What We Learned: South Alabama Edition

Atbone95

I learned we've got alot of work to do if we're gonna hang with Bucky and Sparty.

Luckily we only HAVE to play one of them and we may only get to play the other if we beat the other.

I always get confused. Is Bucky a Wisconsin reference or OSU?

I always think Wisconsin.

Bucky Badger. Ohio State is Brutus.

I was thrilled to see Newby become a lot more effective last night. But comparing BYU and USA when talking about Run Defense, I think they are light years apart. It is looking more and more like BYU is a decent measuring stick to what our Big Ten Schedule will look like. If that is the case I think we could fair pretty well if we continue to improve. I don't know that I expect to win the division, but I expect us to compete.

It was a feel good win, no doubt. I left the stadium in a great mood, had a blast, helped clap for the Jags as they exited, fun stuff. But we have a real test in Miami, even if they looked awful against a comparable opponent on Friday. I still don't know we win that game, I think it is still mid season before we are truly clicking as a team. But last night was truly a move in the right direction.

Some notes.

-Davie, wtf man? You had some good plays, but a lot of that nonsense needs to be worked out. Maybe it was just my seat but you had some awful plays.

-Tommy had a great game overall. I hated when he missed his receiver on the right. Guy practically had to throw a chair at him to get his attention.

-If we were going to have a big day bringing down the QB, last night was it. And we only got 1 sack on the night. That has got to improve.

-Nate Gerry is an animal. Enough said.

-Michael Rose-Ivey is an animal. Enough Said.

-The flag for the two #55's on the field during the extra point was.......interesting. I got a nice laugh out of my section when I said "I can see how that gives us an unfair advantage and all".

-I am really excited to see what Cethan Carter does for the team when he returns next week. Should effect us in a really positive way.

I learned we've got alot of work to do if we're gonna hang with Bucky and Sparty.

Luckily we only HAVE to play one of them and we may only get to play the other if we beat the other.

"Luckily"? Aren't these the games we WANT?

I was being sarcastic.

And yes I was thinking Buckeyes when he said Bucky. That was a brain fart on my part.

I always get confused. Is Bucky a Wisconsin reference or OSU?

I always think Wisconsin.

Bucky Badger. Ohio State is Brutus.

That's what I thought. Redux must have thought about OSU.

Wow it amazes me how some can see so much negative in a 48-9 win.

It was a good palet cleansing win.

The offense looked good throwing and running the rock.

Not surprised Newby stayed in that long, just a little surprised Wilbon or Cross didn't get a series in the first half.

Love the passing game like the progress in the run game.

All the negative nellies here are way off base. Anytime you hold any team in this day to around 300 in total offense that is a good day.

See how holding a team to 20 rushing really hurts.

Davie got burnt, but those were perfect passes and that was a very good reciever. That was a pretty fast football team.

The pass rush was good even though some don't think so. Hard to get sacks on 3 step drops. Their qb was pretty good

They did what they should which was dominate the game. There is no such thing as a perfect game.

• Fire 1

We beat a team we should beat convincingly. All to the good.

On points needing work, I'd still like to see something more from ST. Good punt returns should be the gut punch immediately following a defensive stop.

Davie...did not look good this game. Overmatched on speed? Bad technique? I dunno, but they kept going after him begging for a PI/holding call that was glaringly obvious. I gotta think Golden will raise a concern if Davie starts bumper-skiing off Miami's receivers like he did last night.

One thing I noticed in both games so far. It seems that every third or fourth snap when Tommy is in the shotgun is high and he has to reach up for it. That will bite us at some point if it keeps up. And tonight, on a quick out to Tommy's right, it was a timing pass and that extra part of a second meant the receiver got the ball after the defender got there, instead of a fraction of a second before. Football is a game of inches....and milliseconds.

Now, how is that for picky?! Has anyone else noticed that?

I noticed it, and sooner or later the snap will go over his head.

I guess I remember what the 80's and 90's were. This was no whoop ass. We gave up a lot of yards and big plays. The offense was mostly pedestrian against a sub par opponent. I'm not ready to crown this team as playoff ready.

I remember the 1980s and 1990s, too.

Back then, Nebraska used to beat teams like So. Alabama 48 - 9.

• Fire 7