So why did we hire Mike Riley?

Don't forget he also won the Heroe's Trophy last year. But he did lose out on the Bits of Broken Chair Trophy and the Freedom-to-run-for-408-yards-Trophy.

Still more trophies than the current coach has won at this level.

If the previous 7 years are a failure, can't wait to see how this year gets excused.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, you could root for our team to be successful in this, the first year of our new coach.

I think everyone is rooting for the team to be successful. It's not the losing of two games in a row that has people that concerned. It is STUPIDLY losing two games in a row. Riley literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with 55 seconds left, against ILLINOIS. Good coaches don't do that. Even mediocre coaches don't do that. Only BAD coaches do that.

God help us against teams that are actually good.

Don't forget he also won the Heroe's Trophy last year. But he did lose out on the Bits of Broken Chair Trophy and the Freedom-to-run-for-408-yards-Trophy.

If the previous 7 years are a failure, can't wait to see how this year gets excused.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, you could root for our team to be successful in this, the first year of our new coach.

You need to brush up on your spitballing skills. With the exception of part of 1 quarter, I've made it a prority to watch the games. Dropped some dough on it doing so.

I've never not rooted for the team, and even if I didn't, it won't make this staff successful or a failure. That's on them regardless of what I or anyone else does on game day.

We are all rooting for the team to be successful. However it's upsetting seeing a coaching staff with supposedly unmatched coaching experience completely lose a game on their own. I could understand the BYU loss, I could understand the Miami loss but that Illinois loss is completely inexcusable. The coaches went out of their way to make that game as difficult as possible to win, good coaches don't do that and we deserve better.

• Fire 2

He was hired because he's got a relatively clean track record, is a nice guy, and was "safe"...

They wanted to hire the "Anti Bo"

When they hired him, they overlooked the fact he's an asshair over .500 and is signature bowl win is the "Sun"...

His previous track record at much lower tier schools shouldn't be used heavily against him, imho. Saban was an ass hair over .500 at Michigan St. before bailing for LSU. Not saying they're the same guy, obviously. But, a lot of very successful coaches at major division one programs weren't exactly stellar at their other head coaching jobs.

Why shouldn't it? What other reasons was he hired? Because he's a nice guy?

His previous record is his resume. If you were trying to get hired by a company, and your resume was "eh", would you expect to get hired?

He was hired because he's got a relatively clean track record, is a nice guy, and was "safe"...

They wanted to hire the "Anti Bo"

When they hired him, they overlooked the fact he's an asshair over .500 and is signature bowl win is the "Sun"...

His previous track record at much lower tier schools shouldn't be used heavily against him, imho. Saban was an ass hair over .500 at Michigan St. before bailing for LSU. Not saying they're the same guy, obviously. But, a lot of very successful coaches at major division one programs weren't exactly stellar at their other head coaching jobs.

Why shouldn't it? What other reasons was he hired? Because he's a nice guy?

His previous record is his resume. If you were trying to get hired by a company, and your resume was "eh", would you expect to get hired?

So if I took a company that was always losing money & turned them into a company that broke even, then yes.

We are all rooting for the team to be successful. However it's upsetting seeing a coaching staff with supposedly unmatched coaching experience completely lose a game on their own. I could understand the BYU loss, I could understand the Miami loss but that Illinois loss is completely inexcusable. The coaches went out of their way to make that game as difficult as possible to win, good coaches don't do that and we deserve better.

This I agree with. The Illinois loss falls directly on Riley & Co. At the same time Riley & Co deserve a chance to bring in their guys & see how things shake out, but my guess is games like this will tighten up his leash a little. Just think it could be worse. We could be Texas.

Just look at Alabama from Bear to Saban. Aside from a title in 1992 and a couple other good seasons (but were later busted for cheating), Alabama wallowed in poor coaching hires. That is 30-something years. Nebraska needs to can Riley and get it's next coaching hire right.

Just look at Alabama from Bear to Saban. Aside from a title in 1992 and a couple other good seasons (but were later busted for cheating), Alabama wallowed in poor coaching hires. That is 30-something years. Nebraska needs to can Riley and get it's next coaching hire right.

Dear Lord. If I were your boss I'd shitcan you the first time you used an eraser. Do you really think this stuff through before you post? Five games and you want a new coach?

Saints preserve us.

• Fire 1

It's already been touched on they wanted the exact opposite of Bo and to hell with wins and losses. Eichorst should know that when you make dumb statements like " we have fallen to the level of Iowa" that it will bite you in the ass just like Petey said about falling into mediocrity which we have been at ever since he made that statement. Riley probably isn't the answer but hey he can smile and be nice to the fans and media and that's all that matters.

This I agree with. The Illinois loss falls directly on Riley & Co. At the same time Riley & Co deserve a chance to bring in their guys & see how things shake out, but my guess is games like this will tighten up his leash a little. Just think it could be worse. We could be Texas.

If Riley was about 10 years younger I would gladly accept patience and waiting for him to bring in his guys.

But with the 40+ years of coaching experience, plus his time is already ticking I figured bringing Riley in would be winning now. I understand a 8-9 win first year, but then I expected us to make strides of conference titles the years after.

Now, its completely rebuilding year 1, hopefully improve to 8-9 wins year 2, and then suddenly Rile is 64 years old.....And we start looking to rebuild with a new coach again.

This hire has set us back at least 8 years.

Again, I'd be all for Riley if he used his so called unmatched experience and won immediately, got us to the top and the next coach comes in and keeps us there or even improves.

But we took a step back, and now looking at the near future, we are years away from the rebuild we actually need.

Serious question, I know that there are numerous threads on what he is/did do wrong, but I want to know what makes/made him the tight choice.

I'll admit I wasn't a fan of the hire, I had to google his name and then read some about him and was even less inthused. His record, scheme etc.... With that in mind, I figured support him and the team until I'm proven otherwise.

Flash back to the hiring and firing. With all of the "big time" guys available what made Riley stand out? Was it his demeanor (the Anti-Bo)?

Was it his experience?

Was it the cost of hiring him?

His style of offense?

Ability to do more with less?

West coast recruits?

I'm asking as I really didn't see anything then they made me say "great hire". For full disclosure, I bought into the idea of more experience equaled another win or two. I believed the "more with less" and the scheming to the talent and abilities of the guys...

So what made him the guy? I really have no idea.

From what I could tell he was the opposite of Bo (nicest coach in the world). Riley has only won in the world football league which equates to semi-pro football league. He never won in Corvallis consistently, or San Diego at all. He was at OR St. long before Oregon got good. he wasn't winning then consistently either. While he was at a third rank school with that lever of resources, I am fully tired of that being the apologist's main excuse for him. MANY other coaches that win, came up through that type of school and done exceptionally well. Riley isn't the right fit for NU. I would love to be wrong on this one because being right means more losing and I don't want NU to lose ever..

Here is a prediction... the end of the season record will be 4-8, with wins over Rutger's and Purdue. a 4-8 season is serious because the talent and schedule should have permitted at least a 7-5 season. Many records have already been broken by Riley and Co, first 1-2 start since 1981, first 2-3 start since 1959. I would have to dig deep to figure out when the last 4-8 (roughly as they didn't play 12 games that long ago) season record occurred. Guess I would just look for 4 win seasons. At this pace, this staff is the most likely to break the biggest record at NU, the home sellout streak! I fully expect later this year (or maybe next year) to see lots of fans dressed as empty seats. the place may be sold out but fans wont put up with sub-par football for long. especially when NU is getting blown out (Bo was in danger of this one too). We will see how this goes against Michigan St at they are the most likely to issue a whopping to us (and maybe Iowa and Northwestern).

I will say this here, PLEASE Mikey, prove me wrong!! I don't want to see NU getting beat and would like to see you succeed. I just believe this stage is too big for you.. please prove me wrong..

I think he was the only coach who would listen to any offers. The firing of Bo made alot of coaches stand back and not want this chance. Riley was looking for a way out of Corvallis before he was let go! Did or was there other offers on the table.....one would hope that since this all went down in San Fran, Harbaugh was at least approached.....

Since Solich was fired, the image of NU football has never been the same. In some ways, it was stupid that Solich was fired, during a season when you hired a defensive CO, and that defense was solid enough to only lose to Top 10 teams.

Riley was the only choice apparently. I guess the days of having your ducks in a row, and having the next coach lined up before you fire your current 9 win coach. Pederson started this process of firing and having no hires available. Its only gotten worse

Sorry but I don't buy this crap for one second.

Texas is a serious under-achiever. Sadly NU is right behind them...

It's already been touched on they wanted the exact opposite of Bo and to hell with wins and losses. Eichorst should know that when you make dumb statements like " we have fallen to the level of Iowa" that it will bite you in the ass just like Petey said about falling into mediocrity which we have been at ever since he made that statement. Riley probably isn't the answer but hey he can smile and be nice to the fans and media and that's all that matters.

At least until the fans stop buying tickets...