Enhance

That's what happens when you try to run into a brick wall.......for the 1,000th time Northwestern's weakness on defense was outside runs. Everyone knew that. Our strength in the running game is outside runs. But instead of trying to do something that is so incredibly simple our staff decides, "Ya know what...let's run Newby up the gut on basically every run play." Surprisingly running it up the middle a million times didn't work, especially since that's been our weakness this entire season. I thought it couldn't get worse than Shawn Watson or Tim Beck, but dear lord Langsdorf has called some of the worst games in Husker history.

Sometimes he looks really bad and sometimes he looks really good. I'd be honest and lay blame on him if it were his fault we lost this game. But it's not. Plenty of other issues in this one.

Crazy how an offense can possess the ball 18 minutes more than another offense and still lose the game though. The Cornhuskers have to be one of the most baffling teams I've ever watched. The ways we have found to lose football games, not just this year, but for quite a few years now, it's truly strane stuff. It's never just "one thing" either. It seems we find a new way all the time.

When you see it with one coaching staff you could directly relate it to the staff, but a whole new staff and we still have the same kind of dumb stuff creeping up. I think we've got some sort of unexplainable lack of football smarts in this team. We just seem to really do some dumb sh#t and we do it at the worst times. It's become a common theme and it's effected every aspect of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, penalities, decison making and situational understanding. You still see a lot of players half assing it out there too. I literally watched Banderas quit on a few plays in the first half before I went on to doing more important sh#t. I mean, the guy just quit playing right in the middle of a play? I'm like.....WTF?

I can't allow myself to get to beat up about this stuff anymore. I can't lay it all on the coaches either and maybe I shouldn't have with Bo. We will either find a way to inspire kids to want to do better, or these things will continue.

Accountability still seems to be an issue and for me it always will be a problem regardless of the staff. I said it about Bo and I'll say it about Riley if he refuses to make some changes. When the same guys make the same mistakes over and over, or the same players show the same lack of effort day after day, and nobody does anything about it, then it tells you your coaching staff and the core of your football team is weak. Now maybe Riley needs some time to establish a level of accountability in the program and it may be too early to expect it from a bunch of players that are not "his", but my God man, at some point you've got to start looking toward the future and stop letting the same people kill what you're trying to build.

Unless of course he doesn't see any issues in this aspect and if that's the case, it's unfortunate for Husker football. Stop f'ing around and start at the heart of the problem.

Overall good post. The bold part is a good point. Over the last couple of years I wasn't a Bo guy anymore. However, after watching the games this year it definitely seems like the problem is deeper than either coaching staff. Perhaps, I shouldn't always blame the coaches including Bo as well.

The team has been soft in the past and is still soft. Apparently, Bo's "us against the world" mentality was good enough to inspire our guys just enough to beat teams like Illinois- the games we have inexplicably lost this year. These couple of crap games that we won in the past due to this mentality are the only real difference between last year and this year. It's still the same uninspired, mistake-laden football as in the past. Our record is different, but the games still look the same- the few games when our guys play to their actual potential, they look pretty stinkin' good (Miami 14, Minny 15), but this is rarely the case.

The big difference between '95 and now (beyond the running vs. passing debate which has been beat to death on this board) is the accountability. You weren't going to take a play off like some of the kids do now. You didn't want to let your teammates down, and besides, they weren't going to stand for that crap anyway.

As a last point- definitely agree with the football smarts idea. I swear it's like some of the kids have no idea how the game of football works when it comes to decision making. They almost need a class or something. Heck, maybe even just watching more actual football games would help.

• Fire 2

Sometimes he looks really bad and sometimes he looks really good. I'd be honest and lay blame on him if it were his fault we lost this game. But it's not. Plenty of other issues in this one.

Crazy how an offense can possess the ball 18 minutes more than another offense and still lose the game though. The Cornhuskers have to be one of the most baffling teams I've ever watched. The ways we have found to lose football games, not just this year, but for quite a few years now, it's truly strane stuff. It's never just "one thing" either. It seems we find a new way all the time.

When you see it with one coaching staff you could directly relate it to the staff, but a whole new staff and we still have the same kind of dumb stuff creeping up. I think we've got some sort of unexplainable lack of football smarts in this team. We just seem to really do some dumb sh#t and we do it at the worst times. It's become a common theme and it's effected every aspect of the game. Offense, defense, special teams, penalities, decison making and situational understanding. You still see a lot of players half assing it out there too. I literally watched Banderas quit on a few plays in the first half before I went on to doing more important sh#t. I mean, the guy just quit playing right in the middle of a play? I'm like.....WTF?

I can't allow myself to get to beat up about this stuff anymore. I can't lay it all on the coaches either and maybe I shouldn't have with Bo. We will either find a way to inspire kids to want to do better, or these things will continue.

Accountability still seems to be an issue and for me it always will be a problem regardless of the staff. I said it about Bo and I'll say it about Riley if he refuses to make some changes. When the same guys make the same mistakes over and over, or the same players show the same lack of effort day after day, and nobody does anything about it, then it tells you your coaching staff and the core of your football team is weak. Now maybe Riley needs some time to establish a level of accountability in the program and it may be too early to expect it from a bunch of players that are not "his", but my God man, at some point you've got to start looking toward the future and stop letting the same people kill what you're trying to build.

Unless of course he doesn't see any issues in this aspect and if that's the case, it's unfortunate for Husker football. Stop f'ing around and start at the heart of the problem.

Overall good post. The bold part is a good point. Over the last couple of years I wasn't a Bo guy anymore. However, after watching the games this year it definitely seems like the problem is deeper than either coaching staff. Perhaps, I shouldn't always blame the coaches including Bo as well.

The team has been soft in the past and is still soft. Apparently, Bo's "us against the world" mentality was good enough to inspire our guys just enough to beat teams like Illinois- the games we have inexplicably lost this year. These couple of crap games that we won in the past due to this mentality are the only real difference between last year and this year. It's still the same uninspired, mistake-laden football as in the past. Our record is different, but the games still look the same- the few games when our guys play to their actual potential, they look pretty stinkin' good (Miami 14, Minny 15), but this is rarely the case.

The big difference between '95 and now (beyond the running vs. passing debate which has been beat to death on this board) is the accountability. You weren't going to take a play off like some of the kids do now. You didn't want to let your teammates down, and besides, they weren't going to stand for that crap anyway.

As a last point- definitely agree with the football smarts idea. I swear it's like some of the kids have no idea how the game of football works when it comes to decision making. They almost need a class or something. Heck, maybe even just watching more actual football games would help.

You may well be on to something here with the questions about whether the players today really understand the game. Perhaps they have played too many video games. I really feel like today's young people are substantially different that a generation ago. The world has changed and growing up in it has changed as well. Kids don't have the work ethic and the drive and the desire to sacrifice for the future in my opinion. I find far too many 'play the game' and the minute the final seconds tick off, they celebrate or scratch their heads briefly wondering why not, then off to their next 'in the moment' adventure. The pain that should accompany a loss is just not as apparent and perhaps is not as painful as it needs to be. Do these kids today not care? Do these games really matter to them anymore? I wonder.

Yeah, soft is a tough word for a football player to hear but it's hard to argue when you break down these games. There's a weak mentality that is pretty obvious. I've never seen so many guys try to avoid contact or let up when they think a play is over. And the lay on the ground on your belly and look up as the play continues, that's a new philosphy we've adopted. Haven't seen that one before.

There was a quote here last week about a former Nebraska walk on who wanted to make it clear that regardless of how the season went, nobody would be able to look back and spot him giving a half assed effort.

I can tell you right now, I can go back in every game this year and find 10-15-20 plays a game between the offense and defense where an individual could be questioned on their effort.

To me, that's the saddest thing about all of it.

AN7Zfz.gif

Langsdorf!

Didn't watch the game yesterday (was buying a car- which from the sounds of the game might've been the more enjoyable of the two options) but this is just pathetic. Been seeing these kinds of missed opportunities all year post BYU. The best our receivers played was in week 1 and it has seemingly been down hill from there

AN7Zfz.gif

Langsdorf!

Didn't watch the game yesterday (was buying a car- which from the sounds of the game might've been the more enjoyable of the two options) but this is just pathetic. Been seeing these kinds of missed opportunities all year post BYU. The best our receivers played was in week 1 and it has seemingly been down hill from there

You should see the guaranteed Touchdown Jamal Turner gave up on. Tommy threw it on the money but Turner quit on the route and couldn't recover in time. Damn Tommy and Langsdorf though!

Edit:

Here it is.

6_il4b.gif

Tommy puts it on the money. Would've been a beautiful touchdown pass. Instead Turner just quits? I can't explain what his thought process was or if there was one, but he just gave up on the route.

AN7Zfz.gif

Langsdorf!

You should see the guaranteed Touchdown Jamal Turner gave up on. Tommy threw it on the money but Turner quit on the route and couldn't recover in time. Damn Tommy and Langsdorf though!
In fairness these types of balls are dropped in the NFL all the time.

Turner was slowed down by a hit before he "gave up" on the route, and had to adjust and relocate the ball. Yes his effort is lacking on many plays, but that was not one of them (although I initially thought it was).

AN7Zfz.gif

Langsdorf!

In fairness these types of balls are dropped in the NFL all the time.

Turner was slowed down by a hit before he "gave up" on the route, and had to adjust and relocate the ball. Yes his effort is lacking on many plays, but that was not one of them (although I initially thought it was).

I can't make the GIF any bigger.

The only contact Turner gets on the play is when he reaches out and tags the defender on the way by. The defender didn't initiate any contact. Had Turner continued at his initial speed, the defender was out of position and would never have been able to recover. Instead, like I said, Turner slows down and tags the defender on his own as he runs by.

Just goes to show. You can break down a play, make a GIF of it and view it a thousand times, and someone can still interpret it wrong.

You are wrong Zrod.

Here is my big problem with the passing game, if we are going to be a passing team then what is the identity as a passing team. Do we want to throw a lot of conventional screens, do we want to throw WR screens do we want to dink and dunk down the field, do we want to run intermediate stuff to the outside, do we want to throw deep? There is no identity.

What do we do fairly well in the passing game? IMO TA throws pretty well on roll out/ boot passing we don't do it nearly enough. I see too much shotgun, token play action stuff. If they want to throw it 40+ times a game fine, do it. But 15-18 of those should be some sort of roll out. Not the 4-5 we see.

The waggle is a staple of the west coast passing game. Fake to RB, boot out and hit a dragging TE at 8-10 yard depth with the chance of picking up another 5-10 yards. I do not recall this play all year. They have run some, but not to the TE. Why don't we run it. Iowa runs it 4-5 times a game so does Wisconsin and MSU. TA runs this type of stuff pretty well. Run it more. Run boot action and his a WR on a post down the seam?

I don't think the run or pass game has any continuity to it. I see too much we are going to try and take what they give us and too little this is what we like to do.