Possible suspension? Some WR's maybe not ready?

What did Meyer say?

He announced the suspension of his players at B10 media days within minutes after having it whispered in his ear by someone in the AD dept. right before he was to give an interview.

That's... not how it happened. They'd known for at least a month about the suspensions. It was talked about on the ESPN podcast by Ivan Maisel and Adam Rittenberg.

So Urban announced the suspensions after the media was already talking about it, just as Riley did? Weird

Weird yet true.....

What did Meyer say?

He announced the suspension of his players at B10 media days within minutes after having it whispered in his ear by someone in the AD dept. right before he was to give an interview.

That's... not how it happened. They'd known for at least a month about the suspensions. It was talked about on the ESPN podcast by Ivan Maisel and Adam Rittenberg.

That is how it happened.

What did Meyer say?

Meyer intentionally announced the suspensions in front of a gathering of media with the goal of said information being immediately disseminated to the public.

The Portland reporter sat in on a Tuesday meeting, waited two days to publish his article, admitted he thought Riley was going to announce the suspensions before his article was published and Riley admitted he didn't want the suspension announcement to come out the way it did. Clearly, a communication error between coach and reporter.

The only real, valid comparison between these two scenarios is that players were suspended. Several other factors are incomparable.

Pointless response, just because it did not come out identical does not make the two incomparable. Riley was going to announce them as well and you want to quibble over timeline. :hmmph The point is, that this whole 5 page thread is pointless and downright silly, but carry on about it further if you like. :dunno

You call my response pointless, but, then respond with an even more pointless retort arguing the relevance of the thread? Apparently, hypocrisy escapes you.

And your argument regarding the two cases is laughable. The timeline is everything, as in the variables surrounding it. If you don't see that, I can't explain it to you any better.

Now, if you find the thread uninteresting, move along. Telling everyone a thread is pointless to boost your own ego is useless and nobody cares. No one is forcing you to read the thread.

The timeline does not mean squat!! Nothing in this you have written is relevant. Riley had already had meetings and notified the players that they would be suspended, just as Urban had done the same. Others on both teams already knew. That's why this is no big deal and this thread is pointless. Just because you and others found out by reading about it and got your panties in a wad, well woop dee doo! Nobody cares, I am just pointing out the stupidity of it all.. BTW my ego is fine..

Just relax everyone.............good lord! I don't necessarily have a problem with anything that was in this article. It's refreshing to see the staff be so open compared to what we had before, but there is a line, I trust Mike Riley knows what that line is which is why you didn't see any names mentioned. I can see how some folks would get a little upset with some of the information in this article, but is it really worth everyone getting so worked up over?

Why don't you guys pull your panties out of your crack. From the article itself, it sounds like Riley keeps the lines of communication open with players, as well as parents. Most everyone, media and fans alike, complained the last several years over lack of information and one little article from a 1000 miles away, sends people in a tizzy about what should be released. Urban Meyer threw it out there in the most public way possible and I didn't see any hand wringing from Ohio St. fans about it. And Urban was informed barely 10 minutes before he gave out the information. He did not wait to have a meeting with the players or the parents.

Get a freaking life.

Take a deep breath . . . and then just admit it . . . Riley made a mistake. It's OK. No one can be right all the time.

• Fire 1

Maybe we should put this in perspective:

Do you suppose Geno Smith would rather have had his college coach tell the press that Geno has a little bit of an attitude problem or wait for this guy to tell him:

Ik%20Enemkpali.jpg

Which would have been better in the long run?

The better question is not would, but should the press be told, in my opinion. I keep going back and forth on this. In one hand, it's valuable to know a player's personality because it can open a door into why they may be performing a certain way and what kind of human being they are.

In the other hand, it's not very fair for thousands of people who don't personally know him to judge him if he hasn't really done anything wrong. In conjunction, it's more of a coach's problem then it is for the fans. What can we do about a personality problem? Nothing.

Again, I can see arguments for both sides here but I personally have always leaned towards the side of letting more things say behind closed doors. I know fans, especially football fans, crave any piece of info. they can get. But, sometimes, I think we'd all be a lot happier if we just took our foot of the gas and just chilled out.

Bolded 1: I have no problem with it when names aren't given.

Bolded 2: Thats on the thousands who are judging him. IF they are really that concerned about it that they have to judge who he is as a person rather than take the info and just move on. Then they are the problem. Why do we have to point the finger at the coaches for lettling the information out because we can't handle it? LOL. Every time I turn I see people complaining. It's always about someone else rather than realizing we're dumbasses for how we react to the info.

Bolded 3: I agree, I am the same way but I lean a little more the other way.

For the record, maybe the trust factor with the reporter was just a little too strong....?

What did Meyer say?

That is how it happened.
Except it didn't.

Do you suppose Geno Smith would rather have had his college coach tell the press that Geno has a little bit of an attitude problem or wait for this guy to tell him:

Ik%20Enemkpali.jpg

The better question is not would, but should the press be told, in my opinion. I keep going back and forth on this. In one hand, it's valuable to know a player's personality because it can open a door into why they may be performing a certain way and what kind of human being they are.

In the other hand, it's not very fair for thousands of people who don't personally know him to judge him if he hasn't really done anything wrong. In conjunction, it's more of a coach's problem then it is for the fans. What can we do about a personality problem? Nothing.

Again, I can see arguments for both sides here but I personally have always leaned towards the side of letting more things say behind closed doors. I know fans, especially football fans, crave any piece of info. they can get. But, sometimes, I think we'd all be a lot happier if we just took our foot of the gas and just chilled out.

Bolded 2: Thats on the thousands who are judging him. IF they are really that concerned about it that they have to judge who he is as a person rather than take the info and just move on. Then they are the problem. Why do we have to point the finger at the coaches for lettling the information out because we can't handle it? LOL. Every time I turn I see people complaining. It's always about someone else rather than realizing we're dumbasses for how we react to the info.

For the record, maybe the trust factor with the reporter was just a little too strong....?

But, do you have a problem with it if people figure out who it is using process of elimination? We already know the player sub-group (freshman linebacker), and going off of recruit interviews, even I have a good idea who it might be. Damon Benning intimated he may know who it is, and I bet most of the media do, too. If I tell you a new head coach in the B1G is high maintenance and may never take another HC job again, I may not have told you who I'm talking about, but you'll have a pretty good idea.

I do completely agree with you that it's on the thousands of people who are judging him and their choice of reaction, but, if you put a piece of fresh meat in front of a lion, the lion is going to pounce on it. It's in it's nature, and as much I dislike the incessant need people have for info. on the Huskers (or any sports team), I also think media have become far more open about what they're reporting. And again, this is just my opinion, but this is one of those things where the journalist probably should've showed a little better judgement and kept that part out. I just don't see the value of said information at all right now.

And I think the trust factor was pretty strong, to a fault. For a coaching staff to sit and openly talk about suspensions with a reporter in the room is bold, especially if those two haven't agreed upon a release date for the article, which they either didn't discuss or miscommunicated on. I think we can all agree that's not the best format for finding out about suspensions.

Ik%20Enemkpali.jpg

But, do you have a problem with it if people figure out who it is using process of elimination? We already know the player sub-group (freshman linebacker), and going off of recruit interviews, even I have a good idea who it might be. Damon Benning intimated he may know who it is, and I bet most of the media do, too. If I tell you a new head coach in the B1G is high maintenance and may never take another HC job again, I may not have told you who I'm talking about, but you'll have a pretty good idea.

I do completely agree with you that it's on the thousands of people who are judging him and their choice of reaction, but, if you put a piece of fresh meat in front of a lion, the lion is going to pounce on it. It's in it's nature, and as much I dislike the incessant need people have for info. on the Huskers (or any sports team), I also think media have become far more open about what they're reporting. And again, this is just my opinion, but this is one of those things where the journalist probably should've showed a little better judgement and kept that part out. I just don't see the value of said information at all right now.

And I think the trust factor was pretty strong, to a fault. For a coaching staff to sit and openly talk about suspensions with a reporter in the room is bold, especially if those two haven't agreed upon a release date for the article, which they either didn't discuss or miscommunicated on. I think we can all agree that's not the best format for finding out about suspensions.

No, I don't have an issue with who it is and I would be fine with it if Riley announced the names like Meyer did. BYU is sitting 10 guys and we are sitting 5, unless it is Collins, there is not an advantage to BYU. Information gets out and Riley wanted this out or he would have saved it for the coaches meeting the next day when no reporters were present. I still believe it to be a nonstory and a non issue in the big picture scheme of things. As for the "High Maintenance" quote, there are different ways to get a players attention, public shaming is one of them. If I was that kid, that would make me reign it in a little.

So.....we all agree this is probably not a big deal, but this info could've been released in a better way.

If there's some prima donna attitudes on the team, I have no doubt those guys now got the message that it ain't gonna fly. I think that's a very good thing. Speculating here, but many times a coach will try different ways to make a point. If a coach feels that message was not received, he may go another, much more public route, in making his point. Its a possibility that Riley really wanted to make this clear to some individuals.

Like I said, Riley seems like he is a thinker, very precise and detail oriented. I don't think this just happened by mistake. Could be wrong, but this isn't Bo Pelini here, Riley knew this reporter was in the room.

Now do I find is plausible, or even highly likely that we have some guys on this team who need to get a wake up call a bit? Heck yea I do, I've watched this team the last few years. I'd say its pretty obvious some guys have just been going through the motions. The intensity needs to rise. Contrary to what their coaches have been telling them in the past, 9 wins isn't "good enough" and its not the fans fault for thinking they could do more. The players themselves should be the ones with the no quit attitude. There's nobody but them out there on the field Saturdays, its up to them how it all plays out. There shouldn't be any excuses from them, and their coaches shouldn't be handing them any like they have in the past. Forget pointing the thumb, pointing the finger, forget all the talk. The coach has just publicly challenged you, whoever "you" are, to lose the attitude and step up. You'll either do it or you won't, and there won't be anybody to blame but yourself if you choose not to rise to the challenge. It won't be Eichorsts fault, or the f'ing fairweather fans, or all the disadvantages and how rough you've got it here.........

I think Coach Riley has made a clear statement of what he wants and expects from his players.

• Fire 3