Post Bo Era first game impressions?

Husker66

I turned the TV off with 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Other than 2012 I'm used to the team giving up when they get down like that, so I gave up too. Then I started watching again midway through the 3rd quarter. Long story short, at least we didn't give up this time. If Pelini had still been coach I think we would have lost by 4 TDs or more.

• Fire 2

I foresee Tommy breaking passing records. I watched Mike Riley in the post game and I liked what he had to say At least he acknowledged the negative but I saw a lot more positive than negative today. But penalties missed field goals. We should be celebrating a win.

I also don't recall "execute" being used even once. My drinking game for the post game presser is over and I need a new keyword.

Might I suggest varations of the word "like" for your new keyword. I'm thinking there's a lot of things Mr. positive is going to "like" after the games. Quite a change.

:D

I turned the TV off with 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Other than 2012 I'm used to the team giving up when they get down like that, so I gave up too. Then I started watching again midway through the 3rd quarter. Long story short, at least we didn't give up this time. If Pelini had still been coach I think we would have lost by 4 TDs or more.

I don't get this revisionist history. Bo coached the biggest comeback in school history against OSU. Another big one against Wisconsin. Two comebacks against Northwestern.

We had some bad games too. I know that. Trust me I know. but I lee seeing this pop up. Bo's teams gave up. We would have lost by 40. Blah blah blah. We should evaluate this team and this coach and stop with this divisive bullsh#t.

Saw some good things. Defense will be better overall vs run. Armstrong looked better overall imo.

Some talent issues/depth issues at DE and LB which is going to hurt us. FG kicking is going to be an adventure again. Gotta find a way to run the ball at a decent level bc the weather will be more of an obstacle than it was today.

Overall I'm really disappointed with the L but not the direction of the program. Was hoping it was all going to happen overnight but that's not realistic.

for me,

Positives: everything that has been mentioned. coaching staff is generally good, except one.

- finally, we seem to have a qb that can throw and is being coached well.

- receivers are really good. team overall is well coached and prepared.

negatives:

- our dbs coach is just not very good. from what i saw today, the coaching at that position is lacking. not the talent.

- jamal turner had one too many mistakes. they may have to reconsider his position on the depth chart.

- luke gifford really struggled out there. i'm not bashing players; i'm just saying who didn't play very well. rose-ivey needs to be back asap

- oline needs to step up. they have everything they need to be great.

First impression? Loved every minute of it. Have a pounding headache, no voice, dehydrated, sunburnt, but I love sport because of reasons like this. Who cares if we lost on a fluke play? It was a blast.

Really was an exciting game until the hail mary. My heart was a roller coaster all game. Felt good to feel again.

Hail Mary's are pretty damn exciting dude.

• Fire 1

for me,

Positives: everything that has been mentioned. coaching staff is generally good, except one.

negatives:

- our dbs coach is just not very good. from what i saw today, the coaching at that position is lacking. not the talent.

- jamal turner had one too many mistakes. they may have to reconsider his position on the depth chart.

- luke gifford really struggled out there. i'm not bashing players; i'm just saying who didn't play very well. rose-ivey needs to be back asap

Agree with most of what you said. I tend to disagree with the bold. The new scheme puts the CBs on an island so they are going to get beat sometimes (hail mary notwithstanding). I think the talent is a tad overrated due to the scheme Bo ran. Those guys usually had help over top. Of course that made us more vulnerable to the run.

I really liked that we came back in the second half. I did not expect we'd regain the lead.

We really botched every critical moment in the game.

BYU converting 4th down in own territory (this was the key moment for me. If we stop that we win. Instead BYU converts huge pass and at that time I knew BYU had won.)

Our inability to get the 1st down to win.

We don't defend the hail mary and thus lose.

We lost on all 3 of those. We had to go 1 for 3 to win and did not. BYU had to go 3 for 3 and did.

for me,

negatives:

Agree with most of what you said. I tend to disagree with the bold. The new scheme puts the CBs on an island so they are going to get beat sometimes (hail mary notwithstanding). I think the talent is a tad overrated due to the scheme Bo ran. Those guys usually had help over top. Of course that made us more vulnerable to the run.

i agree about the new scheme. there's just little nuances and tell tale signs that they need better coaching. even though they were outmatched size wise, there's just certain things that a db in some of their positions should not do. examples are the way they played the hail mary (goes without saying), the way they played those receivers after the catch, multiple times. i wish i could put together a highlight reel.

Positives:

-Fundamentals on defense were much stronger, wrapping up, attacking, et al. Big improvement that will pay dividends as the season progresses.

-Adjstments at halftime on both sides of the ball, which will win us games down the road we would have lost handily.

-Tommy looked impressive, and has shown improvement from last season. Still looking down receivers but seemed to go through progressions much more often than last season.

-Imani showed when he had the ball, he was a beast. He should be considered our first string RB--yes, he won't outrun defenses (save the D-Line), but he'll get you five to seven consistently. This is important because...

Negatives:

-This is perhaps one of the worst O-lines since the Solich era. First contact behind the line is almost a given--we either need a RB that can hit back (Imani) or start employing more FB sets to get a lead blocker in to help the running game.

-Special Teams were abysmal, save for punting. Very disappointed in staff in this regard, as it doesn't look like they focused on it at all during the off-season.

-Playcalling. We saw two option plays, and the second one broke Tommy free for big yardage. And that's it. We'd get on a roll with rushing...but as soon as they stacked the box, we stopped rushing. While there were a couple of stretch/sweep plays, I felt that they could have been more patient with the running game and mixed it up more.

-Penalties: Looked like Bo-era all over again. :-|

Overall: We're still on track to go 9-4. So...yay?

• Fire 1

I don't get this revisionist history. Bo coached the biggest comeback in school history against OSU. Another big one against Wisconsin. Two comebacks against Northwestern.

We had some bad games too. I know that. Trust me I know. but I lee seeing this pop up. Bo's teams gave up. We would have lost by 40. Blah blah blah. We should evaluate this team and this coach and stop with this divisive bullsh#t.

That QB (was it Braxton Miller , I forget) was enroute to completely routing us before he went out injured and his replacement was throwing balls 5 rows deep in the stands... that was not the biggest comeback in Nebraska history, that was the biggest meltdown in OSU history..

1.) Need Rose-Ivey back. I don't know why he got suspended, but IMO he's the leader of the defense.

2.) Foster should seriously be considered playing instead of Kondolo. Kondolo was getting beat all game.

3.) Use Tommy in the run game more.

4.) Need to be more creative in their run game.

Otherwise the WR's did a nice job. Westy is a stud.

Defense, same old same old as last year basically.

That QB (was it Braxton Miller , I forget) was enroute to completely routing us before he went out injured and his replacement was throwing balls 5 rows deep in the stands... that was not the biggest comeback in Nebraska history, that was the biggest meltdown in OSU history..

More revisionist crap. The tide turned when David ripped the ball out of Miller's hands, which led to a score. The play when Miller got hurt was in the middle of us shutting their offense down. Is it a different game with Miller in? Maybe. We don't know. But don't downplay what it took for us to win that game. It's bulllshit and you know it.

• Fire 1