Possible suspension? Some WR's maybe not ready?

Man this is still going on. You guys need to go back and listen to the USC podcast of this guy from yesterday. Listening to him talk about the meeting gives you a completely different impression than what was written down. The LB being high maintenance and possibly transferring is discussed as being a long shot. I think things are getting blown way out of proportion.

On a Husker football thread? No OOoooo. /sarcasm

• Fire 1

Man this is still going on. You guys need to go back and listen to the USC podcast of this guy from yesterday. Listening to him talk about the meeting gives you a completely different impression than what was written down. The LB being high maintenance and possibly transferring is discussed as being a long shot. I think things are getting blown way out of proportion.

Listened to it. It doesn't change what was put out. How many players are going to listen to the USC podcast? Is the high maintenance player going to listen to it and get a different impression? I don't think so.

• Fire 1

No so hot on saying a player is high maintenance

What else would you call a player who is high maintenance besides "high maintenance"?...

...and what is wrong with a player who is "high maintenance" finding out that is what his coach thinks about him?

When Mitch Krenk and one of his buddies were struggling to stay on the team in their early years, they decided that they couldn't afford to be "high maintenance" and in fact had to be "no maintenance" unless the staff figured that they just weren't worth the effort. Both stayed on the team and saw playing time.

and put out publicly words of encouragement as warranted

...and everybody should get a participation trophy so as not to shatter anyone's fragile self esteem, and the coaches should peel oranges for everybody and the score doesn't decide whether they go for ice cream after the game and all boo-boos should be kissed and given a Sponge Bob Band-Aid...

• Fire 7

What else would you call a player who is high maintenance besides "high maintenance"?...

...and what is wrong with a player who is "high maintenance" finding out that is what his coach thinks about him?

When Mitch Krenk and one of his buddies were struggling to stay on the team in their early years, they decided that they couldn't afford to be "high maintenance" and in fact had to be "no maintenance" unless the staff figured that they just weren't worth the effort. Both stayed on the team and saw playing time.

What else would you call a high maintenance player? How about nothing while a reporter is there with the intent of writing about the meeting.

• Fire 2

What else would you call a high maintenance player? How about nothing while a reporter is there with the intent of writing about the meeting.

84681525.gif

• Fire 2

84681525.gif

Id ban you for that if possible.

• Fire 2

Some people are also operating under the assumption that the coaches have not informed said player that he is "high maintenance." Perhaps they didn't word it so eloquently to the player, but, that player may still be very well aware of what the coaches think of him.

That said, this is one part of the article I take big issue with. In my opinion, there are some things that need to stay behind closed doors and this is one of them.

• Fire 2

Maybe we should put this in perspective:

Do you suppose Geno Smith would rather have had his college coach tell the press that Geno has a little bit of an attitude problem or wait for this guy to tell him:

Ik%20Enemkpali.jpg

Which would have been better in the long run?

The better question is not would, but should the press be told, in my opinion. I keep going back and forth on this. In one hand, it's valuable to know a player's personality because it can open a door into why they may be performing a certain way and what kind of human being they are.

In the other hand, it's not very fair for thousands of people who don't personally know him to judge him if he hasn't really done anything wrong. In conjunction, it's more of a coach's problem then it is for the fans. What can we do about a personality problem? Nothing.

Again, I can see arguments for both sides here but I personally have always leaned towards the side of letting more things say behind closed doors. I know fans, especially football fans, crave any piece of info. they can get. But, sometimes, I think we'd all be a lot happier if we just took our foot of the gas and just chilled out.

• Fire 1

Why don't you guys pull your panties out of your crack. From the article itself, it sounds like Riley keeps the lines of communication open with players, as well as parents. Most everyone, media and fans alike, complained the last several years over lack of information and one little article from a 1000 miles away, sends people in a tizzy about what should be released. Urban Meyer threw it out there in the most public way possible and I didn't see any hand wringing from Ohio St. fans about it. And Urban was informed barely 10 minutes before he gave out the information. He did not wait to have a meeting with the players or the parents.

Get a freaking life.

“He has drug and alcohol and poor character issues,” Gundy says.

“Other than that ...,” Cavanaugh cracks.

That's hilarious and I already liked Cavanaugh.

I don't have a problem with anything in the article.

Just because certain behaviors in non-transparency or political correctness are commonplace does not in any way prove they are "right" or even "necessary". High performance people always differentiate themselves. They do things their way, and they know why. This staff is more open than the previous staff. Too open? So far I think no. If they start saying things like Tommy can't hit the deep out then I'd worry but they aren't going to do that.

• Fire 3

Why don't you guys pull your panties out of your crack. From the article itself, it sounds like Riley keeps the lines of communication open with players, as well as parents. Most everyone, media and fans alike, complained the last several years over lack of information and one little article from a 1000 miles away, sends people in a tizzy about what should be released. Urban Meyer threw it out there in the most public way possible and I didn't see any hand wringing from Ohio St. fans about it. And Urban was informed barely 10 minutes before he gave out the information. He did not wait to have a meeting with the players or the parents.

Get a freaking life.

Difference here is that it came from Urban Meyer, not some reporter 1600 miles away. No one would have a problem with a news story about suspensions if it came straight from the horses mouth first.

• Fire 1

Get a freaking life.

Difference here is that it came from Urban Meyer, not some reporter 1600 miles away. No one would have a problem with a news story about suspensions if it came straight from the horses mouth first.

It also came direct from Riley, he had one reporter within earshot and Meyer had 60, most of which were NOT from Ohio and some likely from 1600 miles away. big freaking deal.