I Don't Care About Riley's "System" - It will never work!

ajt1970

Here's Nebraska's run/pass ratio so far this season.

It's not like we've gone nuts. We're also averaging about 15 more plays a game over last year.

R/P

37/41

37/38

32/45

39/35

45/32

37/28

Really? We're running more plays this year? With a huddle offense? That seems odd.

Yeah, pretty sure that's not right. Although it's closer than I expected.

Last year we ran 946 plays in 13 games which is 72.7 plays per game.

This year we've run 434 plays in 6 games which is 72.3. I would have guess about 10 fewer.

Perhaps that's the absence of the big play. Two (other) things:

- last year's offense was no huddle, not up tempo. I don't recall them being especially fast about it, but it still keeps the defense from making substitutions. A lot of looking back at the sidelines for those cardboard pieces.

- this year we see them trying to make sustained drives working off quick hitter passes. A lot of screens, etc.

I would expect this year's offense to produce more plays per game when it's humming, but going through spells of 20% passing or less kills that.

It's not like we've gone nuts. We're also averaging about 15 more plays a game over last year.

R/P

37/41 - 34/44 adjusting for sacks

37/38

32/45 - 30/47

39/35 - 38/36

45/32 - 33/32, not sure where the 45 came from

37/28

So we're at 209 run plays called and 225 pass plays called. Plus I would guess there's probably 10-15 scrambles by TA - called passes - so it's probably closer to 200/235 which is 54% passing.

Just for fun, let's look at the splits in the first three quarters. That is, before it gets late and we are either forced to pass (Miami) or running to "try" to protect the lead.

R/P

18/34

16/36

25/24

20/22

18/23

19/36

So, when they're more "free" to call what they want, it's 116 runs and 175 passes. And - without looking - I'd guess most of the seven sacks have been in the first three quarters. Call it six and say it's 110/181 which is 62% passing. Adjusting for scrambles and Langsdorf is probably calling pass plays about 65% of the time in the first three quarters.

In college football, the stats are always skewed toward showing teams with more rushing attempts than they actually call. So you have to do a little more work to get a true look at what they're wanting to do.

- last year's offense was no huddle, not up tempo. I don't recall them being especially fast about it, but it still keeps the defense from making substitutions. A lot of looking back at the sidelines for those cardboard pieces.

- this year we see them trying to make sustained drives working off quick hitter passes. A lot of screens, etc.

I would expect this year's offense to produce more plays per game when it's humming, but going through spells of 20% passing or less kills that.

Definitely agree on this. We were not an up-tempo offense... at least not most of the time. We got to the line quickly but didn't necessarily snap it that fast.

I thought there would be a little more of a discrepancy just based on offensive production. Seems like we've given the ball back faster this year but apparently not.

Maybe Riley and crew are watching Stanford tonight and seeing just how well an offense can look with a commitment to the run game. Completely wearing down UCLA in just the first half....

a) We don't have the OL that Stanford does

b) We don't have anyone as dynamic as Christian McCaffrey in our backfield

So you'd like Paul johnson here, who is 2-4 yet complaining about Riley who is 2-4?

If you put Paul Johnson and Mike Riley's resumes side by side, you'll clearly see which one you'd be less worried about being 2-4.

Then again, Paul Johnson is 2 - 4 with a team that was ranked #8 last season. In a well established system he recruited for.

And his margins of defeats have been greater.

Why do you insist on making excuses for Paul Johnson?

There was nothing in my post about an excuse. It was about a resume comparison.

And between Johnson and Riley, it's not a close comparison.

I don't know. Johnson has a better record, but it's not some over the top difference. I really think Paul Johnson falls into the middle of the pack of most coaches.

R/P

37/41

37/38

32/45

39/35

45/32

37/28

Really? We're running more plays this year? With a huddle offense? That seems odd.

Yeah, pretty sure that's not right. Although it's closer than I expected.

Last year we ran 946 plays in 13 games which is 72.7 plays per game.

This year we've run 434 plays in 6 games which is 72.3. I would have guess about 10 fewer.

Yeah, I didn't grab that off the aggregate myself. When I wanted to know why the USC game seemed so different, I went back game by game:

Offensive plays:

USC/Holiday Bowl: 94

Iowa (including OT): 59

Minnesota: 58

Wisconsin: 64

Purdue: 72

Rutgers 63

Northwestern: 74

Michigan State: 82

Miami 67

Fresno State 66

McNeese State 64

Fl Atlantic 92

This year, at best, we've been running 15 more plays a game than last year. At worst, we're about the same. Sample size remains incomplete.

Not a lot to learn from this, I just decided. The 67 plays against Miami last year clearly preferable to the 82 against Michigan State. Or the 75 plays against Miami this year.

But the sudden shift in huddling and playcalling between Iowa and USC last year remains an eye-opener.

I always thought the up-tempo offense was a joke. It seemed like they were always standing around waiting to get the play call.

I always thought the up-tempo offense was a joke. It seemed like they were always standing around waiting to get the play call.

getting to the line quickly only prevents substitutions, Oregon was best at it, they truly played fast pace football.

I saw the Chip Kelly Oregon play Cal in person a few years ago.

Cal stops Oregon at the Oregon 37 on the first drive of the game, setting up 4th and 3. Cal fans cheer.

Oregon trots out without its punter, runs a quick outlet pass, gets the first down.

Keeps marching. Scores a touchdown. Goes for the 2 point conversion and leads 8 - 0 after the first possession of the game.

I was rooting for Cal but kinda fell in love with Chip Kelly that day.

I really dont' agree with that. There is no right or wrong way to play football nor is there a wimpy way and a strong way.

You can win titles with an Air Raid and you can win titles with a smash mouth attack. Either can be quite effective.

Any system can work if you have the right coaching and the right athletes for the system.

If this 2-4 start is just a hiccup and Riley makes this system work then I'm all for it. If in the end we don't succeed then I blame the coaching for not adapting the system to the athletes we have.

Any system can work in the right conditions.

Your all for being 2-4? Why is it ok to through away a season? The kids don't deserve that at all

Where does anyone suggest they are "for" being 2-4?

People are suggesting that they are ok with being 2-4, because they believe somehow it will make us better. I don't care if you win all your games one year, the next year if you 2-4 that is not ok. He needs to win now, next year is next year, or years after. He needs to beat Minn, that is the most important game. Harping about what could happen is not what this is about. It is about the 2015 season and how it needs to turn around now.