I Don't Care About Riley's "System" - It will never work!

ajt1970

The point is, you can't win Championships without being good in all phases of the game.

When Nebraska was winning championships they were still able to throw the ball well enough to get the defense to back off. If you are good and running and throwing, but your defense is trash....you don't win championships.

Look at Oregon.

If you are good at just running and nothing else you don't win championships

Look at Georgia Tech

If you are good at throwing the football but nothing else, you don't win championships

Look at Washington State

If you are only great on defense and nothing else, you don't win championships

Look at Nebraska 2009, Northwestern 2015, and probably Michigan 2015

When you are great and rushing, passing, and defense.....YOU HAVE A SHOT AT WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Look at OSU 2015, Look at Bama under Saban, USC 2004, Texas 2005, Florida 2008, etc

• Fire 2

Look at the BIG Conference. You have to run the ball to win the title. Every team that won the title runs the ball first and has a efficent passing game. Like it or not you have to be the conference champion to get to the national championship game. It comes down to the weather in the mid-west. You can't throw the ball in 40 plus mph wind and rain. We have all ready seen the last two games why the pass happy WCO does not work in the BIG. I agree with the OP the winning coaches know how to win. Look at the 3 and 7 play, the lack of time management and the play calling all year. Good football coaches play to the strength of the players in the system. If MR wants to install his WCO does he not need the players to do so. Were we not told the team was going to play to the strength of the team. This all sounds like the same thing we hear from are leaders in Washington DC.

The point is, you can't win Championships without being good in all phases of the game.

When Nebraska was winning championships they were still able to throw the ball well enough to get the defense to back off. If you are good and running and throwing, but your defense is trash....you don't win championships.

Look at Oregon.

If you are good at just running and nothing else you don't win championships

Look at Georgia Tech

If you are good at throwing the football but nothing else, you don't win championships

Look at Washington State

If you are only great on defense and nothing else, you don't win championships

Look at Nebraska 2009, Northwestern 2015, and probably Michigan 2015

When you are great and rushing, passing, and defense.....YOU HAVE A SHOT AT WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Look at OSU 2015, Look at Bama under Saban, USC 2004, Texas 2005, Florida 2008, etc

^^This. x1000. +1

Why does everyone only point to our offense of the mid 90s? Sure, it was a great offense. But our Blackshirt defenses were great too. Our defense from back then might have better than the offenses, in their own right. The Blackshirt defenses of the mid 90s had as much to do with that era of dominance as Tommie and the offense did.

• Fire 1

You have to admit that this staff has already shown an unwillingness to call an offensive strategy conducive to the weather. See Illinois. Our rough start is very par for the course for Oregon State football. This is what has many fans nervous. I thought Riley was a poor hire from the start, but I hope I am proven wrong starting with our next game. Those who keep preaching to be patient should also keep in mind several losses can be pinned squarely on the staff and not the players. In my opinion the players have been performing great for the most part, in spite of the handicap that the coaching staff places on them.

• Fire 1

I have played football, coached football, and watched plenty of football (as I'm sure we all have here) and I can tell you Riley's lameduck pass-happy offense willl not work at Nebraska for bringing NU back to national prominence and national titles. If you're fine with being also-rans and possibly every few years contending for a Big 10 West division title, then maybe, MAYBE Riley could get you that.....but on a national championship level (which is all I really care about, not Big 10 or Division titles) ....Riley's plan won't work. Why do I feel this way? I have stated before my many reasons (just look at prior posts).

I'll add this.....Many here say we have to give RIley time to get his players in and play to his system. I say, no, no, no, absolutely not. 1) Who wants to wait? Patience is a virtue, yes, but not when you've been waiting nearly 20 years already for a national championship and nothing to show for it. To me, 18 years is long enough. 2) Winners WIN. Period. Riley was a mediocre coach at best. Outstanding coaches find a way to win regardless of their circumstances. There are many instances of this in college football history. Hell, you need look no further than Bob Devaney. Won immediately. Look at Harbaugh, Mcelwain, Urban Meyer, etc.. Winners Win. Put Riley as head coach of Ohio State last year and he doesn't even win his division. Winners Win.....losers lose, and mediocre coaches stay mediocre (unless they do a complete overhaul of their so called "system").

And just from a pure selfish reason, I want a coach who knows and can teach/coach an overpowering running game (at least an 80/20 or higher run-pass ratio) because i like the BEAUTY of a running game attack I find more joy in a 5 yard fullback trap or an inside ISO play than I do any kind of pass play. Passing, to me, just represents WUSSY football pure and simple. You aren't dominating anyone with a passing attack. You aren't imposing your will with a passing game. You're playing monkey in the middle, throwing it over the defenders' head instead of RAMMING it down their throats with a running game.

All this to say, I don't care about Riley's system or him getting his players in and needing more time to do so. Throwing the ball all day long is WUSSY football, plain and simple. The offensive line is backpedaling to form a nice cushy pocket for the golden boy QB, who, if forced to run the ball would slide or run out of bounds.....There's no real HITTING going on with a passing play. On running plays - when that ball is snapped the OL fires off the ball and tries to drive the defensive line and LBs into the ground, pancake style! It's aggressive, it's brutal, THAT is what football is meant to be....not this fast break basketball style passing the ball that has continued to infiltrate the football game for the last few decades. I say, get back to the physicalness of the game, the aggressiveness, the running over teams ....because it is the blueprint for success at a place like Nebraska with its limited recruiting areas and plus their homegrown talent and development of big strong linemen to run block for the hard hitting FB and fast I-backs and wingbacks............and leave those pass happy Sissy offenses to schools in Florida and California.

Oh. I stopped reading aftger I saw you played and coached football. I am now going to delete all my posts about my thought that Riley is going to be good for us. You must be Jon Gruden or something. #AJTKNOWSNEBRASKA

I wonder what Kansas thought about Baylors will when they went up 40+ points on them in the first half? Wussies? Successfully throwing the ball benefits the run game and vice versa. This isn't rocket science. I think it's safe to say Baylor imposed their will all over Kansas' face. And they got a little in their belly button, and some in their eye. And there was even enough will that some got in their hair too.

• Fire 1

I wonder what Kansas thought about Baylors will when they went up 40+ points on them in the first half? Wussies? Successfully throwing the ball benefits the run game and vice versa. This isn't rocket science. I think it's safe to say Baylor imposed their will all over Kansas' face. And they got a little in their belly button, and some in their eye. And there was even enough will that some got in their hair too.

Gross.

You have to admit that this staff has already shown an unwillingness to call an offensive strategy conducive to the weather. See Illinois. Our rough start is very par for the course for Oregon State football. This is what has many fans nervous. I thought Riley was a poor hire from the start, but I hope I am proven wrong starting with our next game. Those who keep preaching to be patient should also keep in mind several losses can be pinned squarely on the staff and not the players. In my opinion the players have been performing great for the most part, in spite of the handicap that the coaching staff places on them.

I will give you illinois, but none of the others.

Just becuz players misfire and don't execute, doesn't mean coaching is horrible.

Both side are still learning about the other. They haven't even been together a full 12 months yet. Gawd.

VcHnnOC.png