From an "insider" at practices

Question mark sure, but bigger question mark than the offensive line? In my opinion, no way.

Heading into fall, I believe only one starting position on the offensive line was solodified,that was Alex Lewis. As far as I've heard, theres only one other individuial who's made a claim to a spot, that being Kondolo at RG.

We've heard plenty about some battles and maybe some guys with bright futures, but I'd say the fact that we don't have five guys who can make outright claims to a starting position on this offensive line, should be very troubling.

I personally don't think that fact is very troubling. This is a new staff that really doesn't know the players very well yet. They are (and should) give as many guys a chance to prove themselves as possible. They could, in their mind, have pretty good idea who their top 5 are but they are going to play it as far into fall camp as possible to get players to compete for spots. That makes everyone better and it builds confidence in the back up players that they were that close to being the starter.
Good point. That is very possible.

Doing my best to draw from what we know, but there is a lot we don't know.

I know TA completed 53% of his passes last year for 2700 yards, 22 TD's to 12 picks. I believe those numbers improve though I admit, thats purely speculation.

I can't say I know a whole lot about the guys battling for the offensive line spot. I expect them to get better with Cavanaugh, but that's mostly based on the fact that I thought they were not getting very good coaching in the past and I don't think their coaches philosophies matched the style of the offensive coordinator.

I don't think I've ever seen Nick Gates or Foster take a snap. I've seen very little of Farmer or Finnin I think? Reeves has been injured most of his career but did look good in the minimal time he saw. Utter had his hips and downs as did Thurston I believe?

See, problem is, I can't even swear by which of these guys I've seen much of out there. I'd feel a lot better about the group if I had more to go from. Which is why I still say this is easily my biggest concern.

A lot or pressure on Cavanaugh to get these guys ready, especially when you hear reports about the lack of technical work and lack of time dedicated purely to the position group in the past.

What you described to me is question marks, not something that is "very troubling".

To be "very troubling", I would need to actually know that we have no talent there and it's struggling to do the basic things they are being asked to do. At this point, I don't know that.

Now, also it would be "very troubling" if I didn't have any of this information and I would be the one making the decisions. I'm not that guy and I (like you) believe that guy is a big step up from the last guy. So, I'll kick back, have a beer and simply mark it as a question mark I'm excited to see this fall.

I too am more worried about the o-line. It's been a long time since we had a truly transcendent player at the QB position, and a great player there can really make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere. But, the old adage that "everything starts up front" always holds true with me. I would argue one of Nebraska's biggest weaknesses at times throughout the last 15 years has been offensive line play. Some really good players have come through, but as a unit, they've had difficulties with consistency.

I also feel fairly confident the coaches are going to work with TA's strengths. He's going to be asked to make difficult throws, especially in the short to intermediate range, but he's also probably not going to sling it 35 times a game. I could see him hanging in that 25-30 range and then relying on a heavy dose of the rushing attack.

• Fire 1

I also feel fairly confident the coaches are going to work with TA's strengths. He's going to be asked to make difficult throws, especially in the short to intermediate range, but he's also probably not going to sling it 35 times a game. I could see him hanging in that 25-30 range and then relying on a heavy dose of the rushing attack.

I'm curious to see what the run/pass mix is. TA averaged 26.5 attempts per game last year. So I won't be surprised if it's in the 30-35 range this year. But a lot of the increase will probably be screen passes which is a good way to go, imo. Not sure how many screens you "can" run in a game but from the sounds of it, they're working on it quite a bit in practice. Different varieties too. RB and WR screens ... even TE screens apparently. So we might see 3-5 screen passes each game.

• Fire 1

I'm curious to see what the run/pass mix is. TA averaged 26.5 attempts per game last year. So I won't be surprised if it's in the 30-35 range this year. But a lot of the increase will probably be screen passes which is a good way to go, imo. Not sure how many screens you "can" run in a game but from the sounds of it, they're working on it quite a bit in practice. Different varieties too. RB and WR screens ... even TE screens apparently. So we might see 3-5 screen passes each game.

I think there are a few ways to look at it, but, I could definitely see him throwing 30-35 times a game because of the type of offense Riley wants to run.

The reason I lean more towards the 25-30 range, which, granted, isn't a significant difference, is based on my assumption that things may balance out a bit in terms of play calling. I think we could see more screen passes but, I also think we'll see less down field passing if that happens So, there's a chance those kinds of things could balance out - two-to-three less down field passes in exchange for two-to-three screens a game, or more. I'm just kind of throwing out arbitrary numbers right now.

Plus, I'm just not personally crazy about seeing TA throw 35 times a game unless he's made some drastic strides, because he also needs to use his legs to be an asset. Russel Wilson threw about 28 pass attempts per game last year, and while I'm not comparing the two players, that number is somewhere around where TA may need to be. I'm right there with you though - the run/pass percentage may be one of the top things I'm looking forward to finding out this year.

• Fire 1

I would be shocked if TA averaged 30-35 passes per game this year. Our strength still is running the ball to help set up the pass. He has done that before in his career and he has said he will play to the strengths of the team this year.

I am really not looking for much of a change in the number of passes per game this year.

I would be shocked if TA averaged 30-35 passes per game this year. Our strength still is running the ball to help set up the pass. He has done that before in his career and he has said he will play to the strengths of the team this year.

I am really not looking for much of a change in the number of passes per game this year.

Me too. I think that our offensive snaps per game will go down as a lot of the up-tempo no huddle will be gone.

While some of it was already stuff that is being circulated, it was not from a reporters mouth but a fans mouth... Sharing what he saw and what he thought which I enjoyed because it offered an additional insight.

To go back to the OP. I think it has become very clear that the health issues of our WR's has caused a major trickle down effect. Remember this is a brand new offense yet Tommy has chemistry with a few guys, mainly JW. It is hard for any QB to learn a new offense but then to also have to throw to guys he is unfamiliar with.

I might be the minority, but I think that Armstrong is going to have a good year here. We have to show some patience, but i am excited to see what kind of plays they call in order to make him way more successful. Stop having him throw 30-40 yard passes every time.. Work on the short/quick throws and watch the confidence grow.

I never thought of TA's development tied to the WR's. Nice insight there, hopefully they will heal up and his execution will improve.

Me too. I think that our offensive snaps per game will go down as a lot of the up-tempo no huddle will be gone.

That's a good point. If we're running, say, 10 fewer plays per game, the number of passes might not change even though the percentage goes up.

Maybe not, TO's teams routinely snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. Sending a play in with a WR can be faster than looking to the sideline and interpreting signals.

Maybe not, TO's teams routinely snapped the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. Sending a play in with a WR can be faster than looking to the sideline and interpreting signals.

i agree the look to the sideline for a play is more trouble than it is worth......waste of time standing around....quick up to the line avoids subs by the D, but we fool ourselves more often than not.....we need a different look.

TA will still be looking to the sideline getting the play call. A WR will not be running in with the play. This isn't high school football.

• Fire 2