Coaching or Talent - which is more responsible

If we're gonna rebuild let's rebuild. Why does that conversation always seem stop short of the QB here?

We are simply going to have to agree to disagree on both Tommy, and the backup QBs. The difference is too wide. For both our sakes, if we have to find out about those backups this season, I hope I'm the wrong one.

Cook is not as good chucking the ball as Taysom Hill or Brad Kayaa. And his WR corps is not as good as either Miami or BYU

OK, I think that is underselling Cook a little (maybe a lot). But frankly, the level the defense is playing, they need to turn things around in a big way or a lot of ho-hum QBs with ho-hum WRs are going to come out and hit the Huskers in the mouth the same way Miami did in the first quarter.

Our defense was (historically!) bad last year. We're going to have to try and manage this year.

Again, that's possible. But nobody on our schedule from here on out has a WR corps as good as BYU or Miami, that's not really debatable.

So Stave and Cook won't light us up in the passing game?

My crystal ball's in the shop right now, so I'll have to plead ignorance on what they will do. But Stave has who at WR that compares to Miami or BYU? Sparty doesn't have a WR corps like Miami or BYU, either. Heck, South Alabama has a better WR than anyone at Wisconsin.

Could either light us up? Sure. But are they better than either Miami or BYU? No way.

I think Cook is. Wisconsin's strength is still running.
Cook is not as good chucking the ball as Taysom Hill or Brad Kayaa. And his WR corps is not as good as either Miami or BYU. Individually, Cook & Stave - and maybe Beathard - are decent. But as a passing offense, we've seen the best we'll see.

We shouldn't underestimate anyone. Kaaya is great, but the secondary is severely liable to anyone.

Heck, South Alabama has a better WR than anyone at Wisconsin.

This is nice to try to say but the guy had on catch for 11 yards against Gardner-Webb. He's go two catches for 52 yards against San Diego State with 44 seconds to play. At this point I think it's fair to say we just made him look REALLY good.

• Fire 1

Tommy is the present and future. What I saw was our Offensive and Defensive line loose the battle up front all game. Hard to win a game that way. Tommy played hard all game. He had a lot less time in the pocket then Kaaya and still made some great plays. Was he perfect? No. If our D would have been able to get as much pressure on Kaaya as Miami had on Tommy, we would have won this game.

I would love to see us run more however I'm not sure we got the offensive line to create the needed holes. Last year Ameer made so many Defensive players miss in the backfield then turn up field through a nonexistent hole and get yards. Newby doesn't have the same skill set but he is faster.

Ill drop this here

These are Kayaas numbers against nebraska. One is last years stat line. One is this year.

For those relishing "the good ole days when we defended the pass"

28/42, 359 yards, 3 TD 2 INT, 64.6 QBR

25/42, 379 yards, 2 TD 1 INT, 67.6 QBR

One resulted in 33 regulation points. The other 31

That's true.

And for those loving this new system where we stop the run and take our chances with the pass:

2014: 23 carries for 76 yards, 3.3 ypc (with a RB who is now starting in the NFL)

2015: 33 carries for 132 yards, 4.0 ypc (after their starting RB got hurt and is out for the season)

Edited by Mavric
Transposed 2015 stats.
  • Fire 1

Ill drop this here

These are Kayaas numbers against nebraska. One is last years stat line. One is this year.

For those relishing "the good ole days when we defended the pass"

28/42, 359 yards, 3 TD 2 INT, 64.6 QBR

25/42, 379 yards, 2 TD 1 INT, 67.6 QBR

One resulted in 33 regulation points. The other 31

That's true.

And for those loving this new system where we stop the run and take our chances with the pass:

2014: 23 carries for 76 yards, 3.3 ypc (with a RB who is now starting in the NFL)

2015: 32 carries for 153 yards, 4.8 ypc (after their starting RB got hurt and is out for the season)

2014 was with a defensive "guru" as HC, at home in Memorial Stadium, and in year seven of the "process."

2015 was game three of the new offensive-leaning HC on the road. I'd call that a win, or at worst, a wash.

• Fire 1

Both.

Coaching...pass D is a joke. I'm a give em a chance guy typically but I've already tipped into the Banker is probably a failure camp.

Players...wr too thin, rb no stud so far, DE OMG, CB OMG, injuries and suspensions hurt badly most positions from day one.

QB...Tommy really needs to be COACHED OVER AND OVER to clean up his terrible pocket decisions (primarily waiting too long then turning and running backwards to 15 yards behind the los until the usual bad result occurs).

I disagree about Tommy. Tommy has been the least of our problems today. He's made mistakes, but he's also been one of the few bright spots throughout the game. It's pretty apparent that the scheme coming into this game was fundamentally flawed.

Agreed about the defensive coaching; awful from start to finish. Banker has a very limited competence, obviously.

You obviously don't know what you are looking at when it comes to defensive coaching. If you want to question Davies starting and being put on an island, that is fine. But the adjustments after that were something that we never saw under Little Bo Bleep and if you couldn't tell how much more speed Miami had than NU did, then there is no help for you.

You might have noticed that that my comment was made well before the end of the game. I'm no Bo defender, and I'm glad he's gone. There were some good adjustments made, but our overall performance was pitiful prior to the last phase of the game. If you can't see that then there is no helping you.