Are you suprised?

Highway6

I don't want to turn into Minnesota. The Golden Gophers were titans of college football in the 1930s & won a national championship as recently as 1960. They dropped off a cliff after that and have only recently become a contender in their own conference again.

I concur, and this was my original concern when you fire not one but two coaches who win over 70 percent of their games.

Neither Solich nor Pelini were going to get us where we want to be. Callahan wasn't an improvement over Solich (when you factor in Cosgrove), and it remains to be seen if Riley is an improvement over Pelini.

Nobody is beating down Frank's door to get him back to coaching a Power 5 school, though. It'll be interesting to see if anyone wants Pelini in years to come.

The problem is not firing coaches, but hiring coaches. Callahan was fired from the Raiders for running the team into the ground. Riley is a career mediocre coach. At least Bo was an up and coming DC, but NU has cash; get a top coach and a top staff.

I don't want to turn into Minnesota. The Golden Gophers were titans of college football in the 1930s & won a national championship as recently as 1960. They dropped off a cliff after that and have only recently become a contender in their own conference again.

I concur, and this was my original concern when you fire not one but two coaches who win over 70 percent of their games.

Neither Solich nor Pelini were going to get us where we want to be. Callahan wasn't an improvement over Solich (when you factor in Cosgrove), and it remains to be seen if Riley is an improvement over Pelini.

Nobody is beating down Frank's door to get him back to coaching a Power 5 school, though. It'll be interesting to see if anyone wants Pelini in years to come.

The problem is not firing coaches, but hiring coaches. Callahan was fired from the Raiders for running the team into the ground. Riley is a career mediocre coach. At least Bo was an up and coming DC, but NU has cash; get a top coach and a top staff.

I'm still concerned about the staff Riley put together. Especially on defense. Banker's defenses didn't impress at OSU, and so far they aren't better here. Three games is a terrible sample size, but there are some concerns, especially how the secondary suddenly seems inept when they were... "not inept" before. Davie didn't suddenly turn into a merde cover guy, neither did Kalu. Not sure what to make of that, but it's scheme-related, definitely.

I agree with the issue of hiring. Callahan was always a mistake, from Day 1 just about everyone knew it would end badly. Riley carries his own baggage, but seems more a "Nebraska Guy" than anyone since Solich. Does he have a run left in him at this stage of his career? A lot of that depends, I believe, on how married he is to his Assistants. If something isn't working, he's got to be ready to pull the trigger. Callahan wouldn't with Cosgrove, and it got him run out of town. Same's going to happen with Riley if his guys aren't cutting it and he won't make changes.

• Fire 2

I'm still concerned about the staff Riley put together. Especially on defense. Banker's defenses didn't impress at OSU, and so far they aren't better here. Three games is a terrible sample size, but there are some concerns, especially how the secondary suddenly seems inept when they were... "not inept" before. Davie didn't suddenly turn into a merde cover guy, neither did Kalu. Not sure what to make of that, but it's scheme-related, definitely.

I agree with the issue of hiring. Callahan was always a mistake, from Day 1 just about everyone knew it would end badly. Riley carries his own baggage, but seems more a "Nebraska Guy" than anyone since Solich. Does he have a run left in him at this stage of his career? A lot of that depends, I believe, on how married he is to his Assistants. If something isn't working, he's got to be ready to pull the trigger. Callahan wouldn't with Cosgrove, and it got him run out of town. Same's going to happen with Riley if his guys aren't cutting it and he won't make changes.

:laughpound

As if he cares? NU stepped up and guaranteed him a golden parachute/retirement fund that OSU would never have offered. Hell they couldn't even afford the buyout to fire him. NU paid it and then offered him more. He turns around and grabs the guys OSU also wanted fired and guarantees them a retirement package. Does anyone really believe he's planning to stay past 5 years? So what sort of pressure is going to make him rollover on his best bud Banker? Harvey and the GingerKid are probably already writing up new pay raises with buyouts that would make Jerry Jones have a stroke. Best to just buckle up...gonna be a bumpy ride. :bang

• Fire 2

You could be right, but I would feel better about keeping coaches who had us on the threshold, as to coaches who have never been in the neighborhood.

We were on the threshold?

You could be right, but I would feel better about keeping coaches who had us on the threshold, as to coaches who have never been in the neighborhood.

Definitely. Pelini's teams set records - Melvin Gordon's, mostly.

• Fire 2

As if he cares? NU stepped up and guaranteed him a golden parachute/retirement fund that OSU would never have offered. Hell they couldn't even afford the buyout to fire him. NU paid it and then offered him more. He turns around and grabs the guys OSU also wanted fired and guarantees them a retirement package. Does anyone really believe he's planning to stay past 5 years? So what sort of pressure is going to make him rollover on his best bud Banker? Harvey and the GingerKid are probably already writing up new pay raises with buyouts that would make Jerry Jones have a stroke. Best to just buckle up...gonna be a bumpy ride. :bang

Just let it all out.

Continually bringing up 408 isn't increasing Riley's winning percentage.

Continually bringing up 408 isn't increasing Riley's winning percentage.
No but it helps remind why we went in a different direction. No way to know if we can do better unless we try.

Just let it all out.

Just don't understand it. Trying real hard to be patient with the guy, but damn. I mean, situation : You're on the verge of being run outta town by the school you've dedicated a good chunk of your life to despite the lack of resources they provide. Only reason he's still there is because OSU doesn't think they can sell 3 million cupcakes at the campus bake sale to buy yer ass out. Along comes NU, tongue wagging and checkbook out, and says you're the guy, we got all the best toys, here's a blank check, just take us to the good times. So what do you do? You go drag all the guys who got you into that S#!T storm in the first place. Brilliant. Oh but he's "comfortable" with Banker and Cavanaugh, he can trust them. To do what? F^6k sh#t up and keep the hate focused on them rather than a "nice guy" like you? That's like chicks who hang around with fat girls to make themselves look hotter.

I'm just not seeing or feeling it right now. Looking at the schedule I can envision us never seeing the other side of .500 all season. And I'm out of #@!*&$@ beer!!! :frenchy

• Fire 3

Thats the concerning thing. This year was do-able. I mean really do-able. Our rough conf games were at home for the most part. Miami and BYU were beatable. An 11 win season was not a pipe dream.

Next year, the following year, and the next. I do not like our outlook if we play like we played against Miami in the first 3 quarters.

So let's move the goalposts by pretending that never happened with Pelini. OK.

Has nothing to do with moving the goalposts......just as 408 has nothing to do with Riley being 1-2 as our head coach. Bashing Pelini is not making Riley look better. 408 is an attempted distraction. Riley is not yet sniffing Pelini's or Solich's winning percentage. He's right there with Callahan. Perfect.

• Fire 2