I Don't Care About Riley's "System" - It will never work!

ajt1970

I have played football, coached football, and watched plenty of football (as I'm sure we all have here) and I can tell you Riley's lameduck pass-happy offense willl not work at Nebraska for bringing NU back to national prominence and national titles. If you're fine with being also-rans and possibly every few years contending for a Big 10 West division title, then maybe, MAYBE Riley could get you that.....but on a national championship level (which is all I really care about, not Big 10 or Division titles) ....Riley's plan won't work. Why do I feel this way? I have stated before my many reasons (just look at prior posts).

I'll add this.....Many here say we have to give RIley time to get his players in and play to his system. I say, no, no, no, absolutely not. 1) Who wants to wait? Patience is a virtue, yes, but not when you've been waiting nearly 20 years already for a national championship and nothing to show for it. To me, 18 years is long enough. 2) Winners WIN. Period. Riley was a mediocre coach at best. Outstanding coaches find a way to win regardless of their circumstances. There are many instances of this in college football history. Hell, you need look no further than Bob Devaney. Won immediately. Look at Harbaugh, Mcelwain, Urban Meyer, etc.. Winners Win. Put Riley as head coach of Ohio State last year and he doesn't even win his division. Winners Win.....losers lose, and mediocre coaches stay mediocre (unless they do a complete overhaul of their so called "system").

And just from a pure selfish reason, I want a coach who knows and can teach/coach an overpowering running game (at least an 80/20 or higher run-pass ratio) because i like the BEAUTY of a running game attack I find more joy in a 5 yard fullback trap or an inside ISO play than I do any kind of pass play. Passing, to me, just represents WUSSY football pure and simple. You aren't dominating anyone with a passing attack. You aren't imposing your will with a passing game. You're playing monkey in the middle, throwing it over the defenders' head instead of RAMMING it down their throats with a running game.

All this to say, I don't care about Riley's system or him getting his players in and needing more time to do so. Throwing the ball all day long is WUSSY football, plain and simple. The offensive line is backpedaling to form a nice cushy pocket for the golden boy QB, who, if forced to run the ball would slide or run out of bounds.....There's no real HITTING going on with a passing play. On running plays - when that ball is snapped the OL fires off the ball and tries to drive the defensive line and LBs into the ground, pancake style! It's aggressive, it's brutal, THAT is what football is meant to be....not this fast break basketball style passing the ball that has continued to infiltrate the football game for the last few decades. I say, get back to the physicalness of the game, the aggressiveness, the running over teams ....because it is the blueprint for success at a place like Nebraska with its limited recruiting areas and plus their homegrown talent and development of big strong linemen to run block for the hard hitting FB and fast I-backs and wingbacks............and leave those pass happy Sissy offenses to schools in Florida and California.

• Fire 3

Ha, yeah if I was head coach you'd better believe I'd have those offensive linemen drive blocking on the sleds and against each other until the cows came home. And QBs would be running the ball, lowering their shoulders and taking hits and GIVING hits thru punishing a would be tackler AND blocking for the I-backs, etc. No Johnny Golden Arm QB is just standing around during practice thinking he's just gonna gunsling the ball around all day long and not be physical.

By the way, fellow Michigander here.

And just from a pure selfish reason, I want a coach who knows and can teach/coach an overpowering running game (at least a 80/20 or higher run-pass ratio) because i like the BEAUTY of a running game attack I find more joy in a 5 yard fullback trap or an inside ISO play than I do any kind of pass play. Passing, to me, just represents WUSSY football pure and simple. You aren't dominating anyone with a passing attack. You aren't imposing your will with a passing game. You're playing monkey in the middle, throwing it over the defenders' head instead of RAMMING it down their throats with a running game.

80/20. lol :LOLtartar

Maybe we should wear leather helmets too.

• Fire 4

And just from a pure selfish reason, I want a coach who knows and can teach/coach an overpowering running game (at least a 80/20 or higher run-pass ratio) because i like the BEAUTY of a running game attack I find more joy in a 5 yard fullback trap or an inside ISO play than I do any kind of pass play. Passing, to me, just represents WUSSY football pure and simple. You aren't dominating anyone with a passing attack. You aren't imposing your will with a passing game. You're playing monkey in the middle, throwing it over the defenders' head instead of RAMMING it down their throats with a running game.

80/20. lol :LOLtartar

Maybe we should wear leather helmets too.

Single Wing football? lol

I really dont' agree with that. There is no right or wrong way to play football nor is there a wimpy way and a strong way.

You can win titles with an Air Raid and you can win titles with a smash mouth attack. Either can be quite effective.

Any system can work if you have the right coaching and the right athletes for the system.

If this 2-4 start is just a hiccup and Riley makes this system work then I'm all for it. If in the end we don't succeed then I blame the coaching for not adapting the system to the athletes we have.

Any system can work in the right conditions.

• Fire 2

Hammerhead - that is not what I said. I said it is my PREFERENCE to run the ball. As far as what style of offense will lead to national titles for Nebraska, I think I have made my opinion very clear. And here's something else....name me a college football team in the history of college football that has won a national championship from a school with inclement weather conditions in October-January that was a pass-happy offense. There aren't too many, if any at all.

Here you go....old school Dr. Tom....no prima donnas......no special treatment for QBs or anyone else......you will be a blocker

And just from a pure selfish reason, I want a coach who knows and can teach/coach an overpowering running game (at least an 80/20 or higher run-pass ratio) because i like the BEAUTY of a running game attack I find more joy in a 5 yard fullback trap or an inside ISO play than I do any kind of pass play. Passing, to me, just represents WUSSY football pure and simple. You aren't dominating anyone with a passing attack. You aren't imposing your will with a passing game. You're playing monkey in the middle, throwing it over the defenders' head instead of RAMMING it down their throats with a running game.

I quit reading after this. You HAVE to be able to throw the ball these days to be able to win games. Too many athletes on the field. Hell look at last year OSU. Obviously they were very good at running the ball but Cardale Jones also kept defenses honest by being able to complete the passes that were called.

There is a reason you don't see Air Force and Georgia Tech competing for National Championships. They might edge out a few teams they aren't supposed to beat and win their division but running the ball that much is just not effective.

I have played football, coached football, and watched plenty of football (as I'm sure we all have here) and I can tell you Riley's lameduck pass-happy offense willl not work at Nebraska for bringing NU back to national prominence and national titles. If you're fine with being also-rans and possibly every few years contending for a Big 10 West division title, then maybe, MAYBE Riley could get you that.....but on a national championship level (which is all I really care about, not Big 10 or Division titles) ....Riley's plan won't work. Why do I feel this way? I have stated before my many reasons (just look at prior posts).

Wow. You will never enjoy the game of football again.

Holy crap if the national championship is your only expectation every year, I feel super sorry for you.

You do realize that no one wins just by RAMMING it down peoples throats. Wisconsin was probably the closest thing, and they lose 2 games a year. At some point you have to be able to throw the football, and throw it EFFECTIVELY.

There is that word again. Effectively. I've used it a thousand times in the past couple weeks and I even heard Coach Riley use it in the pressor yesterday.

MORE RUNNING DOES NOT EQUAL EFFECTIVE RUNNING. Get it through your brains bro.