Have you seen me?

Hujan

The EYES never lie. I've seen Newby leave a lot of yards on the field that Wilbon would have capatilized on. That is a fact.

Well.....no.....the only fact in this statement is that you saw Newby run the ball. You can be pretty sure on some plays there were more yards to be gained. It is pure speculation that Wilbon would have gained those yards.

I pointed out in a different thread a few weeks ago that over the course of last year Imani Cross had better numbers across the board than Newby. For our system (no offense to Cross), this probably shouldn't happen.

That doesn't have anything to do with the statement you made as "fact".

So...is Wilbon not playing or being the starter a coaching mistake? Or is the just the case of "the backup is always better" I guess I find it hard to believe that staff doesn't know who the best RB is but considering that Gangwish started the year at DE it does make me wonder just a bit.

Yeah, the "backup is always better" explains the criticism in this thread. But what I think we're seeing is actually a good thing. Right now we have a wealth of RBs. Wilbon and Newby are both good enough to start on a lot of teams in the top 20. Heck, Adam Taylor might start on a lot of top 20 teams. And we haven't seen him at all. Riley might be evaluating our talent by giving each back carries during our OOC schedule. But rather than have a RB by committee and spread the carries around in each game, maybe Riley decided ahead of time which back was best suited for each of our OOC opponents. This would allow each RB to carry the load during a whole game, and really show us what he's got. It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilbon again more when our conference schedule starts. And I'm still hoping that we get to see Adam Taylor at some point.

So...is Wilbon not playing or being the starter a coaching mistake? Or is the just the case of "the backup is always better" I guess I find it hard to believe that staff doesn't know who the best RB is but considering that Gangwish started the year at DE it does make me wonder just a bit.

If the coaches thought he was better, I'm sure he would be starting. It's possible, though, IMO, that he could overtake TNewb toward the end of the season. Alot of it depends on understanding the offense and blocking ability.

The EYES never lie. I've seen Newby leave a lot of yards on the field that Wilbon would have capatilized on. That is a fact.

Well.....no.....the only fact in this statement is that you saw Newby run the ball. You can be pretty sure on some plays there were more yards to be gained. It is pure speculation that Wilbon would have gained those yards.

I pointed out in a different thread a few weeks ago that over the course of last year Imani Cross had better numbers across the board than Newby. For our system (no offense to Cross), this probably shouldn't happen.

Of course it technically isn't a fact, but should be clear to see. Without DPE we completely lack any real athleticism (sadly on both sides of the ball). I think Wilbon has his own niche' that would really help boost the offense.

We knew we would miss Ameer, Bell, and Gregory - but with that went our athletic play makers.

• Fire 1

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the meaningfulness of doing "extrapolation" such as 45 * YPC.

That's fine. It's obviously un-knowable. But your argument that there's no evidence that we couldn't have had a lot of success running the ball seems really odd to me. We were what I would deem successful (almost six yards per carry) when we did run the ball. That's the entire set of evidence we have to work with - well, that and the fact that we ran all over them last year as well. The only evidence that is lacking is because we didn't run it any more, which is the point.

There is also no evidence that we would have for some reason had less success (on a ypc basis) had we run it more than we did.

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

It could be higher if he does not hesitate so much at the point of contact IMO. I think that is the point everyone is trying to make. I do not see that same hesitation from Wilbon or Cross...

Isn't Newby averaging over 6 yards per carry? Is that not good enough that you lose your job? It seems good to me.

It could be higher if he does not hesitate so much at the point of contact IMO. I think that is the point everyone is trying to make. I do not see that same hesitation from Wilbon or Cross...

And yet Wilbon and Cross are averaging 4 to 4.5 yards per carry.

• Fire 1

And yet Wilbon and Cross are averaging 4 to 4.5 yards per carry.

Wilbon only got 3 carries vs South Bama, for 21 yards = 7 ypc. Think if he was given 28 carries like Newby.....

• Fire 2

Here's another stat, at least for those that care about stats:

Nebraska is currently averaging 7.5 yards per passing attempt for the season, good for #61 in the country.

We are currently averaging 5.1 yards per rushing attempt for the season, good for #39 in the country.

That would also seem to indicate to me that, relatively speaking, we're better at running the ball than passing the ball.

Another way to look at that is Nebraska is averaging 2.4 more yards on passing plays than rushing plays.

Which is true of basically every team in the country (to varying degrees).

We also have thrown five interceptions and fumbled it once. Two of the interceptions were inside the opponents five yard line in a game we lost by three points in overtime.

Of course it technically isn't a fact, but should be clear to see. Without DPE we completely lack any real athleticism (sadly on both sides of the ball). I think Wilbon has his own niche' that would really help boost the offense.

We knew we would miss Ameer, Bell, and Gregory - but with that went our athletic play makers.

I don't agree with that.

On offense we have Armstrong, Westerkamp, Morgan, Rieley, Moore

On defense we have Collins, Rose-Ivey, Young, Gerry.

Do we have enough? Maybe not. But, we do have some extremely good athletes on both sides of the ball. Those athletes need to be playing better football so we can win more games.

• Fire 1