What We Learned: South Alabama Edition

Atbone95

1.) Watching Terrell Newby come to a complete stop making a cut is a painful, painful transition from Ameer. Sometimes I don't think he knows what north-south even is...

2.) I said it last week, and I'll say it this week times about 5. Get Davie off the field, it's awful.

3.) I thought our OL did better, and we showed some growth, which was nice. We showed we can establish a running game.

4.) The lack of injuries has been refreshing.

5.) Michael Rose-Ivey is going to have a MONSTER year. I've always been a huge fan, and the dude can flat play.

TA! TA! TA! So impressive.

We're asking a lot out of our corners. Might be kind of scary.

Kudos to Hovey, Moore, and everyone else. All of a sudden every guy we've got at receiver looks like a solid threat. What a difference some new coaches make, vis-a-vis the passing game.

Enjoy this night, we don't know if we'll be able to next week. That should be a big road test for a young team. Could be a shootout. Love this season so far!

• Fire 2

I guess it was a little harder to judge the play calling 'feel' for me this week but we only seemed to have maybe 4 or 5 plays that really felt wrong to me. I think that is another good sign about the future. We mixed up better. We still have half a dozen or so little or no gain running plays, a couple of which came on third and shorts where we came up way short. Disappointing as we should not have been stopped by So. Bama IMO. Overall I give the team a solid B+ today. Kicking game a B+, Passing game a B+ and special teams a B+.

Offense -

1. Newby is good, but Wilbon is better.

2. Stacked at WR.

3. This offense is going to be solid with a big time tight end.

Defense

1. Played well at LB missing two starters.

2. It's amazing how much better tackling is.

3. The combination of poor pass rush and soft coverage is going to get exploited.

4. It's awesome to see the DL control the line of scrimmage on most runs.

5. I think Freedom Alaladamadingdong has a ton of upside. I also thought Natter looked a little saucy in mop up duty.

6. Tough night for Davie.

Special Teams

1. Hopefully Brown got some confidence.

2. Can't wait for DPE to return.

Similar to last week except So. Alabama was a far inferior opponent.

The throws TA is making and the receptions we are having are far improved. Moore and Hovey! And we already knew about Westy. We may have to shoot-out Miami to win.

Of course the rushing and OL looked better against this opponent. Newby and the OL did what we needed against this opponent. We need to grind out the tough yards next week (Ameer put the team on his back last season to beat Miami). I think we should use multiple backs against Miami to keep our guys fresh. TA will need to be dual threat to beat Miami.

DL was solid against the run tonight. Stuffed the gaps. Lack of speed off the edge to get to the QB is still concerning.

LB is thin. Rose-Ivey was the anchor there tonight.

Secondary needs help. The first two games have not been good. We need to identify players back there.

Tackling became more sloppy once the game was out of hand. Players went away from fundamentals and went back to the bad habits of throwing themselves at the ball carrier trying for a highlight big hit. Wrap up or it will be a long day against Miami.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was underwhelmed. I have no idea how good SA is.

The tackling overall has been better. The run D looks ok, the pass D is terrible. No coverage, no pass rush even when blitzing.

The offense is not good. The play calling is horrible. The best I can say about Tommy is that he was invisible tonight. He missed a few passes but he didn't have all of the miss reads and turnovers that he is prone to. He was as solid as I've seen him.

And, we still have the penalty issues that Riley teams are known for.

• Fire 1

There is no way we watched the same game.

Same here. The only big gripe I have is our secondary. Play calling was pretty good. Offense was pretty much everything we could ask for (even if it was against S Alabama). We made field goals. Our run defense was pretty stout.

If anything, the only head scratching I did was over keeping the starters in as long as we did.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was underwhelmed. I have no idea how good SA is.

The tackling overall has been better. The run D looks ok, the pass D is terrible. No coverage, no pass rush even when blitzing.

The offense is not good. The play calling is horrible. The best I can say about Tommy is that he was invisible tonight. He missed a few passes but he didn't have all of the miss reads and turnovers that he is prone to. He was as solid as I've seen him.

Color me shocked... :sarcasm

• Fire 2

The truth is a very bitter pill to swallow.

So, is AS now some dark horse for the playoff?

The truth is a very bitter pill to swallow.

So, is AS now some dark horse for the playoff?

No, we were expected to beat them and beat them bad and that is exactly what we did. We did what we were supposed to. What else did you want to see other than Pelini on the sidelines?

• Fire 1