Take down the banners inside the practice facilities?

Kernal

Would taking down the Banners inside the Practice Facitlities...  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Leave the banners alone. If this is truly a problem, removing banners will not fix that attitude. I can't believe these players, or any for quite a few years, could actually believe they are anything extra special because of what others did over 15 years ago. If anything, maybe it will remind them to work that much harder because they have a LONG way to go to deserve any recognition of their own.

That's a fair take.

I think the main issue JP is taking up, is disrespecting the fans. Yes, we(many) have beaten them up, but it's more a minority than they think. When you stink it up, the haters voice gets louder because the sunshine pumpers have a hard time finding something other than, "it's game 5" or "it takes time."

I mean, seriously, if the fans are that bad why do 90k show up to EVERY home game and yell for them. Why do 10k go to Miami? 20k trek to Illinois? Those aren't fans you bad mouth and unknowingly to them, this "I play for team/coaches/family" generalizes the fan base because of bozos going berserk over a poorly planned game. Hell, at least feel like you play for the university!

Omitting the fans feeds the angst.

I get why he says it. I feel it's mostly out of frustration though. We aren't going to barricade off the trophy room until we win another title are we?

I don't think you throw them out or anything, or bar players from looking at them- just maybe don't have them everywhere. I was just curious if people thought players starting off the season in an empty practice facility, just as the season itself starts out empty of awards and accolodes, could perhaps be beneficial.

I don't disagree that we could do with less accolades all over the place, but to do it to deny the players, as JP suggests, is asinine.

Just like waiting to hand out the blackshirts until they've earned i

Just a passing thought..rather than focusing on the banners...how about a blackshirt-esque philosophy that extends to the whole team. When you come into camp, you get a white helmet, just white. You don't get a red N until a select group of senior players feel you have earned it out on the practice field. Not as drastic as taking down the banners, which aren't theirs anyway...and I think it could build into a nice tradition....awarding the Big Red N for the helmet.

Dressing down players in order to build them back up may work in the military, but Riley will NEVER take that approach. There is more than one way to motivate.

Such as...?

It's a radical new theory called "positive reinforcement". I think it started with some hippies at Berkley in the 70's. They also started something called yogging. It may start with a silent j though.

I like what JP is hinting at. It's more about trying to teach the players that if you truly want to win championships and have a banner of your own then you have to work for it. Like blood, sweat and tears work for it. When you're 2-3 you do need a wake up call so I like the jist of what he is implying. A lot.

Taking down the banners would hurt the team. They need motivation to live up to something, aspire to something and have goals of high standards and performance. If the coaches can't do it, then team history, Husker mania, former player histories and contacts, etc. may get them to identify with an image of traditions, excellence, and performance they don't seem to sacrifice to attain now.

Taking the banners down says "You don't belong, your are not a Husker, don't bother."

• Fire 1

To me the whole banner thing doesn't make a difference. However, what interested me was Peter's views on the energy level and laying down the law. One of the most disappointing things Riley has done is allowing Lewis to continue being a captain. Based on what? Because the players think he should keep it? Obviously the players on this team need some leadership and guidance. If they see that Lewis can do what he's doing and still continue being a captain, what does that show?