Read on Special Teams

Mavric

Several interesting notes in this OWH article:

>> There's a chart Read keeps for all special teams performers. Positive points are awarded for good plays (knockdowns and tackles). You lose points for bad plays (penalties and missed assignments). Guess who has a HUGE lead? Andy Janovich. Read said Janovich recorded four special teams tackles and four knockdowns in the Miami game – “I don't know that I remember having a guy” do that in the same game, Read said.

>> Other guys Read named who have performed well on special teams: junior Alonzo Moore, senior Taariq Allen and junior Graham Nabity.
>> The great mystery of David Knevel's number change? Read said this: Knevel's wearing No. 80 (No. 77) so that he can be eligible to catch a pass if NU were to call a fake of some sort. Same goes for Paul Thurston (wearing No. 81 instead of No. 55).
  • Fire 2

Special teams.......nobody cares about most of it until its a problem.

Good for Janovich. The guy said he likes to hit. special teams is a good place to do that.

I wonder how many PRTD's DPE would have by now this season? Probably would've changed the outcomes of some games in the field position advantage he gives us alone.

Good for Janovich. The guy said he likes to hit. special teams is a good place to do that.

I wonder how many PRTD's DPE would have by now this season? Probably would've changed the outcomes of some games in the field position advantage he gives us alone.

Thought Westerkamp has done his best PR in career last week. But we do miss DPE... Gosh I want him back already.

Thought Westerkamp has done his best PR in career last week. But we do miss DPE... Gosh I want him back already.

Will be interesting to see if he's as effective this year of if teams make more of a point of kicking away from him. I guess it's a win even if they are forced to kick away from him.

Pretty good 450k a year statician

Why do people throw in how much $ a guy makes when they want to criticize him?

Peanut Butter & Jealous?

Yeah, that's always seemed odd to me as well. It's basically the going rate for the job. It's not a guarantee that everything will be perfect. And it's not like you can pay more to guarantee better results. Just ask Iowa.

• Fire 1

Well, since the vast majority of punt returns don't end up in a TD even for guys like DPE, the safe bet would be zero. Last year he returned 34 punts with 3 TDs. 8.8%. Dang good.

Chances are he would have gained more yards though.

Westerkamp has returned 2 for an average of 16.5 though while DPE's last year was an average of 15.

Westerkamps is skewed though because of the rugby style punter from BYU that didn't allow for any return. There's a good chance DPE would have been in the same situation there with fair catches.