Best Position Coaches? (opinion poll)

Best Position coaches (opinion poll)  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realize that we are not there in practice, so trying to know the difference between talent/ coaching skill/ scheme/ schedule is about as easy as diagnosing back pain.

However, many of us have opinions on the subject anyway. And isn't that what a message board is all about? --- jumping to conclusions and overreacting about opinions and conjecture?

Personally, I have been very impressed with the improvement I have seen in the QB, WR and LB groups. I think we may have to increase Williams and Bray's salaries if they get other job offers.

Edit: removed "worst coach" parr

• Fire 1

I was listening to McKewon/Nyatawa OWH podcast last night on the rower. Sam gave big props to Hughes for having the DL playing at the level they are with the limited resources they currently have (little depth, no edge rusher).

Agreed. Think he's the diamond in the rough that's being overlooked in all of this mess, IMO.

And I don't think it's JUST Brian Stewart that's failing our DBs--I think our scheme and soft coverage decisions are hurting them almost as much as the ineffective coaching, which is why I wouldn't mind a change at DC along with our DB coach at the end of the season.

• Fire 1

I also look at it from a recruiting point of view. And IMO, there are some bad recruiters on staff.

Bad recruiters? Or guys that just plain aren't recruiting? There's a difference.

For the people that are willing to label a position coach as the best or worst on the staff at this point, I think it would be more than fair for you to say what it is you think they do so well and what the "worst" position coach does so poorly.

I see Saunders has already labeled Stewart, the secondary coach, as the worst. What technical aspects is he so poor at coaching? What are you seeing specifically in the defensive backfield that makes you feel like Stewart is not a qualified coach? Just curious is all.

You've labeled Bray as the best position coach and I agree, the linebackers are playing very well. Two things though, tackling is an improved aspect throughout this team no doubt, not just at linebacker. Do you think the scheme puts the players in a better position to make plays and make tackles? Do you believe the linebackers have been put in a more challenging spot in this defense, or do you see the challenges the defensive backs face as more difficult?

Just curious of your thoughts, and anyone else's for that matter, as far as how you've come to a conclusion on who is good or bad at this point.

Pretty hard to evaluate these guys this early on. They've hardly made their mark on the program yet.

Fair point. Maybe this poll was a little premature. I guess I was more just curious of people's opinions on the subject.

Knowing that Hughes may be a little underrated by the average fan is something I learned. Also it is interesting that Cav got some votes both ways.

Really this is more a reflection of how good we perceive each position's performance. Right or wrong.

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have included the "worst" half. Is that easy for me or a mod to remove?

Also, I hope we are able to keep Williams on staff. He doesn't have ties to the staff, and in the past he turned down L. Kiffen and USC because he felt he wasn't going to be compensated fairly IIRC

Initial reaction without reading the responses, clearly to me DL has done an incredible job with TA. Going into this season I was a few throws away from never wanting to see Tommy on the field again. And in the beginning I had high hope for his potential (freshman/soph year). TA has made some poor decisions at times, but those have been on him unfortunately. He is the one who decides to be wise or gutsy. Outside of those that you'd like to have back, Tommy has really done a great job this year. Never could have imagined that. I don't think I could have been as patient this year if TA didn't improve his play. So I have to say DL as top position coach. Just keep the wind away and we should be alright most of the time.

#2 is Trent Bray. He's working with a piece meal group at Linebacker. There isn't much depth. The returning starters have had injuries. And we've seen a true freshman and walkon out there competing play after play, regardless of the opponent. Yet we see teams struggling against the run. How is that possible?? Linebackers need to stop the run as priority #1. And they are doing it every week. Both of them - whoever they go with (rarely do I see a true 4-3 out there that much).

• Fire 1

I also look at it from a recruiting point of view. And IMO, there are some bad recruiters on staff.

Bad recruiters? Or guys that just plain aren't recruiting? There's a difference.

For the people that are willing to label a position coach as the best or worst on the staff at this point, I think it would be more than fair for you to say what it is you think they do so well and what the "worst" position coach does so poorly.

I see Saunders has already labeled Stewart, the secondary coach, as the worst. What technical aspects is he so poor at coaching? What are you seeing specifically in the defensive backfield that makes you feel like Stewart is not a qualified coach? Just curious is all.

You've labeled Bray as the best position coach and I agree, the linebackers are playing very well. Two things though, tackling is an improved aspect throughout this team no doubt, not just at linebacker. Do you think the scheme puts the players in a better position to make plays and make tackles? Do you believe the linebackers have been put in a more challenging spot in this defense, or do you see the challenges the defensive backs face as more difficult?

Just curious of your thoughts, and anyone else's for that matter, as far as how you've come to a conclusion on who is good or bad at this point.

Bray because he's our best recruiter... And the LB's have played well, regardless if it's because of reason A, B, or whatever. They've done their job thus far so props to Bray.

Also, I'm not sure what's worse. A coach who is a bad recruiter or one who doesn't recruit. Well either way no point keeping that guy around... IMO.