to start somewhere...There is no magic plan that would just make it all go away.

If there was one absolute perfect plan that was super easy...it would already be in use.

It would be great if one of them had some super simple plan that would fix it the second they were sworn in.

Did the top 1% really earn their wealth through their (not inherited) entrepreneurship? Show me some numbers. People are willing to go out and create, but statistics are not in their favor. Most entrepreneurs fail, that's just a fact. If we get rid of the IRS who's taking care of taxes? If we get rid of regs who's paying for my bottled water and gas mask? It's not in any company's best interest to take care of the environment with out regulations in place. Do some of these agencies need a revamp? Maybe, but eliminating them will make things worse for everyone but the corporations.

I know knapp said recently that the Hitler card gets played too much after someone posted a photo of Clinton next to Hitler.

But today Trump asked supporters at a rally to raise their right hands and then had them say a pledge where they promised to vote for him. You can read the full article on CNN.

Cc0GH_sWAAA2fR2.jpg

HEY! Why doesn't that black guy have his hand up? :lol:

But yeah, that picture is embarrassing.

Did the top 1% really earn their wealth through their (not inherited) entrepreneurship? Show me some numbers. People are willing to go out and create, but statistics are not in their favor. Most entrepreneurs fail, that's just a fact. If we get rid of the IRS who's taking care of taxes? If we get rid of regs who's paying for my bottled water and gas mask? It's not in any companies best interest to take care of the environment with out regulations in place. Do some of these agencies need a revamp? Maybe, but eliminating them will make things worse for everyone but the corporations.

I have always wondered who was going to enforce our tax laws if we get rid of the IRS.

Also, if we have every state have their own environmental laws, that would be a disaster.

• Fire 2

Did the top 1% really earn their wealth through their (not inherited) entrepreneurship? Show me some numbers. People are willing to go out and create, but statistics are not in their favor. Most entrepreneurs fail, that's just a fact. If we get rid of the IRS who's taking care of taxes? If we get rid of regs who's paying for my bottled water and gas mask? It's not in any companies best interest to take care of the environment with out regulations in place. Do some of these agencies need a revamp? Maybe, but eliminating them will make things worse for everyone but the corporations.
I have always wondered who was going to enforce our tax laws if we get rid of the IRS.

Also, if we have every state have their own environmental laws, that would be a disaster.

When someone says they want to get rid of the IRS I find it absurd (something you rarely hear though). Yeah, they're probably bloated and need some trimming down like any government agency; but in this day and age with interstate, internet, and mass interstate commerce we basically have to have federal oversight.

And you're right about state regulated environmental laws. How pissed would Nebraskan's be if Colorado or Wyoming dupmed sewage or somehing harmeful into one of the the Platte rivers because it was legal there. Kansas would be SOL on the Republican river as well.

If Nebraska wanted to, they could bring in the crappiest of industries and plop them down in south east Nebraska. Dump everything in the Missouri and never see it again.

Air pollution??? Most winds blow to the east....don't need to worry about that either.

Yep. It's a terrible idea. The other thing that would happen is the companies that pollute the most will just move their businesses to the states with the most lenient environmental laws. So states will have to decide between $ and their citizens' health.

I almost always hear something to the effect of 'switch to a flat tax' in response to what happens when the IRS is gone. Getting rid of either of them is a horrible idea and so is getting rid of the Department of Education.