Running on first-down.

Anyone know how often we run the ball on first-down? I won't mind doing the research once I get the time. Figured I'd throw it out there in case somebody knew, or knew of a good site to just look it up.

We're at 50 - 60 - 7 for rush - pass - penalty, based on what I found below:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/national/index.html

I like that site but I don't think it has anything on what plays are called on first down. Or am I missing it?

Anyone know how often we run the ball on first-down? I won't mind doing the research once I get the time. Figured I'd throw it out there in case somebody knew, or knew of a good site to just look it up.

We're at 50 - 60 - 7 for rush - pass - penalty, based on what I found below: http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/national/index.html
I like that site but I don't think it has anything on what plays are called on first down. Or am I missing it?

Those stats are number of first downs gained and how they occurred.

I would think that you will have to go through the game logs for each game to get the run-pass ratio on 1st down calls. Chatelain said that for Illinois, NU called 11 first down passes. I can't remember how many times he said NU ran the ball.

Nebraska ran 27 first-down plays Saturday — 11 passes, 16 rushes.

On first down, Tommy Armstrong was 2-for-11 for 15 yards, including a completion for minus-1. In other words, one of 11 attempts produced a gain.

Meanwhile, 16 first-down rushing plays produced 94 yards. Seven of Nebraska’s first eight first-down rushes gained four yards or more, putting NU on schedule to move the chains.

As the game wore on, it became more and more clear that Armstrong was off. Yet NU kept taking shots downfield. The Huskers averaged 5.5 yards per carry and 3.4 yards per pass attempt.

OWH

• Fire 2

I would think that you will have to go through the game logs for each game to get the run-pass ratio on 1st down calls. Chatelain said that for Illinois, NU called 11 first down passes. I can't remember how many times he said NU ran the ball.

11 times not enough!

Nebraska ran 27 first-down plays Saturday — 11 passes, 16 rushes.

On first down, Tommy Armstrong was 2-for-11 for 15 yards, including a completion for minus-1. In other words, one of 11 attempts produced a gain.

Meanwhile, 16 first-down rushing plays produced 94 yards. Seven of Nebraska’s first eight first-down rushes gained four yards or more, putting NU on schedule to move the chains.

As the game wore on, it became more and more clear that Armstrong was off. Yet NU kept taking shots downfield. The Huskers averaged 5.5 yards per carry and 3.4 yards per pass attempt.

OWH

Wow. Those are actually some very good rushing stats. If Langsdorf and Riley stop trying to outsmart themselves, our offense will be in great shape.

Tommy has taken a HUGE step in development with this staff, and he's been playing great, but those winds last weekend were throwing his passes off really bad. Hopefully we don't see weather like that the rest of the season.

There's also a big difference between cold, wet and windy, and warm and windy. The BYU game as a pretty windy game, but, it really doesn't affect you the same way the cold and wet do.

Given the sheer amount of criticism this week, I really hope the coaches take this as a learning experience for this team. Corvallis may have had grumbling about problems, but, you mess up at Nebraska and people are really going to let you hear it. Hopefully, they take something away from that.

There's also a big difference between cold, wet and windy, and warm and windy. The BYU game as a pretty windy game, but, it really doesn't affect you the same way the cold and wet do.

Given the sheer amount of criticism this week, I really hope the coaches take this as a learning experience for this team. Corvallis may have had grumbling about problems, but, you mess up at Nebraska and people are really going to let you hear it. Hopefully, they take something away from that.

Doesn't it affect both QB's though?

Tommy was 10-31. Lunt was 23-45

Doesn't it affect both QB's though?

Tommy was 10-31. Lunt was 23-45

Also affects different types of passes differently. We threw 25+ yards nine times. I don't know how many Illinois threw but I don't remember many. One for sure.

Tommy threw some head-shaking deep balls when nothing was there. True, there were some that were near misses that would've changed the game and it's good to focus on that (goes for both teams, though). There were also some nowhere near anybody, I thought. And it's not the first time this year he's gone through a hellacious cold spell like that, only this one didn't end.

I don't have a problem with 16 runs to 11 passes on 1st & 10 (maybe 18 to 9 would be better? 19 to 8?) but those passes produced nothing.

First Down Plays against Southern Miss (in order, grouped by possession):

Pass to Westy for 15

Newby run for 3

Newby run for 13

Newby run for 17

Pass to Westy for 11

Newby run for -2

Reilly run for 2

Newby run for 5

TA run for 1

Pass to Reilly for 22

Newby run for 6

Newby run for 2

Newby run for 0

Pass to Janovich for 53

Ozigbo run for 2

Newby run for 0 (not officially a play - holding penalty)

Pass to Reilly for 49

TA run for 9

Incomplete pass (drive started with 34 seconds in the half on own 48 - not officially a play: offensive pass interference)

Pass to Westy for 27

Incomplete pass

HALFTIME

Cross run for -2

Cross run for 1

Moore run for 9

Janovich run for 4

Cross run for 8

Newby run for 6

Newby run for 6

Pass to Moore for 20

Incomplete pass

Pass to Allen for 10

Newby run for -1

Pass to Westy for 17

Newby run for 7

TA run for 17

Janovich run for 2

Newby run for 4

Pass to Westy for 1

• Fire 2

So that's 25 runs for 111 yards (4.4 ypc) and 8/11 passing for 149 yards (13.5 ypa) - or something close to those numbers.

I didn't count the pass to Reilly for 49 and the pass to Westy for 27 as those were first and long due to the penalties.

I'm not sure if the runs by TA were scrambles (called pass plays) or designed runs.