Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

Nah, people said a lot how we could plunk anyone in and win 9 this year.

Link?

Agreed with ZRod - you've been here. You'd have to have perused the board with pepper spray in your eyes and blinders to not see people expecting 9 wins.

In fact, here's a link to a quote from teachercd - http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75789-what-is-this-year-about/

Check out post #6. Or, I'll put it below.

Winning and a lot of it.

First off...Riley is not taking over some downtrodden team with zero experience coming back.

He is not facing some daunting schedule, there is a chance they only face 2 ranked teams

He has a QB with 20 starts

Riley is a seasoned vetern with a super experienced staff

This is not a rebuild. Riley was hired, not to rebuild and not to maintain. He was hired so that a 9 win season starts to look like the floor and not the ceiling.

Sorry for using your post, teachercd.

Back to this thread, though, I guess we could mince words or try to find an exact post where someone says 'we could put anyone in and win 9 games.' But, what teachercd posted is not an obscure train of thought. Some people think this is not a rebuild year and that we should be getting 9 wins, and here is proof.

You SOB!!!! How dare you use my words! Now I know how Metallica felt when Napster started!

• Fire 1

Yeah I don't see where teach said anyone can win 9 games here.

Surely someone can post a link of someone making that claim, given all the obsession over it?

I won't defend his post, but, I believe he was being hyperbolic. If that's your issue with it, that's your prerogative, I guess.

Surely someone can post a link of someone making that claim, given all the obsession over it?

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75913-call-your-shot-2015-season-prediction/?mode=show

Seems like most fans were calling for 9 wins or more in this HuskerBoard thread.

Yep, but that's not what we're talking about.

I won't defend his post, but, I believe he was being hyperbolic. If that's your issue with it, that's your prerogative, I guess.

I have no issue with it, it's just not an example of this (supposedly) super prevalent belief that anyone could win 9 games here.

I have no issue with it, it's just not an example of this (supposedly) super prevalent belief that anyone could win 9 games here.

That's not true. Clearly his hyperbole is the problem, otherwise, you wouldn't have posted the following.

All offseason we heard . . how anyone could win 9 here

Honestly I don't remember anyone literally saying that. What you said right here is what was said all offseason. It's a straw man argument to set up Riley as a failure in case he doesn't hit 9 wins.

Or, are you referring to my post? I realize my example is not one of "anyone could win 9 games here." I only posted what I believed he was getting at, which is some people think 9 wins should happen this year regardless of everything that's happened.

Regardless, you're probably right. Few people if any likely "literally" think anyone could win 9 games here. But, if we're going to start taking everything people say here literally... we might as well all staple our fingers together.

If it'll make you feel better, ABC rigged the game in our favor. They wanted to put on a good show for their audience so when it looked like we would get run off our own field in the second quarter, they made BYU players run the wrong way to let us back in promising them that they'd make sure they won in the end.

Hope that helps.

Other than that, none of us saw a championship season coming this year, but the good things look good and the bad things look fixable. We're also not the only ones to lose the first non-conference game. Best to develop the culture and take a real hard look at ways to compete against teams like Minnesota, Wisconsin, et al.

Regardless, you're probably right. Few people if any likely "literally" think anyone could win 9 games here.

Yep, that's all I'm getting at. Despite that, there's still no shortage of posts like:

2. I am a huge Riley fan and I still think they win 10-11 games this year BUT the mantra was, over and over, that any coach, chair, monkey, table, dart board, cup or Huskerboard poster could coach NU to 9 wins every year.

Part of the disappointment may have come from the media gaining coverage of the practices and getting everyone excited about the team's potential.

A month ago the debate was whether Tommy could run the new offence. Everything else sans-abdullah was a labeled significant improvement over the past year...potential young stars...oline gaining chemistry...d line dominant...it really had my hopes up.

Then we get to reality and Tommy running the offense is the smallest of the problems on the field. Everything is mediocre, and it set it up for disappointment. Then there are other ramifications like in recruiting you start off on a bad foot, and the recruits start to second guess their decision....fans second guess the coaches...

Personally I think this one was a must-win, and there aren't many 3xcuses.

I think BYU was a bigger underdog last week, not NU like some of u are acting...there isn't much more that could have gone in favor of NU.

No its not the end of the world but I understand why fans feel like it is.

• Fire 1