From here on out.

I feel Nebraska proved they are not a very good football team right now and made BYU look much, much better than they really are. BYU made the play when it mattered...the Huskers sat back and allowed them to drive the field at the end of the game and allowed a WR to stay in front of them. End of story!

What happens when a legit team lines up across from them...aka MSU, Wisconsin, Minny? It could very well be a LONG season!

We are seriously back to that argument? BYU beats us after we miss two field goals, cough up the ball in silly fashion a couple times, and fail to prevent a hail mary in a prevent defense and now BYU is a playoff team???

Or...

Nebraska was just not a playoff team, and we got beat by a team/staff that has been together since we hired our last coach on a fluke last second effort.

I fully believe that if we played them in week 2 instead of 1 we win this game. Would have been nice to start out with a creampuff when breaking in a new scheme

Yeah, probably. But we didn't get that luxury. BYU is a solid team, no question. But they won't be playing on new years day either.

Part of the problem is some folks can't seem to fathom that having a new coaching staff, with a new scheme, while trying to heal a divided fanbase and team, can cause some growing pains. There were some bad bad bad moments in that game, but there were a lot of positives as well. I'm really not expecting more than 6 wins, but I knew that coming into the season on some level because I knew there were going to be growing pains and issues along the way. That's not accepting mediocrity, that's being realistic and looking at the situation for what it is right now. We'll get better, simple as that, BYU is a good team, not a great team, but a good team. We make those field goals and have one or two other things go our way we win that game.

• Fire 2

Bottom line for me, it wasn't the loss. Man we've been beat much worse on much bigger stages...... It was the way we lost with the Hail Mary (shades of the Gamecocks) and the fact we lost the home win streak record.... That was the worst for me.

No one on this board thought we would go undefeated. Saw everything from 7-5 to 11-1. Just didn't think the loss would come from BYU. I figured Miami, Wisky, Minnie.... The opening win record hurts........

Even before this loss I thought the "season opener win streak" was stupid, as I mentioned in another thread. It's a statistic pulled out of thin air and imbued with meaning by the media/athletic department to create interest/increase ratings. As a fan, I never one time cheered for our "opening season win streak" nor gave it a second thought.

In fact, making a big deal of this meaningless streak was an insult to the legitimate streaks NU has had over the years, such as the bowl game streak, the home winning streaks, the winning streaks against Minnesota, Kansas, K-State, etc., and the not allowing an opposing rusher to set the FBS record for rushing yards against any team in the history of CFB streak.

I remember 1985 and being 0-1, and it made absolutely no difference.

All this streak meant is that we scheduled really weak teams in the first game.

That and the sell out streak is about all we had left after Cally and Bo..... The media talked about very season.... Fans talked about it at the start of every season.......... Just wondering if we tank this year will the sell out streak end.

I have been a fan for 35+ years. If I am blessed to see another 40, I do not think I will ever see the likes of the streaks I did growing up.......

• Fire 1

As much as this loss hurt, I can actually see some positives from losing the first game to a decent team.

1. We know immediately what we need to work on. Instead of beating some patsy in a glorified practice there is now some focus in practice this week.

2. Hopefully the team will play with a chip on its shoulder and try and prove this was a fluke instead of being over-confident after beating some nobody.

3. I thought there were a lot of good plays in the game. When the offense was clicking it looked hard to stop. I thought tommy looked pretty good. People want to focus on the intentional grounding penalties.....

Of course there were weak areas: no run plays, o line, secondary. But I'm trying to remain positive, I still have a sh#t load of kool aid in the fridge.

^^ that.

4-5 losses is what I expect for the Kewgs this year. Hate to say it but our coverage was rather bad against them they won't have it so easy in many of their remaining games.

Rewatched the game...maybe my third loss rewatch in about...forever. Man they were really dirty many bs shots I didn't catch first time around. 10-12. Forgot they cheap shotted Westy and knocked him out for a spell. After watching it and hearing others warn us about it, I'm permanently in the BYU sucks camp. eff em.

We are seriously back to that argument? BYU beats us after we miss two field goals, cough up the ball in silly fashion a couple times, and fail to prevent a hail mary in a prevent defense and now BYU is a playoff team???

Or...

Nebraska was just not a playoff team, and we got beat by a team/staff that has been together since we hired our last coach on a fluke last second effort.

this...

BYU is not that good. Hill was very good - maybe the best QB we'll play all year - but the rest of the team is nothing special. We kept them in the game with poor coverage, penalties, missed FGs and no running game.

Their backup QB still scored on two out of three drives against us in the fourth quarter so he probably had a better scoring percentage than Hill.

They will probably lose to Boise State, UCLA and Missouri. I won't be surprised if Michigan beats them. They'll probably win most of the rest of their games because their schedule is terrible.

BYU is not that good. Hill was very good - maybe the best QB we'll play all year - but the rest of the team is nothing special. We kept them in the game with poor coverage, penalties, missed FGs and no running game.

Their backup QB still scored on two out of three drives against us in the fourth quarter so he probably had a better scoring percentage than Hill.

They will probably lose to Boise State, UCLA and Missouri. I won't be surprised if Michigan beats them. They'll probably win most of the rest of their games because their schedule is terrible.

Funny how each fan base sees it differently. Most of us on our board thought that BYU let Nebraska stay in a game that they shouldn't have been in. Dropped a pass on 4th and 1 that could have later put us up by 17. If our starting QB isn't hurt, does he run all over you guys? If our starting RB isn't doesn't leave school for the year, is this even close? Just find it funny how we each get our own colored goggles on. If BYU isn't that good, then you guys are not that good. There's a reason why most of the analysts and 3 of 4 of your own writers picked BYU to win.

Your name says NUfan8.

Yet refers to "we" as in BYU

Sorry, that is probably confusing. I got on here to only make one post, and my first post explained how I was at the game and that my username was created as I was now a fan of NU fans because of the experience I had. Just wanted to let you all know that I enjoyed the atmostphere and tradition (and clarify a few things), but I'll let you guys get back to it.

Our view of the team is pretty different than the view of the rest of the country, Andy Staples said in an article yesterday:

"Nebraska fans may be stunned by the outcome, but they shouldn't be discouraged by the first game of the Mike Riley era. The Cornhuskers played BYU much closer than expected, and if not for a fluky play they would have won. BYU is as good or better than the rest of the teams in the Big Ten's West Division. If the Cornhuskers can play with the Cougars, they can play with the teams they need to beat to reach Indianapolis."

https://www.campusrush.com/jake-coker-alabama-crimson-tide-punt-pass-pork-1334018991.html