Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

And GOAT, you don't even have a warning point or suspension on your rrecord -- so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I think that is at some "other" site.

Ohhhh, okay. Well, then ... maybe leave the angst over that back at that other site? :D (Not saying it was or wasn't unfair, but you know...I'm happy to have outside drama stay outside.)

I was repeatedly told that they were good and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Now that we're off to a poor start, suddenly the cupboard is bare and our players aren't any good. Can't have it both ways.

I don't think we're having it both ways, really. I think people who feel the team Riley inherited was very talented are holding him properly accountable to these early results. The people who have felt Bo's roster (whether through recruiting, turnover, management, or a combination) left us with a vulnerable situation are okay to shrug off any number of initial challenges.

We won't do it forever, of course. As time goes on, this team and its makeup become fully owned by Riley.

Put me in the boat with the people who think we have talent on this team and we also have good coaches on the staff right now.

Even with those two things, a transition year can be rough. And, by rough I'm only talking about the W-L record. That win loss record is literally drastically different if somewhere around 20 seconds of playing time goes different. If that 20 seconds are different, all of a sudden we are possibly 5-1 and people's attitudes are totally different even though basically we have the exact same team playing the same way.

• Fire 1

I think most Nebraskans support the idea of fairness. And that means you give a new coach a few years to get his bearings and get things rolling. That's not being a "Riley Supporter," that's being a sane and rational person.

Disagree. Automatically giving someone x amount of time is being a blind supporter. Evaluating performance every day and acting accordingly is what a sane and rational person should do.

Should USC be giving Sarkisian the rest of his second season?

• Fire 2

I think most Nebraskans support the idea of fairness. And that means you give a new coach a few years to get his bearings and get things rolling. That's not being a "Riley Supporter," that's being a sane and rational person.

Disagree. Automatically giving someone x amount of time is being a blind supporter. Evaluating performance every day and acting accordingly is what a sane and rational person should do.

LOL....you are comparing our coach who has lost some games on the last play of the game to a coach with a bad drinking problem that has been found to have been drunk while performing the duties he was hired to do.

Wow....

Also, what you described is NOT what a sane and rational person does. What you described is what an emotional bi polar person does which causes that person to have irrational highs and lows.

Also....you are not Mike Riley's boss. So, your constant/every day evaluation means jack squat. Really....I hate breaking this to you....but, your constant complaining and criticizing doesn't do anything productive for the program. You might THINK you are the boss of the program so you need to point out every single thing that is going wrong constantly.....but...sorry to say, you're not. I hope you are able to take that news OK.

Good managers of a business don't even evaluate performance every single day and be critical of the people below them every single day without having a long term approach. If that were the case, every time someone hires a sales person and that sales person doesn't sell something the first day they are on the job they would be fired. THAT is irrational and it perfectly demonstrates the attitudes some people have had on the first part of the first season with this staff.

• Fire 5

If Riley shows up drunk to a booster event and a practice, then yes, he should be fired midway through the season.

• Fire 4

I think the last coach to be fired either mid year or right after year one for on-field performance in major college or even professional football was a Southern Miss coach a few years back. If that AD/GM is the epitome of sane and rational then I prefer my AD a bit more on the crazy side.

And bringing Sarkisian into the conversation is just low an you know it.

• Fire 3

I wanted to introduce myself. I am the guy that wrote about the recruiting rankings stats on the original page of this thread.

I read through it all and it seems about as divided fanbase as it ever was under the previous staff. Hopefully that changes.

In response to people that didn't seem to think that Nebraska would go 2-4 this half of MR first season mustve forgotten about that article that Stewart Mandel wrote about 3 months ago saying that it wasn't a stretch for Nebraska to start the season 3-4.

Outside of that, I would like to go back to the recruiting/talent level talk discussed earlier where a poster pointed out that the national attrition average was 39%. I couldn't find any evidence supporting this claim outside of analyzing the teams that were in the discussion. I found some interesting results I am going to post once I get home. Stay tuned.

• Fire 1

I don't think anybody would argue rationally that Sarkisian should still be USC's head coach. But, from my own perspective, Nebraska has been floating on the fringes of mediocrity for more than a decade. That includes while we were under Bo Pelini. I believe a coach, whoever that coach is, deserves more than six games to do things his way and try to turn things around.

People see 2-4, the penalties, the lack of execution and all of the other problems and say it's time to head a new direction. They're entitled to that opinion, of course. But, what I see is a coach trying to take over a program that really hasn't been good for a long time with players that are good (not great), and most importantly, not his own.

And as I've said from the beginning of this season, if Bo Pelini were here, we very well could be 5-1, 4-2 or maybe even better. 5-1 would likely be best case scenario, reasonably speaking. But, the status quo around here the last 6-7 years was 9 wins and no progress. That very well could've happened again because we knew nothing else around here.. I'm still willing to take a shot at being better if it means taking lumps early on.

• Fire 2

The difference between Charlie Strong and Mike Riley is that Strong is much younger.

They are separated by 7 years.

Which, in coaching terms, is an eternity.

I don't buy that

You don't have to "buy" anything. If Strong is a success at Texas, he'll likely be there for 15 or so years, which is a pretty long tenure in CFB, enough to get established with a set system and really get it rolling. With Riley, we probably have 7 or 8. If you don't see the difference in that, I don't know what to tell ya.

LOL....you are comparing our coach who has lost some games on the last play of the game to a coach with a bad drinking problem that has been found to have been drunk while performing the duties he was hired to do.

Wow....

Also, what you described is NOT what a sane and rational person does. What you described is what an emotional bi polar person does which causes that person to have irrational highs and lows.

Also....you are not Mike Riley's boss. So, your constant/every day evaluation means jack squat. Really....I hate breaking this to you....but, your constant complaining and criticizing doesn't do anything productive for the program. You might THINK you are the boss of the program so you need to point out every single thing that is going wrong constantly.....but...sorry to say, you're not. I hope you are able to take that news OK.

Good managers of a business don't even evaluate performance every single day and be critical of the people below them every single day without having a long term approach. If that were the case, every time someone hires a sales person and that sales person doesn't sell something the first day they are on the job they would be fired. THAT is irrational and it perfectly demonstrates the attitudes some people have had on the first part of the first season with this staff.

Whoosh, right over your head.

I didn't compare Riley to anybody. I was talking about generalities. Did Pat Haden say "We are sane and rational and we are giving every new coach at least 3 years no matter what?" No. Nobody does this. Everything is a constant evaluation.

I don't think Riley should be fired right now. I've never said he should. Now, if he goes winless with lots of blowout losses to finish the season, then I'll probably be on board with firing him after one season. If he keeps every game close and gets to 6-6 or maybe even 5-7, I probably would give him at least one more year.

But a sane and rational boss does not automatically give a coach x number of years no matter what. That was my point. They should constantly evaluate and act accordingly.

• Fire 1

I have no problem giving Riley another year; as a matter of fact I'd expect no less. But if this team doesn't show some drastic improvement in several facets in 2016, his seat will be on fire, as it should. Even so, I doubt Eichorst will do anything until Riley's contract is up, no matter how bad things may be. Hopefully Richt will be available by then :-)

I'm gonna go ahead and appologize for posting this article. Really snowballed eh?

So here's my take:

We are an abysmal 2-4. We lost to BYU and Miami which sucks, but doesn't mean a lot down the stretch. We lost to Illinois which is bewildering and kinda embarassing. We lost to Wisconsin which is infuriating since we were in line to beat them and turn this mess around...plus it's Wisconsin. I completely get the anger around here.

Yet, I still have some hope. Not so much for this season but for moving forward. Some of the posts about our recruiting classes, yikes, really pretty telling. I was of the side daying we had good talent, but when you look at what we let get away/got injured/didn't pan out, it really shows why we aren't putting games away.

Bo couldn't recruit depth. He would get a couple of guys a class that really made things look better than they were, one would typically pan out in a great way. Thats how he got by, he hated the recruiting process. If Riley can finish this years class as strongly as expected we should see an immediate influx of on field success next season.

When we beat Oregon and start they year 5-0 next season, I will buy into this staff. I still won't be shocked to see a bit of shuffling. I gotta think they are really focusing long term. I'm pissy about this season, but I'm willing to give em 2016 to show what they can do.