Bright spot in a dim game- Chris Weber

Well, hard to pull a lot of positive from yesterdays game, really tough to find anything offensively to talk about aside from Ozigbo, but he won't matter if they don't give him the ball, which appears to be the plan.

Defensively though, this Chris Weber kid, a sophomore walk-on from Elkhorn, Ne, deserves some props for what he's bringing to the table.

Not only is he making plays, but you can see he is doing a lot of communicating and kind of taking over a bit of a leadership role.

17 tackles yesterday against Illinois. He was in the backfield a lot, and I also remember a passing play specifically where he recognized the pass, dropped back into the lane and may have deflected sure completion.

Here's a couple articles on the guy. Good job Weber. We needed someone to step up at Linebacker, and clearly he's answered the call.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/my-walk-on-story-chris-weber/article_566ea4f2-a9e0-5b4a-a4ae-855493c5c39d.html

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/weber-the-latest-husker-success-story-from-elkhorn/article_720f1893-0860-5662-8122-d163d2e3c4a8.html

• Fire 4

Weber is a good FB player. That is what you can say about him. He is smart has good instincts and knows where he is suppose to be. He also has the most important thing for a great football player and that is a motor that doesn't quit. He is never going to test as well as Bando, Young, or Ivey, or Newby. But he sure plays as well as they do. He just makes plays.

Nebraska needs a lot more football players like this. You need the athletes, but you need these guys also. They make the really athletic guys work harder.

Most definitely agreed here. He has better instincts than Banderas. Banderas seemed to have a hard time not-getting-blocked. He always seemed to find a way to get blocked. Weber has a knack for finding holes, filling them or blasting through them to make a play. Similar to what we saw from guys like Lavonte David and Barrett Ruud. He's not at their level, but I see similar instincts. Look forward to seeing how this kid grows.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'm proud of him too. But it kind of underscores our situation at linebacker, that a sophomore walk on is in charge of our defense on the field.

Why?

Absolutely the ONLY thing that makes you say that is the two words "walk on".

Now, if that walk-on sucked and didn't play well, then I would understand your comment. However, that didn't happen. He lead the team in tackles and was all over the field making plays.

To me, I don't give a flying rip if they are a scholarship player or walk-on. He is a player that showed up and made great plays. We need more of that. If that means playing more walk-ons then I'm all for it.

• Fire 2