Another Appreciation of Tommy's Progress

Landlord

Agreed on all counts. I had my doubts that TA was a legitimate D1 qb. He has proven me wrong in a big way. To top it off, the kid has the most heart of anyone on the team. When he pounded the ground 3 times after throwing the last int to Miami, that's all I needed to know. He clearly hates to lose and he could be my QB any day.

Ditto for Langsdorf. QB play is the only area of clear improvement this year (rush defense yet to be tested) I wonder how long we will be lucky enough to have him.

I do think Langsdorf is a good QB coach. Now, if we can just get a little better Red Zone offensive calls. His play calling yesterday in the Red Zone was questionable at best. The weird thing is that his play calling in the Red Zone over the first 3 games has been pretty good. Not sure what to make of it.
Tommy is improved, but how much of that is due to the natural progression of being a 3rd year starter? I'm not so sure that we should be praising Langs for that just yet. The younger guys don't seem to have progressed much under him. And I'm really unimpressed with his play calling and time management skills. Cost us the BYU game, and almost the SMU game.

My dear God, man. This has to be a joke, right?

Agreed on all counts. I had my doubts that TA was a legitimate D1 qb. He has proven me wrong in a big way. To top it off, the kid has the most heart of anyone on the team. When he pounded the ground 3 times after throwing the last int to Miami, that's all I needed to know. He clearly hates to lose and he could be my QB any day.

Ditto for Langsdorf. QB play is the only area of clear improvement this year (rush defense yet to be tested) I wonder how long we will be lucky enough to have him.

I do think Langsdorf is a good QB coach. Now, if we can just get a little better Red Zone offensive calls. His play calling yesterday in the Red Zone was questionable at best. The weird thing is that his play calling in the Red Zone over the first 3 games has been pretty good. Not sure what to make of it.
Tommy is improved, but how much of that is due to the natural progression of being a 3rd year starter? I'm not so sure that we should be praising Langs for that just yet. The younger guys don't seem to have progressed much under him. And I'm really unimpressed with his play calling and time management skills. Cost us the BYU game, and almost the SMU game.

Well, TA made a two percent increase in his completion percentage from year one to year two and so far this year improved his completion percentage almost six points.

You may remember TM went to a QB guru between year two and three and his completion percentage went up about six points. I didn't see one single person say TM's improvement was because of his 'natural progression' of being a third year starter. Pretty much every single person said it was thanks to his off season training.

Langsdorf had a good fullback TD in the red zone (called back) and and an Iso pass to Westerkamp that was also called back. Against Miami he had 2 2pt conversions. That's not bad of you ask me. I actually really like the guy, you see improvement under his management. I am skeptical of some other coaches, but Langsdorf gets a good grade from me.

The thing that is scary is how good coach wideouts is...imagine in a few seasons when he has been with the guys longer.

To be good at trolling, you shouldn't be so obvious at it.

• Fire 1

Another thing worth mentioning is Tommy's ability to run the ball. The OP points out his vastly improved passing game. And rightly so. But Tommy's talent as a running QB exceeds his passing ability. Exceeds and enhances. DCs can't ignore Tommy's ability to run. How many first downs did Tommy run for on Saturday? At least a couple or three, IIRC. His running ability helps out our WRs by softening the pass coverage a bit. The defense has to account for Tommy at all times because he's a threat to tuck the ball and run for twenty on any play. A running QB helps out all phases of the offense, just like a good rushing attack by the DTs helps out the entire defense. Just sayin.. :thumbs:

• Fire 1

I'm really happy to see Tommy play well. I think he has improved year by year, but I think Langsdorf is giving him better chances to succeed. I would like to see him get better at the shorter passes, such as the RB screen and the terrible pass to a wide-open Cethan Carter in the flat, but I think he will get there. I'd like to see his INT numbers lower, but I hope that comes with more familiarity with the system and better decision-making. I'm happy to see Tommy Arm-so-strong getting some recognition; he is playing well. I hope he continues to succeed through conference play.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr

Tommy is #23 this year so far with a total QBR of 76.7. I think he'll move up higher (fewer drops, improved pocket/scramble, more targets to better receivers DPE, Morgan Jr). 81.7 rating is #11. We'll have a very good offensive year if Tommy goes over 80.

Last year he was #46 at tQBR 64.3 (which is not very good).

This tQBR stat includes runs, sacks, lots of stuff. Wonky analytics and such.

Great thread.

I'm really happy to see Tommy play well. I think he has improved year by year, but I think Langsdorf is giving him better chances to succeed. I would like to see him get better at the shorter passes, such as the RB screen and the terrible pass to a wide-open Cethan Carter in the flat, but I think he will get there. I'd like to see his INT numbers lower, but I hope that comes with more familiarity with the system and better decision-making. I'm happy to see Tommy Arm-so-strong getting some recognition; he is playing well. I hope he continues to succeed through conference play.

He could probably use a little more help from his guys, too, I think. You look at some of the passes that have gone incomplete this season and a lot of them were right where they needed to be and our receivers just couldn't make plays. Passes hitting guys right in their hands.

And though I too would like to see his INT's down to maybe 2-3 at this point in the season, the INT he threw against So. Miss. was just a great play on the DB's part. IIRC if it was a tough pass he was trying to make, but it bounced off our receivers hands and the DB plucked it from the air just inches from the ground. Didn't he also have a throw away INT on a deep pass right before half time one game?

We're also seeing several fewer throws where we sit and just think 'what was that, Tommy?' His accuracy has been a lot more crisp this season and it's been fun to watch.

10-31

105 yards

0 TD

1 INT

Lulz. I will say Tommy hasn't been the bulk of our problems and the weather was sh#t, along with WRs missing catches left and right. But good lord those numbers are awful

There's so much blame to go around, but bottom line, it starts at the top. Riley and the staff seem