Grant Wistrom = Best NU defender ever?

Suh became a legend by the end of his senior season. Imagine if Suh played next to Wistrom and the 90's dynasty. NU probably wins:

94 NC

95 NC

96 NC - 19-0 erased and we beat Tex@$$

97 NC

Then everyone would be in agreement that Suh is the greatest Cornhusker of all-time but he is not. He is arguably one of the best defenders. You can throw in a lot of names: Rich Glover, Grant Wistrom, Barrett Ruud, Terrell Farley, Lavonte David, Trev Alberts, etc. The one thing they all have in common is at one point during their respective era's, they were dominant players.

Suh had the most dominant single season ever and he'd get my vote, but it's hard to argue against Wistrom when you're looking at the entire body of work so I can see how some people might choose him. And as someone else stated, Terrell Farley had a ceiling as high as the heavens but was never able to reach his full potential due to off-the-field issues.

I was listening to Sharp and Benning last week and they had Clester Johnson on and Sharp had asked them, "Of all the players you guys have played with, who was the one guy that just made the team instantly better." They both said Farley was by far. They said that anytime he was on the field, he would just make everyone around him better and that his presence was unbelievable. They would talk about how the defense would be backed up against the wall and Farley would tell the guys, " Don't worry, I got this" and he would go out and make a great play.

They mentioned that it really bothered Osborne when he had to suspend Farley.

Suh had the most dominant single season ever and he'd get my vote, but it's hard to argue against Wistrom when you're looking at the entire body of work so I can see how some people might choose him. And as someone else stated, Terrell Farley had a ceiling as high as the heavens but was never able to reach his full potential due to off-the-field issues.

I was listening to Sharp and Benning last week and they had Clester Johnson on and Sharp had asked them, "Of all the players you guys have played with, who was the one guy that just made the team instantly better." They both said Farley was by far. They said that anytime he was on the field, he would just make everyone around him better and that his presence was unbelievable. They would talk about how the defense would be backed up against the wall and Farley would tell the guys, " Don't worry, I got this" and he would go out and make a great play.

We beat Texas in 1996 if Farley is playing, and then we go on to win the MNC.

With the criteria Peter listed as far as overall impact its Wistrom no doubt. Im pretty sure JP even surrendered that Suh had the best single season. But i see where Peters going. Theres so much more to o

It than numbers and stats and awards. Wistrom was the figurehead of what is probably the best culture of any college sports team ever. So its hard for me to disagree with this take. Wistrom was a leader with less flashy numbers of a team that won the national title 3 of his four years. Suh had a ridiculously incredible year where his team couldnt even win the conference.

Benning was taking with Peter today on his radio show. They both were laughing at how TO would get mad at Farley for not covering a guy in the flat on the weak side. Farley would just answer "but coach, the ball was going the other way, I'm going where the ball was". I have a feeling there are a lot of "Farley being Farley" stories.

With the criteria Peter listed as far as overall impact its Wistrom no doubt. Im pretty sure JP even surrendered that Suh had the best single season. But i see where Peters going. Theres so much more to o

It than numbers and stats and awards. Wistrom was the figurehead of what is probably the best culture of any college sports team ever. So its hard for me to disagree with this take. Wistrom was a leader with less flashy numbers of a team that won the national title 3 of his four years. Suh had a ridiculously incredible year where his team couldnt even win the conference.

It is a pity that we didn't beat Texas that year. The team deserved it. It took a string of errors to give the game away; a kick out of bounds, a personal foul, and a controversial second.

Suh was easily our best. A Heisman trophy finalist. He won the Outland, Lombardi Award and the Bronco Nagurski trophies. He threw people around like rag dolls.

Simply put he was the most dominant player in Nebraska football history.

1. Suh

2. Rich Glover (Finished 3rd in the 1972 Heisman trophy balloting)

3. Grant Wistrom

4. Trev Alberts

5. Neil Smith

6. Broderick Thomas

7. Jason Peter

8. Mike Brown

9. Larry Jacobson

10.Mike Minter

Wasn't alive for Glover but have gone over his stats and he was a one man wrecking crew against OU in the game of the century. I mean unbelievable, something like 22 tackles. Watched Wistrom NU's run in the 90s and it was a special time. That D was all around nasty and loaded with talent/heart. Watching the NC game against Florida still gives me chills; that game was the statement for a defense on a mission. At the end of the day I have to go with Suh. If you put him on either Glover's teams in the 70's or Wistrom's teams in the 90's, wow he would have been unstoppable. Not to mention he would have benefited from having those coaching staffs. Imagine McBride coaching Suh...Tenopir would have had no answer. Never saw Glover or Wistrom intercept a pass, stiff arm the guy who threw it (the opposing coaches son no less), trample him and run it in for a TD:

Benning was taking with Peter today on his radio show. They both were laughing at how TO would get mad at Farley for not covering a guy in the flat on the weak side. Farley would just answer "but coach, the ball was going the other way, I'm going where the ball was". I have a feeling there are a lot of "Farley being Farley" stories.
I bet theres a lot of David bein David, and Suh bein Suh stories as well.

Something to think about was the ability of Wistrom to get on the field early in his career. Nebraska was so stacked at that time, that many great players didn't even start until their senior year. Steve Warren only started two games before he was a senior, and another of my all time favorites on defense, Kenny Walker, only started in the dime until his senior year when he was an all american. In 1990, TO said Walker was the best pass rusher in CFB. Some of his senior year accomplishments.

• 1990 All-American (AP, Football Writers, Sporting News, Football News)
  • 1990 Big 8 Defensive Player-of-the-Year (UPI)
  • 1990 Outland Trohpy Semifinalist
  • 1990 Second-Team All-American (UPI)
  • 1990 All-Big 8 (AP, UPI, Big Eight Coaches)
  • 1990 Phillips 66 Academic All-Big Eight

Walker was deaf as a result of a fever when he was to years old. I remember the crowd signing applause at the last game of the year of his senior season. Awesome display.

Wasn't alive for Glover but have gone over his stats and he was a one man wrecking crew against OU in the game of the century. I mean unbelievable, something like 22 tackles. Watched Wistrom NU's run in the 90s and it was a special time. That D was all around nasty and loaded with talent/heart. Watching the NC game against Florida still gives me chills; that game was the statement for a defense on a mission. At the end of the day I have to go with Suh. If you put him on either Glover's teams in the 70's or Wistrom's teams in the 90's, wow he would have been unstoppable. Not to mention he would have benefited from having those coaching staffs. Imagine McBride coaching Suh...Tenopir would have had no answer. Never saw Glover or Wistrom intercept a pass, stiff arm the guy who threw it (the opposing coaches son no less), trample him and run it in for a TD:

That video displays the proper way to deal with the opposition offense when the game is close and there isn't much time on the clock.

Something to think about was the ability of Wistrom to get on the field early in his career. Nebraska was so stacked at that time, that many great players didn't even start until their senior year. Steve Warren only started two games before he was a senior, and another of my all time favorites on defense, Kenny Walker, only started in the dime until his senior year when he was an all american. In 1990, TO said Walker was the best pass rusher in CFB. Some of his senior year accomplishments.

• 1990 All-American (AP, Football Writers, Sporting News, Football News)
  • 1990 Big 8 Defensive Player-of-the-Year (UPI)
  • 1990 Outland Trohpy Semifinalist
  • 1990 Second-Team All-American (UPI)
  • 1990 All-Big 8 (AP, UPI, Big Eight Coaches)
  • 1990 Phillips 66 Academic All-Big Eight
Walker was deaf as a result of a fever when he was to years old. I remember the crowd signing applause at the last game of the year of his senior season. Awesome display.
I sat in my parents seats for Kenny Walker's senior day. The whole crowd waving our hands by our heads was so cool to see.