Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

I get the transition period argument with schemes and stuff like that, but I was hoping to see some improvement in the turnover and penalty department. Two turnovers, not terrible, but 12 penalties for 90 yards shows me we have not improved at all in that department. Maybe things won't get better until Pelini players leave, I don't know. But from what some OSU fans told us when Riley was hired was he had some of the most penalized teams in the Pac 12. That is a little concerning and something I was hoping would get fixed because it was one of the main reasons Pelini failed. Undisciplined teams. We will see.

I get the transition period argument with schemes and stuff like that, but I was hoping to see some improvement in the turnover and penalty department. Two turnovers, not terrible, but 12 penalties for 90 yards shows me we have not improved at all in that department. Maybe things won't get better until Pelini players leave, I don't know. But from what some OSU fans told us when Riley was hired was he had some of the most penalized teams in the Pac 12. That is a little concerning and something I was hoping would get fixed because it was one of the main reasons Pelini failed. Undisciplined teams. We will see.

What were the flags for?

What were the flags for?

1. Substitution infraction

2. Intentional grounding

3. Defensive PI

4. Defensive hands to the face

5. False start

6. False start

7. Delay of game (5-7 on same drive)

8. Illegal formation

9. Intentional grounding

10. Offensive holding

11. Personal foul

12. Illegal block to the back

All offseason we heard . . how anyone could win 9 here

Honestly I don't remember anyone literally saying that. What you said right here is what was said all offseason. It's a straw man argument to set up Riley as a failure in case he doesn't hit 9 wins.

s

Nah, people said a lot how we could plunk anyone in and win 9 this year. Not really fair to Rileys long term goals anyway. This season was a doable setup, still could be. I'm just not thrilled with some of the things I saw, others I am pretty happy about. I am more than willing to see what happens next, Riley is a solid coach and a good fit here. I hope nobody thinks I'm calling for his head.

• Fire 1

calling it what it was? it depends on who you are as to what you believe the game was

for the pessimists? Riley dared lose his first game at Nebraska. time to fire him

for the optimists? it was just the first game with lot's of positives to take from the game.

for the Mormons? it was an answered prayer.....and the worst nightmare (losing taysom)

for many college football fans? it was the most exciting game of the weekend

for the Bolievers? it was the perfect wet dream. Nebraska lost their first game after Bo. the perfect ammo for them to come take shots on social media and shout "I told you so".

Pretty good take.

Honestly I don't remember anyone literally saying that. What you said right here is what was said all offseason. It's a straw man argument to set up Riley as a failure in case he doesn't hit 9 wins.

s

Nah, people said a lot how we could plunk anyone in and win 9 this year. Not really fair to Rileys long term goals anyway. This season was a doable setup, still could be. I'm just not thrilled with some of the things I saw, others I am pretty happy about. I am more than willing to see what happens next, Riley is a solid coach and a good fit here. I hope nobody thinks I'm calling for his head.

1995 is correct, lots of people said it on many many sites.

Now, people are trying to pretend like that was not being said and that Pelini was only fired for being an a-hole (Also true)

I know off the top of my head 3 specific posters who said it, but I'm not going to call people out. You can search if you want, but I spent alot of time here during the offseason (unlike last year). It was said. Alot.

Nah, people said a lot how we could plunk anyone in and win 9 this year.

Link?

Agreed with ZRod - you've been here. You'd have to have perused the board with pepper spray in your eyes and blinders to not see people expecting 9 wins.

In fact, here's a link to a quote from teachercd - http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75789-what-is-this-year-about/

Check out post #6. Or, I'll put it below.

Winning and a lot of it.

First off...Riley is not taking over some downtrodden team with zero experience coming back.

He is not facing some daunting schedule, there is a chance they only face 2 ranked teams

He has a QB with 20 starts

Riley is a seasoned vetern with a super experienced staff

This is not a rebuild. Riley was hired, not to rebuild and not to maintain. He was hired so that a 9 win season starts to look like the floor and not the ceiling.

Sorry for using your post, teachercd.

Back to this thread, though, I guess we could mince words or try to find an exact post where someone says 'we could put anyone in and win 9 games.' But, what teachercd posted is not an obscure train of thought. Some people think this is not a rebuild year and that we should be getting 9 wins, and here is proof.

• Fire 1