From an "insider" at practices

I would be shocked if TA averaged 30-35 passes per game this year. Our strength still is running the ball to help set up the pass. He has done that before in his career and he has said he will play to the strengths of the team this year.

I am really not looking for much of a change in the number of passes per game this year.

Me too. I think that our offensive snaps per game will go down as a lot of the up-tempo no huddle will be gone.

Maybe not, TO's teams routinely snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. Sending a play in with a WR can be faster than looking to the sideline and interpreting signals.

TA will still be looking to the sideline getting the play call. A WR will not be running in with the play. This isn't high school football.

Keep It Simple, Stupid applies here. If it's simple and it works, who cares if it looks like high school ball? Besides, it would cut down on miscommunication.

I would be shocked if TA averaged 30-35 passes per game this year. Our strength still is running the ball to help set up the pass. He has done that before in his career and he has said he will play to the strengths of the team this year.

I am really not looking for much of a change in the number of passes per game this year.

Me too. I think that our offensive snaps per game will go down as a lot of the up-tempo no huddle will be gone.

Maybe not, TO's teams routinely snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. Sending a play in with a WR can be faster than looking to the sideline and interpreting signals.

TA will still be looking to the sideline getting the play call. A WR will not be running in with the play. This isn't high school football.

Keep It Simple, Stupid applies here. If it's simple and it works, who cares if it looks like high school ball? Besides, it would cut down on miscommunication.

It also, by rule, allows the defense to substitute. Not sure if Riley/Langsdorf cares, but preventing the defense from substituting is a big trend in football.

Adding an extra step of communication with an extra person to have to relay information is not simple and 'cutting down' on miscommunication. Telling it straight to the quarterback is what you're look for for simple and cutting down miscommunication, instead of telling it to someone else to go and tell it to the quarterback.

Adding an extra step of communication with an extra person to have to relay information is not simple and 'cutting down' on miscommunication. Telling it straight to the quarterback is what you're look for for simple and cutting down miscommunication, instead of telling it to someone else to go and tell it to the quarterback.

In HS, we had one WR that wasn't the brightest guy, but was a good athlete. He would screw up the play call 10%-20% of the time by either calling a formation/play combo that made no sense or just saying flat out "I forgot the call". So our QB would just make a call on his own in the huddle.

In HS, we had one WR that wasn't the brightest guy, but was a good athlete. He would screw up the play call 10%-20% of the time by either calling a formation/play combo that made no sense or just saying flat out "I forgot the call". So our QB would just make a call on his own in the huddle.

Kearney High used to have their QB run to the sideline to get the play call from the coach...instead of running it in with a WR.

I wouldn't be surprised if helmet communication eventually makes it's way to the college game like it is in the NFL. I think they tested it out in the spring, IIRC, but can't use it for the actual season yet. I think it would be a nice addition, and then like it is in the NFL, you just cut off communication with 15 seconds left on the play clock. The 40 second play clock is already in college, too.