Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

Listening the Sharp & Benning on podcast this morning. Only through Segment 2, but Benning is calling out the effort of this team. He doesn't absolve the coaches, but says the players need to "buy in" and "care" and that seems to be his #1 problem.

He talked about TA and his (bad) decision making, but he said he would take 105 Tommy Armstrongs on this team because Tommy gives it his all and cares.

• Fire 4

Everything seemed flat on Saturday. The crowd, the team, the atmosphere, everything. There were many moments when the stadium was like a tomb. This was in the first half of the game, when everyone in the stands and both sidelines were thinking, "We've seen this before."

You see that sideline all mum and mopey, no energy, not engaged in the game. I often get the impression the team feels like it needs energy from the crowd to get going, and occasionally the crowd can be relied upon to do that. But it is not always the responsibility of the fans to provide an electric atmosphere.

The relationship between the team and fans often seems backwards. I'm paying to watch them play. They aren't paying to watch me cheer. If anyone has an obligation to perform, it's the team.

• Fire 1

First time I saw that picture, I guess I didn't register that that was with 5 minutes left in the game...

Hate throwing guys under the bus, but that's embarrassing. It's pretty obvious there are guys on the team who don't care. They're just along for the ride. Sad it's gotten to this point. Really hope Riley has an answer.

Everything seemed flat on Saturday. The crowd, the team, the atmosphere, everything. There were many moments when the stadium was like a tomb. This was in the first half of the game, when everyone in the stands and both sidelines were thinking, "We've seen this before."

You see that sideline all mum and mopey, no energy, not engaged in the game. I often get the impression the team feels like it needs energy from the crowd to get going, and occasionally the crowd can be relied upon to do that. But it is not always the responsibility of the fans to provide an electric atmosphere.

The relationship between the team and fans often seems backwards. I'm paying to watch them play. They aren't paying to watch me cheer. If anyone has an obligation to perform, it's the team.

This team, with a few exceptions, has no intrinsic motivation to get up and perform, to improve on their own time, or to find a killer instinct because that's how it's been forever. They wouldn't know their *** from a hole in the ground if Bo didn't tell them. They had to be spoonfed their motivation by him and the concept of self-motivation and players picking up their teammates seems foreign.

• Fire 1

I dunno. I keep asking who's providing the motivation for the team as it's pretty clear it's not coming from Coach Aw Shucks. I have a very hard time imagining Riley as a motivator. Thoughts?

I agree and I also think that even thought he wants to win really bad...he might be looking at this season differently than many of us fans. 3-5 at OSU with a bunch of close losses is not a huge negative...at NU it is.