We could very easily be 1-4 or 4-1

Discounting the Miami game which took the other team taking their foot off the gas and allowing us to comeback, every game this season was close enough for a very different record outlook coming to remedial mental errors.

Our wins and losses this season to the outsider look like a lost season but with every transitional program there is a silver lining.

Does a season of losses propel this team onward with the juice to get it done in the offseason?

I think taking out our burning desire to win my question is, would a season of close losses be healthier for this team in the long run than winning enough games for a better bowl game?

• Fire 2

Isn't that remarkable? It's funny how it works. A winner has to come out of every game and a few breaks this way or that doesn't change how strong or weak this team has been: very average.

I always talk about this team in recent years as being a 20-45 ranked team, or some kind of wide range like that. A few wins and you can point to the record and put them in the Top 25. A few losses and they're way down. In reality the caliber of play is not so different from any number of teams in that same area. It's why I've felt the 9-win records especially in '13 and '14 were so "paper tiger" (as far as an unranked 9-win team can be a tiger, to begin with).

This year, Nebraska have really gotten short shrift (fully earned!). It's now a test of mental resolve: collapse and say "we suck", or keep clawing forward.

I had no expectations this season. I obviously wanted to win them all or a majority of them and see great improvement but as of today, I am less than thrilled. I am not throwing my Husker card down the drain as I hope this is a curve we can get around. Dr Jack Stark was part of our program back through the 90s into the early 2000's and I just wonder if we wouldn't benefit by looking at what he did and see if we need to recreate it? The mental part of the game obviously plays a part in how we play.

Isn't that remarkable? It's funny how it works. A winner has to come out of every game and a few breaks this way or that doesn't change how strong or weak this team has been: very average.I always talk about this team in recent years as being a 20-45 ranked team, or some kind of wide range like that. A few wins and you can point to the record and put them in the Top 25. A few losses and they're way down. In reality the caliber of play is not so different from any number of teams in that same area. It's why I've felt the 9-win records especially in '13 and '14 were so "paper tiger" (as far as an unranked 9-win team can be a tiger, to begin with).This year, Nebraska have really gotten short shrift (fully earned!). It's now a test of mental resolve: collapse and say "we suck", or keep clawing forward.

2012 was actually the best example of what you refer to. The average scoring margin during the conference that season was only +4.5 points per game, despite a 7-1 record. Four games were won by 6 points or less. This is why it wasn't surprising to some when that postseason turned so sour.

I'd be fine with close losses to MSU, Wiscy, Minny, NW, hell.... even Iowa. But a blowout loss to a Miami team we outclassed last year, and losses to BYU and Illinois are not good. Those games shouldn't have been close.

Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose. We're much closer to 1-4 than we are 4-1.

Maybe we turn it around next year, in fact I hope we do.

I'd be fine with close losses to MSU, Wiscy, Minny, NW, hell.... even Iowa. But a blowout loss to a Miami team we outclassed last year, and losses to BYU and Illinois are not good. Those games shouldn't have been close.

Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose. We're much closer to 1-4 than we are 4-1.

Maybe we turn it around next year, in fact I hope we do.

I would actually say we are a lot closer to 4-1 considering the win percentages we possessed at certain points of those games. Obviously it doesn't really matter one way or the other though...

Discounting the Miami game which took the other team taking their foot off the gas and allowing us to comeback, every game this season was close enough for a very different record outlook coming to remedial mental errors.

Our wins and losses this season to the outsider look like a lost season but with every transitional program there is a silver lining.

Does a season of losses propel this team onward with the juice to get it done in the offseason?

I think taking out our burning desire to win my question is, would a season of close losses be healthier for this team in the long run than winning enough games for a better bowl game?

And here it is. The Oregon St. expectations are officially here.

I do not think we are 5-0 with Bo still at the helm, 4-1 is likely, even 3-2 is likely with Bo.

I have been absolutely outraged since Saturday with this coaching staff. Being located in Oregon I got to know Riley well while he was at Corvallis.

However, looking at the overall picture, the Illinois game is really the only absolutely terrible game produced by this coaching staff. Completely inexcusable.

BUT, the rest of the games I have liked what i've seen, i've seen reason for hope and there has been improvements (besides the penalties) But i think under previous staff we dont come back from the BYU or Miami games.

And here it is. The Oregon St. expectations are officially here.

Yep.