Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

The rest of this thread seems like stuff you say after a game when you are still sad. That's natural and the sign of invested fans.

That's true, and it's unfortunate. I would be saying the same things if that Hail Mary had hit the turf instead of going for a TD.

Right's right, wrong's wrong. There were a LOT of wrong calls in that game, and no-calls, and weird calls (when's the last time you saw five or more "four men in the backfield" calls in one game?).

That Nebraska lost the game doesn't make these gripes less legitimate, though. It just makes them easier to pass off as sour grapes. They aren't. They're legit.

I've been to games at Memorial Stadium the last 29 years. This was easily in the top five for the length & volume of booing. You rarely, if ever, see this from Nebraska Fan - not to this extent. There's a reason for that, and it has a lot to do with the shoddy officiating.

• Fire 3

The rest of this thread seems like stuff you say after a game when you are still sad. That's natural and the sign of invested fans.

That's true, and it's unfortunate. I would be saying the same things if that Hail Mary had hit the turf instead of going for a TD.

Right's right, wrong's wrong. There were a LOT of wrong calls in that game, and no-calls, and weird calls (when's the last time you saw five or more "four men in the backfield" calls in one game?).

That Nebraska lost the game doesn't make these gripes less legitimate, though. It just makes them easier to pass off as sour grapes. They aren't. They're legit.

I've been to games at Memorial Stadium the last 29 years. This was easily in the top five for the length & volume of booing. You rarely, if ever, see this from Nebraska Fan - not to this extent. There's a reason for that, and it has a lot to do with the shoddy officiating.

Wasn't at the game, but the booing on TV was loud. Louder than the time where BP was waving off the fans for booing TMagic. You are right though, it's something you rarely hear at Memorial Stadium.

Wasn't at the game, but the booing on TV was loud. Louder than the time where BP was waving off the fans for booing TMagic. You are right though, it's something you rarely hear at Memorial Stadium.

Yeah, it was super loud on TV and lasted for a long period of time. It got even louder once they saw the cart being driven onto the field.

Not only was the booing for the Sutton non-call loud, but it happened again later in the game. There were several instances where contact was initiated by BYU defenders well out of bounds and no calls were made. When Foltz got hurt, the crowd exploded again.

Yeah, it looked to me that BYU was leg hunting on many of their tackles. Not sure if that's how they are coached to tackle or what.

You can have 4 men in the backfield. I know what you're saying but just had to ;)

In my humble opinion this is why BYU "suffers" so many injuries every year. Opposing teams get tired of it and retaliate. Make no mistake, NU started doing the same thing after Foltz. It is frustrating that they will beat us, and by the time they get to Michigan they will be decimated injuries. They are a good team, and schematically I REALLY like what they do. But they need to clean up their approach.

I think some of you missed what happened to the punter. It looked bad at full speed and the one replay I remember they showed during the game did not even really catch it very well. This was posted earlier in the thread, but without comment. Fans were booing this like crazy because it looked bad. 67 was trying to make a play and threw a player under your punters legs. I don't think he breathes on the punter without that push.

https://vine.co/v/eT9gj6u6FBh

The one play by Praetor (our #20) on your TE was horrible, but it wasn't a dirty game.

When most of us in this thread played ball, only little guys were taught to go low. The big Ronnie Lott style face mask to face mask tackles that earned you helmet stickers back in the day just give you flags today. DBs are getting coached to go low more often now. You don't get flagged for targeting if the receiver drops his head before contact that way. Knees are going to be the unintended price for saving brains. Your guys were tackling low in the game too. It's the new way football is going to be played. BYU seems to be transitioning to low tackles this year, but I think they are a couple years behind and not very good at it yet.

I think they will throw the flag 100 times in a game if 2 receivers line up off the line when only 1 is supposed to. I took those penalties to be from the 1st game of the season with a new system. Some of those penalties hurt. I wish ESPN would show us on the screen quickly where the penalty was, but it's a big leap to assume the refs were blowing those calls. Those will get cleaned up. There were a lot of good things in that game for Nebraska and small stuff that can be cleaned up are good signs for things to come in my opinion.

I yelled at my TV and saw arms wrapping around BYU's linemen too. I did not notice it going the other way too, but I'm sure it was.

Anyway, I'm just throwing in my $.02. I thought it was a good game.

And for the record, if a Nebraska player ever tackled someone like this, it would still be a cheap shot. He was leg hunting and he succeeded in taking him out. He tried to get Westy earlier in the game, but luckily that time it didn't work.

So, like when we lost our NT on an uncalled chop block by one of your linemen and RB, whi hit him square in the side of the knee?

I understand why you're upset, but these things happen on both sides. And low tackles downfield are far from illegal.

And for the record, if a Nebraska player ever tackled someone like this, it would still be a cheap shot. He was leg hunting and he succeeded in taking him out. He tried to get Westy earlier in the game, but luckily that time it didn't work.

So, like when we lost our NT on an uncalled chop block by one of your linemen and RB, whi hit him square in the side of the knee?

I understand why you're upset, but these things happen on both sides. And low tackles downfield are far from illegal.

There is not problem with tackling below the knees, but from behind, out of bounds & after the play was over. This is a problem.

• Fire 2

"Dirty play"?! C'mon, Fans, get over it. I thought BYU played a well coached, clean and disciplined game and they have some great athletes on their team: namely those beastly receivers they have. Bad hits, some they can happen, but were in no way intentional, it's just whining to say so. Give them credit for the W, they earned it every bit as much as we did had it gone the other way. I thought the refs called a good game too, BTW. NE just needed to make one more play and guess what, we didn't.

BYU: respect.

Wut?

https://twitter.com/BrianRTowle/status/640571200339447808

https://twitter.com/danhoppen/status/640543427831074816

Diving at a players knees, from behind, is dirty, no matter how you slice it.

I don't think it was intentional, guys just misjudge/mistime and hit too high or low sometimes. Could they have thrown a flag? Yep, but they didn't. This premise that BYU "has a long history of such things" is just sour grapes. We make one more play at the end and we're not having this conversation.
It's called bush league which is where BYU will remain if they keep this crap up.

Sour grapes, bro, sour grapes.

I am a lifelong BYU fan and part-time Nebraska fan since Vince Ferragamo (still cannot stand OU, CU, and Miami!). Whether the hit by Preator was intentional or not, it should have been flagged. It looked like a cheap hit--Preator needs to work on his technique if that was not the case. Sorry to see the Nebraska player injured on that play.

• Fire 1

I guess tackling at the legs from behind when he clearly saw that Sutton didn't catch the ball was my problem. Yeah, it was a dirty hit and he did exactly what he set out to do: get a cheap shot hit in. I don't recall the Huskers doing that to your NT, but maybe I missed it.

i know it doesn't mean anything now....but i am wondering if we know which players were suspended by BYU?

A starting safety, 2 back up, a stat keeper and the water boy. The main guy that started the whole brawl with Memphis got a free pass because BYU didn't have another center that could snap the ball.

Not totally accurate, but Nacua was the main loss. He usually plays under control--was disappointed by his cheap shot at the end of the fight. Could have been because he got knocked googly eyed by a Memphis player a minute before. Koroma, the center, can be a hot head at times. Watch the replay of the last play. Defender trash talked the QB and gave him a shove. Freshman center had his QB's back and stepped in. Quickly disappeared under a pile of Memphis players. I am a BYU alum and fan and was dismayed by the end of the game--poor decision making by some BYU players and probably poor coaching during that season. BYU played out of control all season long. I thought the BYU and Nebraska suspensions were fairly balanced as they affected the teams. The big one for BYU was losing Jamal Williams on an unrelated issue. On your side, Westerkamp, Gerry, and Kalu are studs. Armstrong looked good passing. Would like to see him in future games running the option a bit more. BYU defense plays well against the option (destroyed G-Tech in 2012 and 2013) and understand why Riley did not opt for the option against BYU. I was a bit surprised by the play calls on 3rd and short because your big back was getting huge chunks of yardage down the stretch. Hopefully your coaching staff will get that worked out.

I guess tackling at the legs from behind when he clearly saw that Sutton didn't catch the ball was my problem. Yeah, it was a dirty hit and he did exactly what he set out to do: get a cheap shot hit in. I don't recall the Huskers doing that to your NT, but maybe I missed it.

Nothing to defend on hit on Sutton. I think

Are you trying to defend the hit on Sutton? AggyAndee? That really is you?

That wasn't football. I think it was a mistake, but intentions don't really matter when it's that late and at a guys knees.