Another Appreciation of Tommy's Progress

Landlord

It's the offense. He wasn't recruited for it and shouldn't be expected to be a good fit. He's done well considering the play calling. Most of the success today was from him flying by the seat of his pants to make something out of yet another nothing play call.

But it is the job of the coaches to adjust their comfort level to put the the current players in their comfort zone. And this goes for defense as well seeing what Ive been seeing.

Yeah, you can implement and build for the future, but if youre not gonna try to win today, then you might as well forfeit and hit the recruiting trail.

Q you really love to jump to the opportunity to show how badly he does whenever he does badly, huh?

I'm sorry, I'm not going to pump sunshine for Tommy, the QB Whisperer, or a 2-4 record. This is ugly and looks like it will only get unglier.

Nobody is asking you to. Tommy played really poorly this week, and last week. Everyone knows it. But lately you seem to be chomping at the bit to point it out whenever he does poorly.

It's the offense. He wasn't recruited for it and shouldn't be expected to be a good fit. He's done well considering the play calling. Most of the success today was from him flying by the seat of his pants to make something out of yet another nothing play call.

But it is the job of the coaches to adjust their comfort level to put the the current players in their comfort zone. And this goes for defense as well seeing what Ive been seeing.

Yeah, you can implement and build for the future, but if youre not gonna try to win today, then you might as well forfeit and hit the recruiting trail.

Well yeah...either that or put the best player on the field for what you're trying to do. I don't see it as a failure at QB though. He seemed to do great against the cupcakes....where are the receivers? What kind of running game are we not running? I didn't see any drives that weren't mostly scrambles and desperation passes. The offensive play calling doesn't seem like much of a threat.

The receivers are no less open than theyve always been. Sure the defenses are better. So that "open" isnt the "open" it was in the non con. But theyre open. And dont patronize me on that funny statement. You know what I mean. But theres more pressure up front. The pressure to win is building. And under stressful circumstances its tough to NOT revert back to bad habits.

This goes for defense as well.

Q you really love to jump to the opportunity to show how badly he does whenever he does badly, huh?

All he did was post a stat. Why do you have to attack him? Is Armstrong a close, personal friend of yours? Stop getting butthurt.

I mean. The thread is about appreciating Tommy's progress :shrug: but all I am doing is remarking on a trend I'm seeing. Not butthurt, not angry, don't care much.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Tommy's foot is okay; I haven't seen enough of Ryker Fife to think he'll be able to lead us to victory even against Purdue.

We're now 2/3 through the season, so I thought it would be a good point to check again on Tommy's statistics:

Tommy_Stats_10_28_15.jpg

I'm pulling for him. I hope he is healthy for Purdue and can get some rhythm, because MSU is tough sledding for a QB.

Tommy Armstrong is on pace to become the most prolific offensive player in the long, rich history of Nebraska football.

How do you feel about that?

Discuss.

Yes, I find it amazing how many yards, etc he is amassing as QB despite our won/loss record, etc. It really tells me that having a quarterback with big numbers is NOT a good thing when it comes to winning football games. I suspect if you're one of the members on here with the skill and interest and ability, you could likely pull up the statistics on the 'winningest quarterbacks' in Husker history and then look at his career statistics, etc. The question may be posed: are the quarterbacks with the most passing yards the 'winningest'? In fact, what were the final year end won / loss records and poll rankings of the teams that were QB'd by our record leaders?

Compare this with those teams with running backs and rushing yards that were 'top ten or top five' nationally statistically for the season. I suspect team did better when the rushing yards led the country as opposed to when the QB was a top performer, espcially passing.

Again, I ask the simple question for you number crunchers and statistical types:

If one were to analyze the top ten teams nationally in the final season ending polls and find out whether they were 'passing' or running teams? I will predict that two-thirds of the top ten teams over the last twenty years gained more yards running than passing. I would also suggest that more national championships have been won by running teams than passing teams over the same past 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, etc. I am not certain how that might come out over the past 5 years but ?

• Fire 2

The great quarterbacks on our favorite Nebraska teams tended to be 50% passers and better than average runners, too.

They had great offensive lines in common, and defenses that gave up only 8 - 15 points a game. That changes the expectations and demands on an offense.

I'm kinda tired of the run/pass ratio debate. Every great team does most things well.

If Tommy Armstrong becomes our total offense leader, he will surpass Taylor Martinez, and I'm thinking a lot of us feel the same about both players: exciting but flawed, and playing on teams with problems that vintage Husker squads didn't have to suffer. Can't dismiss their stats and competitive fire. Can't quite embrace them, either.

• Fire 2

Since we have been passing more compared to the 90s I would expect Taylor and now Tommy to surpass the QBs from the past. It is interesting that Tommy could surpass Martinez. Hopefully he doesn't try to surpass Martinez in turnovers. Both good QBs but they have their issues. If POB is as good as advertised and starts 3 years I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the leader while still not playing on a great (top10) team.