What it's looking like...

All true, Walks. And even the people like me who support Riley are a bit dismayed by some of the things we've seen so far. Like clock management. And boneheaded moves at the end of games. And incredibly weak pass coverage. But it doesn't help things to be calling for Riley's head at this stage. It's just not going to happen.

I guess we just have to hope that Riley fixes the on-field problems. Pronto. And pulls in a decent recruiting class. This season is pretty much in the toilet. We just need to muddle through and get better for next year.

Don't count on that. The class is currently ranked #40 on Rivals with only 4-5 spots still open, and hardly any offers out to any 4* players with any interest.

Can you stop? I've never seen you in the recruiting section, ever. That statement is a complete lie. I understand being upset - everyone is right now. But you've thrown this line around multiple times since Saturday and it's just plain false.

Just checked rivals and we are in fact ranked 40th.

The rest I'm not sure about. With attrition I'd assume that we have 10 or so open slots, but we really aren't in on that many highly rated recruits, from my understanding.

While his recruiting is slightly better here than at OSU, it's not yet better than his predecessor. And let's also not forget that the previous staff got 2 of the highest rated players in this class.

I think Callahan said they would take around 25 this year.

All true, Walks. And even the people like me who support Riley are a bit dismayed by some of the things we've seen so far. Like clock management. And boneheaded moves at the end of games. And incredibly weak pass coverage. But it doesn't help things to be calling for Riley's head at this stage. It's just not going to happen.

I guess we just have to hope that Riley fixes the on-field problems. Pronto. And pulls in a decent recruiting class. This season is pretty much in the toilet. We just need to muddle through and get better for next year.

Don't count on that. The class is currently ranked #40 on Rivals with only 4-5 spots still open, and hardly any offers out to any 4* players with any interest.

Un, no.

Can you stop? I've never seen you in the recruiting section, ever. That statement is a complete lie. I understand being upset - everyone is right now. But you've thrown this line around multiple times since Saturday and it's just plain false.

The rest I'm not sure about. With attrition I'd assume that we have 10 or so open slots, but we really aren't in on that many highly rated recruits, from my understanding.

While his recruiting is slightly better here than at OSU, it's not yet better than his predecessor. And let's also not forget that the previous staff got 2 of the highest rated players in this class.

Anyone can look up a number and copy paste it over here. For record, in the recruiting world it's becoming more and more common to use 247's Composite Ranking, which pulls all of the rankings for every player from the recruiting sites and averages them. Eliminates some of the bias/sh**ty services errors. In that case, we are ranked 30th. That's a bit different.

The main point is that - there are no 4 stars even interested - is a JOKE. Completely, 10000% false. We're in the top group of numerous 4*'s currently.

Jesus, we're going to pull a visit from a 5* committed to USC who's highly considering flipping. That's nobody, huh?

• Fire 2

Anyone can look up a number and copy paste it over here. For record, in the recruiting world it's becoming more and more common to use 247's Composite Ranking, which pulls all of the rankings for every player from the recruiting sites and averages them. Eliminates some of the bias/sh**ty services errors. In that case, we are ranked 30th. That's a bit different.

The main point is that - there are no 4 stars even interested - is a JOKE. Completely, 10000% false. We're in the top group of numerous 4*'s currently.

Jesus, we're going to pull a visit from a 5* committed to USC who's highly considering flipping. That's nobody, huh?

I don't disagree, but saying that his entire post is a complete lie is false.
  • Fire 3

Oh, well that settles that! Sheesh.

You got any evidence that it isn't true?

Here's the Rivals #40 rank, so don't even try to debunk that one: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2016/all/all

If you've got info on silent commits or leans that aren't reflected by Rivals or Scout, I'm all ears. So far the only 4* out there that we lead on is Farniok (who is 3* on Scout).

• Fire 1

Oooh, a visit? He's N!!! smh

Farniok is the only 4* (3* on Scout) who has us in the lead. Yeah, we've got offers out to plenty of 4* guys who list us as "medium interest". but those same guys have 6 or 8 schools listed as High Interest.

You're drinking too much koolaid. That's why I avoid the recruiting forums.

• Fire 3

I think Callahan said they would take around 25 this year.

That would require a lot of attrition. 5 is the max with no transfers or dismissals. So there is a good chance it will be more than 5. If Riley keeps throwing players under the bus, we might end up with 15-20 more available.

Sorry, I work for a living. Incoming.

Diondre Overton

Matt Farniok

Isaiah Simmons

Jordan Elliot

Mique Juarez

Eric Burrell

Darian Owens

Mykelle McDaniel

That's just the first page of our recruiting forums. Very interested 4 and 5 star players. Looks like a little more than 0 to me.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings - Here's what people who follow recruiting use to rank classes. Much more accurate because it's an average - if that math doesn't make sense to you, just feel free to message me.

So - what have we debunked? #40 was a cherry picked stat to back your argument. No 4/5* interested wasn't true. Currently have 15 players committed for 2016. We will graduate 17 scholarship seniors. You said yourself 5 for attrition is expected. I'd say 5 is minimum but normal, conservative, and fair for the situation we are in. That means we could sign 22 (conservatively). That leaves at least 7 spots open, not 4-5.

• Fire 2

You do realize you have no clue what you are talking bout.....right?

• Fire 3

On Rivals about every team ranked from 25-39 has more recruits than we do. Some have upwards of 23 commits. Just one 3* would bump us into top 35. Add on another 3-4 we are sitting near top 25. Pretty typical class so far. We'll get 3-4 before dead period and another 3-4 before signing day. By some opinions, Oregon is no better, currently sitting in the 30s themselves.

Diondre Overton

Matt Farniok

Isaiah Simmons

Jordan Elliot

Mique Juarez

Eric Burrell

Darian Owens

Mykelle McDaniel

That's just the first page of our recruiting forums. Very interested 4 and 5 star players. Looks like a little more than 0 to me.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings - Here's what people who follow recruiting use to rank classes. Much more accurate because it's an average - if that math doesn't make sense to you, just feel free to message me.

So - what have we debunked? #40 was a cherry picked stat to back your argument. No 4/5* interested wasn't true. Currently have 15 players committed for 2016. We will graduate 17 scholarship seniors. If you want to back your stat on zero attrition, that's fine but a little foolish. I'd say 5 is normal, conservative, and fair for the situation we are in. That means we could sign 22 (conservatively). That leaves 7 spots open, not 4-5.

I never said "0 4* players" . Out of the 4* guys you listed, like I said earlier, Farniok is the only one that we lead on.

Burrell is a 3* on Scout, and he has High interest in another team with us as one of 4 teams with medium interest.

McDaniel, see Burrell. 3*on Scout, high interest for Florida. We are tied with medium interest with the gamecocks.

Owens is a soft verbal to UCLA.

Elliot has a great offer list. He has us listed in a dead heat with Michigan, USC, Oklahoma and Texas.

Overton has us listed even with 4 other schools that are in his backyard. We are the clear outlier (I guess we can hope he decides to move away from home, but how many WRs do we need in this class?)

Simmons is probably the next best bet after Farniok. 500 mile radius and all. But he also has us listed even with ASU, Mizzou, KSU and KU.

Juarez is a fantasy.

So that's about 4 4* with any realistic interest. I said "hardly any". If you want to quibble about 4 being more than "hardly any", let's do it by PM.

Here are current numbers from a good friend of mine that follows this all very closely:

PROJECTED 2016 Recruiting Budget: 17 = 17 Sr

PROJECTED 2016 available slots: 19 = recruiting budget + 2/3 MT/EE pOvS

PROJECTED 2016 Scholarships to Give: 17

PROJECTED MAX class size: 20

PROJECTED remaining slots: 4

PROJECTED remaining available scholarships: 2

PROJECTED MAX remaining commits: 5

So the 5 additional includes oversigning. Any more than 5 requires attrition. And like I also said before, Riely keeps throwing players under the bus, we might have 10-15 additional slots thanks to xfers.

• Fire 1

Diondre Overton

Matt Farniok

Isaiah Simmons

Jordan Elliot

Mique Juarez

Eric Burrell

Darian Owens

Mykelle McDaniel

So - what have we debunked? #40 was a cherry picked stat to back your argument. No 4/5* interested wasn't true. Currently have 15 players committed for 2016. We will graduate 17 scholarship seniors. If you want to back your stat on zero attrition, that's fine but a little foolish. I'd say 5 is normal, conservative, and fair for the situation we are in. That means we could sign 22 (conservatively). That leaves 7 spots open, not 4-5.

I never said "0 4* players" . Out of the 4* guys you listed, like I said earlier, Farniok is the only one that we lead on.

Burrell is a 3* on Scout, and he has High interest in another team with us as one of 4 teams with medium interest.

McDaniel, see Burrell. 3*on Scout, high interest for Florida. We are tied with medium interest with the gamecocks.

Owens is a soft verbal to UCLA.

Elliot has a great offer list. He has us listed in a dead heat with Michigan, USC, Oklahoma and Texas.

Overton has us listed even with 4 other schools that are in his backyard. We are the clear outlier (I guess we can hope he decides to move away from home, but how many WRs do we need in this class?)

Simmons is probably the next best bet after Farniok. 500 mile radius and all. But he also has us listed even with ASU, Mizzou, KSU and KU.

Juarez is a fantasy.

So that's about 4 4* with any realistic interest. I said "hardly any". If you want to quibble about 4 being more than "hardly any", let's do it by PM.

Here are current numbers from a good friend of mine that follows this all very closely:

PROJECTED 2016 Recruiting Budget: 17 = 17 Sr

PROJECTED 2016 available slots: 19 = recruiting budget + 2/3 MT/EE pOvS

PROJECTED 2016 Scholarships to Give: 17

PROJECTED MAX class size: 20

PROJECTED remaining slots: 4

PROJECTED remaining available scholarships: 2

PROJECTED MAX remaining commits: 5

So the 5 additional includes oversigning. Any more than 5 requires attrition. And like I also said before, Riely keeps throwing players under the bus, we might have 10-15 additional slots thanks to xfers.

We can have this discussion in the recruitment forum if you'd like (where we do this type of stuff all the time). I'm all for being civil, and having the mature conversation. I'm just done having it here, because you're cherry picking your stats again.

Even if the recruiting is indeed as good as some are professing here, what do you think Riley and staff would do with that talent?

Conjecture, of course, but I'm willing to bet a Mike Riley led Husker team in 2018 would look something a lot like, oh...2007.

I'd only be slightly worried about how a weak recruiting class would affect our next coaching staff's teams.

But hopefully we'd hire a staff competent enough to roll with that if that is the hand that was dealt...next man up.

As if teams haven't had weak recruiting classes before due to coaching transitions (or whatever reason) and still been highly successful.

Ever watched that team a little over 2 hours south of Lincoln? They seem to do pretty well with mediocre (at best) recruiting classes.

And yes, I realize this argument can also be used in defense of Riley (against those who perceive the class rating to be too low or unremarkable), but right now, I don't think you have much ammo proving he can/could/would do more with less...or more...whatever your opinion of his recruiting prowess is.

• Fire 1

Also, GBRedneck, since when does good recruiting only equal leading for a player? Like, if we're not #1 on his list, then we're nothing? Also, many of the players you say we don't lead for have listed Top x (NO ORDER) lists, and you're conjecture is as good as Lebron James' on who their top school is.