LB David Reese [Florida - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Other than the 15 we have already. Yeah. I can't believe they don't get everybody.

It's actually a good thing that he has this ceremony and one of the hats is Nebraska. You don't get everyone, but would you rather be a school whose hat is never on the table with big recruits, or one that often seems to be in the game? Which one has a better effect on other recruits?

The ole moral victories train of thought.

Other than the 15 we have already. Yeah. I can't believe they don't get everybody.

It's actually a good thing that he has this ceremony and one of the hats is Nebraska. You don't get everyone, but would you rather be a school whose hat is never on the table with big recruits, or one that often seems to be in the game? Which one has a better effect on other recruits?

Umm...being close all the time is not a good thing, whether it's in recruiting battles or on the field. I assume you are also excited that we were close in many games despite losing 7 games (including 6 before November for the first time in NU history).

There certainly is still time for Riley and staff to make up ground, but they have swung and whiffed a lot lately. We were told 2 things about Riley:

1. That he can get more out of talent than other coaches. I think we already know this is not true given what we saw this past season.

2. That he can recruit better than most coaches, especially given NU's tradition and facilities and budget. For Riley to meet my expectations this recruiting season, he needs to finish around 20th in the recruiting rankings. Anything below the 25 is falling below my expectations. If he can get in the top 15 that would exceed my expectations. I realize we are still hopeful for Butler and Fitzpatrick and a few other guys, but I don't even know if there additions are enough to get us to a top 20 recruiting class.

Formal Announcements, ... press conferences, .... hat ceremonies, .... I really dislike it when a recruit makes a big show out of their decision. Even if he were to choose Nebraska I would dislike the method. Do you really need a podium and microphone on a stage? Pretty narcissistic.

I realize that it has been this way for the top recruits for some time, but I'm sick of it. They have every right to mull over the decision, and take advantage of all the OV, but making a show out of the decision is unnecessary, IMO.

This is almost NEVER the kids idea...it is almost always the high schools idea...it is a big big big deal to get a full ride to any school...these kids worked their asses off and this is a celebration for them, family, coaches and school.

You ever been to a graduation party? A party for a friend that got a great new job? This is what it is like..

• Fire 1

He will commit to Nebraska. Him and his parents both know he will excell in the B10. Mom loves coach Riley. He has a great bond with Bray. We got him mark it down

AND hes in love with our business dept which has a great relationship with him too. 100% nebraska

I don't know where the hell you guys are getting your info ... this kid is 100% :bigredn: !! BOOK IT!

You guys are right. I should be aghast and furious that Nebraska lost out on a linebacker that had already been widely expected to go elsewhere on this board.

Of course it would've been great to get him. That goes without saying. But he's not the first, nor will he be the last high profile recruit Nebraska gets close to and loses.

That's how recruiting works. You offer a lot of players. You have a chance with a percentage of them. You're a real contender for a percentage of those. And then you actually manage to sign a percentage of those, not to exceed the low-to-mid 20s or so allotted spaces.

• Fire 1

You guys are right. I should be aghast and furious that Nebraska lost out on a linebacker that had already been widely expected to go elsewhere on this board.

Of course it would've been great to get him. That goes without saying. But he's not the first, nor will he be the last high profile recruit Nebraska gets close to and loses.

That's how recruiting works. You offer a lot of players. You have a chance with a percentage of them. You're a real contender for a percentage of those. And then you actually manage to sign a percentage of those, not to exceed the low-to-mid 20s or so allotted spaces.

I think we all understand how the recruiting process works. The other posters are right though, when you have a lousy season, it's hard to win many of the battles when you have made the final two or three. Winning recruiting battles now is what helps win games on the football field. Your point is valid if we are able to find other 4-star talent to replace Reece and Chandler. If we are replacing them with less-talented guys, we will end up in the same situation that Pelini's staff was usually in. Settling for whoever is left just to meet a number.

I don't think recruiting is that strongly correlated to season performance, though. A large part of it is the ability of the staff to recruit. And I agree it's an unsettled question right now. But we'll know more as we see them get a few full cycles under their belts.

I think perceptions here are just based in overreaction. I don't like the idea of settling for whoever is left, and I did feel Pelini did that. However, every year, we're going to come close to and lose out on a lot of players. Similarly, we're going to close the deal with many as well, including a lot of players coveted by the staff.

The recruiting operations looks pretty solid to me. The results are going to need to catch up to that eventually, however.

• Fire 1

I don't think recruiting is that strongly correlated to season performance, though. A large part of it is the ability of the staff to recruit. And I agree it's an unsettled question right now. But we'll know more as we see them get a few full cycles under their belts.

I think perceptions here are just based in overreaction. I don't like the idea of settling for whoever is left, and I did feel Pelini did that. However, every year, we're going to come close to and lose out on a lot of players. Similarly, we're going to close the deal with many as well, including a lot of players coveted by the staff.

The recruiting operations looks pretty solid to me. The results are going to need to catch up to that eventually, however.

I do think there is some overreaction, but there is an equal amount of blind optimism through scarlet colored glasses. Overreaction comes from many years of mediocre recruiting, which is one reason we switched staff's...however we are seeing same results. Commitments (results), will stop the overreaction...but they aren't happening.

And why should we have to wait a few cycles to see how they do? Some of the biggest recruiting momentum possible is when fresh coaches are brought in. Florida, Houston, Michigan aren't waiting a few cycles.

• Fire 1

I really don't think this staff is that similar to the last one in terms of how they manage the roster, or run recruiting.

Are we going to get Top 10 classes every year? Unlikely. Approaching top 15? Maybe. Until then, all I'm seeing is worry. Three days ago there was none of this immediate panic. No "If he doesn't commit to Nebraska, that means things are terrible." Just "Yeah, mark him down for Texas". So, it was Florida. Oh well. Onto the next one.

• Fire 1

I really don't think this staff is that similar to the last one in terms of how they manage the roster, or run recruiting.

Are we going to get Top 10 classes every year? Unlikely. Approaching top 15? Maybe. Until then, all I'm seeing is worry. Three days ago there was none of this immediate panic. No "If he doesn't commit to Nebraska, that means things are terrible." Just "Yeah, mark him down for Texas". So, it was Florida. Oh well. Onto the next one.

Everyone on this board will be more than thrilled if we come close to a top 15 class. Right now we are more on pace for 25-30. That's what leads to disappointment.

Most of the big time recruits we are going after now are not announcing until Jan/Feb, so I bet we close on some really good guys, Also on signing day usually get one or two surprise commits and maybe one or two guys that sign elsewhere, it's all part of recruiting.

• Fire 1