Post Bo Era first game impressions?

Husker66

Mobile QB's were always a problem for the clown. We were facing a mobile QB being mentioned in the Hypsman talk.

Every single talking head that I heard had us losing, and getting physically beaten badly. We had this game, but I remind you of the Northwester game. This stuff happens, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not.

Things I did see, that I liked was the fact that everyone was in the game, not groups setting in corners not even paying attention to the game. Not masses moving away from the head coach to escape his wrath.

We are down on talent, the question is can coach Riley bring that level of talent in. But overall I saw a team today.

• Fire 1

There was a lot that I liked compared to what I saw last year.

However, the 3rd down play calling that stopped our final 3 drives was puzzling. Running up the middle hadn't been working most of the game, and it seemed that much earlier BYU had figured out how to diagnose the jet sweep.

The final nail of conservatism was the prevent defense on the fateful drive. I'll never understand why coaches won't all out blitz when the QB needs time for all his receivers to get down field.

We had a very rough second quarter. I expected us to have a rough spell breaking in a new system against a very solid BYU team.

I like how we made adjustments in the second half. Thought we showed composure and am way more positive about the future of the program than I was last year.

Lost on a lucky play at the end.

I think we'll do well this year and will see some good improvements as the season progresses.

It's a terrible, heart-breaking loss but it came down to a 50-yard Hail Mary with 1 second to go. Sometimes you win those, sometimes you lose them. No one put up the single season rushing record on us. Armstrong looked good. Lost of suspensions and injuries (on both sides), just goes to show why you play the games. This came down to two missed field goals.

I love that Bozo Pelini is gone. LOVE it! Love, love, love it!

I liked the tackling today. I liked the passing. Liked some standout efforts from Kalu, Gerry, Gangwish, Davie and Banderas.

Run game needs to improve. Kicking game needs a come-to-Jesus talk. The offense could benefit from Armstrong not getting stuck on Westerkamp quite so much. I thought we would see some more pressure from our D-line, but I suspect they were trying to contain Hill. Still, would like to see more pressure. Hail Mary defense needs improvement. :(

Overall I feel pretty good about this team. They had a lot to absorb and practice and overall played pretty well. I would have liked to win, and we almost did, but that Hail Mary was a gut-punch. Sucks BYU has all those 6'5" guys.

Sucks for Taysom Hill losing his season today with a Lisfranc injury.

I'm so glad Pelini is gone. Whether Riley ultimately ends up being the guy, which I still think he could be, it was definitely time for Pelini to go. Past time, really.

• Fire 2

Mobile QB's were always a problem for the clown. We were facing a mobile QB being mentioned in the Hypsman talk.

Every single talking head that I heard had us losing, and getting physically beaten badly. We had this game, but I remind you of the Northwester game. This stuff happens, sometimes you are lucky sometimes not.

Things I did see, that I liked was the fact that everyone was in the game, not groups setting in corners not even paying attention to the game. Not masses moving away from the head coach to escape his wrath.

We are down on talent, the question is can coach Riley bring that level of talent in. But overall I saw a team today.

Ok. I am buying what your putting down. Good point.

It's a terrible, heart-breaking loss but it came down to a 50-yard Hail Mary with 1 second to go. Sometimes you win those, sometimes you lose them. No one put up the single season rushing record on us. Armstrong looked good. Lost of suspensions and injuries (on both sides), just goes to show why you play the games. This came down to two missed field goals.

Mostly you win those. That was a terrible defense of the hail mary. I agree though, make one of those field goals and we win. Why do we have a special teams coach again?

I foresee Tommy breaking passing records. I watched Mike Riley in the post game and I liked what he had to say At least he acknowledged the negative but I saw a lot more positive than negative today. But penalties missed field goals. We should be celebrating a win.

I also don't recall "execute" being used even once. My drinking game for the post game presser is over and I need a new keyword.