Can we please call this what it was?

Redux

I said several times we could win 9, think we still could.

I dont have a link, but several times it was said almost any coach could come here this year and win 9 with our schedule, same for last year.

All in all, that premise is true, how many times in the last 50 years has a coach not won 9 games, maybe 2??? I believe it to be as true a fact as the stats bear out. I have no doubt that 9 wins will come about again this year. So if someone says that even a blind monkey can do it, you, nor anyone else can prove them wrong.

Part of the disappointment may have come from the media gaining coverage of the practices and getting everyone excited about the team's potential.

A month ago the debate was whether Tommy could run the new offence. Everything else sans-abdullah was a labeled significant improvement over the past year...potential young stars...oline gaining chemistry...d line dominant...it really had my hopes up.

Then we get to reality and Tommy running the offense is the smallest of the problems on the field. Everything is mediocre, and it set it up for disappointment. Then there are other ramifications like in recruiting you start off on a bad foot, and the recruits start to second guess their decision....fans second guess the coaches...

Personally I think this one was a must-win, and there aren't many 3xcuses.

I think BYU was a bigger underdog last week, not NU like some of u are acting...there isn't much more that could have gone in favor of NU.

No its not the end of the world but I understand why fans feel like it is.

Interesting, based on the media coverage I expected our offense to really struggle coming into this season. They mentioned how Tommy was struggling in practice, the receivers were dropping like flies, running game wasn't consistent, etc. So I was prepared for an offensive struggle, and was pleasantly surprised with the offensive performance on Saturday. The defense was the disappointing part. Also BYU was considered by many people outside of Nebraska to give the Huskers a run for their money, if not win. They were certainly not what I would call a real underdog. This game was practically a toss up, and it played exactly like it. That's how this team has been built over the years, to be a toss up against teams like BYU. Here's to hoping the new staff can build a dominant program and install a new culture.

• Fire 1

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

Exactly what every other team in America thinks of NU as well.

It was one game man. There were many positives. We looked far better than Michigan or Penn State or whatever.

If you were born after the last opening loss, then you have no perspective. Those of us born well before that remember the sixties and seventies, expecially after back to back NC's in the seventies.

Lots of people wanted Osborne gone. Had that happened (in today's social media frenzy he would have been) you and many others would have nothing to base your perspectives on now.

It's football, it happens. It's not life and death, and if it's the worst thing to happen to you this year, you are truly blessed.

GBR !!

I made that exact statement right after the game, and I got jumped on for it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

Honestly, I just don't understand. We have so many things playing against us from all new coaches, to a lack of depth, to new schemes, to injuries... I mean literally you name a problem and we likely have it. That doesn't mean we can't improve and get better but jeesh... Nebraska, right now, isn't in a position to claim supremacy over a lot of teams and that includes BYU.

Alot of that has to do with the offseason drivel of the new coaching staff vs the old. For 9 months, we've seen post after post and thread after thread on how any average coach could win 9 games with our schedule, that the last staff was awful, and that every new coach is superior to the guy he replaced. If that's the case, then we should see an upgrade in the W/L column, just by fixing the issues that have plagued us for 7 years.

But.... it's simply not black and white like that.

I agree with all you have posted in this thread. Let me add some things in...

1. We are treating BYU like we did Wyoming a few years ago..."Oh the QB is amazing and will play on Sunday's" and "This was their Super Bowl"

2. I am a huge Riley fan and I still think they win 10-11 games this year BUT the mantra was, over and over, that any coach, chair, monkey, table, dart board, cup or Huskerboard poster could coach NU to 9 wins every year.

They could not convert short 3rd downs...could not make FG's, I guess the clock management might have been a bit poor but I am not sure and they let a guy catch a jump ball. Oh and they had 12 penalties?

I guess I see most of those things as very fixable.

What might be a concern...letting up over 500 yards of offense and I guess I did not think the D Line looked all that great.

Yeah in particular the rush ends. And they threw it quickly.

It was tough to run up the middle on us but they did break a few big runs. Hill scrambled around for 35 and one back broke an outside run for 20. The only big running plays all day. Otherwise they are held to around 80+ on most running plays (24). Not a bad job Huskers considering this group struggled with that last season.

As for passing, about 50 of those came on the desperation play. Remove that incredible play and they had 325 passing threw 4 quarters. Tommy had nearly the same.

The Blackshirts didn't look perfect. They struggled and gave up some big plays sprinkled in. The 99 yard drive was awful!

But all things considered, BYU did averaged 460 a game last season. Eight of those games without Taysom Hill (how is that possible?). So they're going to get their yards. I didn't see many 10-12 play drives. So I'm not overly concerned.

It's the first game of a new season. Redux is adjusting to the new Coach, new scheme, young players. I fully understand his comments. I"m sure as the season progresses, things will improve and so will Redux's opinions. His OP isn't that bad. As a matter of fact, I see a lot of good in it. Good that can only mean the season will improve.

:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

Heh heh heh.

Was anyone else just f'ing heartbroken for the players? That's just a really sh**ty way to lose a football game.

Here's my question cause I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are - is losing by 5 on a Hail Mary play worse/better than if we were down by 5, turned it over on downs and let's say BYU was able to milk the last few minutes of the clock down?

Personally, I would've been a bit more upset if we failed to convert a 4th down with 3 minutes left and BYU ended up running out the clock. But, Hail Mary's provide an explosive shock value, which can sometimes make a loss feel worse, even though it may not have been.

So, even though this may feel worse, it's kind of a better ending, isn't it? Either way, I hope the players look at it like this - they lost, no mater the fashion of losing. There were opportunities all over the place from field goals, to blocking assignments, you name it, that could've changed the outcome.

• Fire 1

So on facebook the Husker groups are pretty colorful and stupid. A lot are logical but several are doing the blame Riley, Hire Bo back thing. I come on here and honestly if I didn't know better I would think we won that game.

But can we please be honest? That hurt. That was a heartbreaker in every sense. We just lost an opener for the first time since before a lot of us were born. And it wasn't to Alabama or Oregon. It was to an independent BYU. Not a team to sneeze at, but not a world beater either. To prove that, they had to do it with a backup freshman QB and several guys who were out. We had guys out too, but dammit we were at home.

Pretty much all I'm seeing is sad optimism. Not pathetic but we all want to think of it as a moral win. Well it wasn't, we lost even if it was an ugly way to lose. Sure, there was a lot to like. Really there is. Team could be really good. But there was a lot to not like being ignored.

I see the "We just wanted improvement" argument. Thats not all I wanted. We canned Bo for 2 reasons. He got stale, and he was a big meany head.. Riley is frsh start and super nice. But I wan't a damn trophy. The Bo haters are now using the same excuses to defend the loss that we heard were stupid excuses.

Yeah yeah, one game, we will get better yadda yadda. I just feel defated, let down. Damn I hate losing like that. Regardless, I like our direction and think we are going the right way. But this is not our return to glory, not this season. We have a long way to go and if we let the same growing pains we all saw continue, we could be in for a long year. So lets all continue being positive, I know I will try.

No thanks....I'm fine being optimistic.

If I'm forced to be really honest, that was a very exciting football game.

No doubt it was an exciting football game. I just wish it would have been someone else on the losing end.

Felt bad for the players and coaches and fellow fans. It was a very exciting game. Tough way to put an L in the won-loss column. Can't wait for this Saturday and more Husker football!