Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

I'm looking at this still photograph and wondering what Benning is seeing there that's cause for so much consternation... is it that some back ups are sitting on the bench? Does he not believe players should sit on a bench during a game?

I rewatched the game. I don't see a lack of effort, especially defensively. This team actually played pretty well defensively on Saturday.

Benning has been a proponent of Riley for a long time, so he's making excuses now and throwing players under the bus as a result. Pretty sad.

Did you not see all the missed tackles by the defense?

This highlights the most common misconception among fans (and I guess guys like Benning now, too).

Missed tackles are rarely do to a lack of effort. 95% of the time its due to being out of position and losing fundamentals.

All of these guys work way too hard 364 days a year to show up on 1 day and "not care enough to give effort."

The two other points that no one who is blaming players will address are:

1. if the effort was so bad, why were the result so good, minus a couple of plays?

2. if the effort and "buy in" is so bad, how is NU even in these games at all?

I'm looking at this still photograph and wondering what Benning is seeing there that's cause for so much consternation... is it that some back ups are sitting on the bench? Does he not believe players should sit on a bench during a game?

I rewatched the game. I don't see a lack of effort, especially defensively. This team actually played pretty well defensively on Saturday.

Benning has been a proponent of Riley for a long time, so he's making excuses now and throwing players under the bus as a result. Pretty sad.

This highlights the most common misconception among fans (and I guess guys like Benning now, too).

Missed tackles are rarely do to a lack of effort. 95% of the time its due to being out of position and losing fundamentals.

All of these guys work way too hard 364 days a year to show up on 1 day and "not care enough to give effort."

1. if the effort was so bad, why were the result so good, minus a couple of plays?

Question #1 NW helped us out a lot. They dropped a lot of open balls and are a Terrible offense. They took advantage of our busts not them making a good play.

Question #2 we are in these games bc we are superior athletically than NW, Illini, BYU, and most of Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

You made the statement that the defense played well on Saturday. Missed tackles have everything to do with NOT playing well. If you are missing tackles, you are NOT doing your job.

Lets not move the goal posts and talk about something entirely different.

• Fire 1

Can't be. I was informed after one game that this staff had corrected the missed tackle issues.

I thought they were doing better in the tackling department in the first few games....

Hell Riley just stands there on the sideline...arms folded...headset on but the mic part pointed up over his head so you know he isn't talking to anyone...He is probably thinking about his next bike ride.

Exactly. Just like Bo's attitude permeated the team the same goes for Riley. Those shots of him with his hands on his knees just staring at the ground a few games ago. He looked like an old guy who just didn't have it anymore and was pondering what to do next. We went from one extreme to the exact opposite. College kids especially feed off of their coaches especially the head coach.

As for the picture by Benning those are probably a lot of backups or reserves. The offensive and defensive linemen always sit. Anyway I don't buy into the picture much in terms the effort the starters are giving.

Whatever it is I think the effort is there but the enthusiasm has been lost. At 3-5 I wonder if some of the players have full confidence in the head coach and his assistants.

Can't be. I was informed after one game that this staff had corrected the missed tackle issues.

I thought they were doing better in the tackling department in the first few games....

That's likely because people look for something to be better and will jump on anything that they think shows them that. Not picking on you, that's just how people work in general. They like to over-emphasize things they agree with and discount things that don't fit.

We probably had a couple good games early on. But for starters one or two games is a pretty small sample size. Have to look at a longer trend to see the pattern. Second, we played teams with pretty below-average athletes at the skill positions early on. BYU had tall WRs who were tough matchups but not very athletic and thus not tough to tackle. USA and USM were totally out-classed by us athlete-wise. Once we started to get up against teams that were at least in the same range with us athletically, we don't look nearly as good in that area.

That's likely because people look for something to be better and will jump on anything that they think shows them that. Not picking on you, that's just how people work in general. They like to over-emphasize things they agree with and discount things that don't fit.

We probably had a couple good games early on. But for starters one or two games is a pretty small sample size. Have to look at a longer trend to see the pattern. Second, we played teams with pretty below-average athletes at the skill positions early on. BYU had tall WRs who were tough matchups but not very athletic and thus not tough to tackle. USA and USM were totally out-classed by us athlete-wise. Once we started to get up against teams that were at least in the same range with us athletically, we don't look nearly as good in that area.

I agree with all of this. After the first couple of games I was pretty hopeful that our poor tackling issues were behind us. It's not the first time I've been wrong and it probably won't be the last either. :D

• Fire 1

I dunno. I keep asking who's providing the motivation for the team as it's pretty clear it's not coming from Coach Aw Shucks. I have a very hard time imagining Riley as a motivator. Thoughts?

I have a very hard time imagining you being balanced in your observations of the program and your assessment of where the problems lie. I might take you seriously if you even gave a pretense of objectivity in your posts. I absolutely feel the staff has problems and I have no problems detailing them. But Benning and anyone who doesn't bang on the staff is just misguided....at least as far your posts indicate.

Hell Riley just stands there on the sideline...arms folded...headset on but the mic part pointed up over his head so you know he isn't talking to anyone...He is probably thinking about his next bike ride.

Exactly. Just like Bo's attitude permeated the team the same goes for Riley. Those shots of him with his hands on his knees just staring at the ground a few games ago. He looked like an old guy who just didn't have it anymore and was pondering what to do next. We went from one extreme to the exact opposite. College kids especially feed off of their coaches especially the head coach.

As for the picture by Benning those are probably a lot of backups or reserves. The offensive and defensive linemen always sit. Anyway I don't buy into the picture much in terms the effort the starters are giving.

Whatever it is I think the effort is there but the enthusiasm has been lost. At 3-5 I wonder if some of the players have full confidence in the head coach and his assistants.

I agree. Why can't we have an explosive nutjob like TO on the sidelines. Geez, those damned unflappable coaches just drive me nuts.

I agree. Why can't we have an explosive nutjob like TO on the sidelines. Geez, those damned unflappable coaches just drive me nuts.

TO had a ton of fire on the sideline. He may not have cursed, but he was as intense as any coach out there. Anyone who doesn't remember him arguing calls and going red is simply only recalling his last couple of years (after being advised by doctors to monitor his stress levels).

Everything seemed flat on Saturday. The crowd, the team, the atmosphere, everything. There were many moments when the stadium was like a tomb. This was in the first half of the game, when everyone in the stands and both sidelines were thinking, "We've seen this before."

You see that sideline all mum and mopey, no energy, not engaged in the game. I often get the impression the team feels like it needs energy from the crowd to get going, and occasionally the crowd can be relied upon to do that. But it is not always the responsibility of the fans to provide an electric atmosphere.

The relationship between the team and fans often seems backwards. I'm paying to watch them play. They aren't paying to watch me cheer. If anyone has an obligation to perform, it's the team.

I'm still baffled with the lack of passion/fire/desire playing at home with the 95 Team present. Geez, these guys really were two (2) years of age when that happened. Learn some history fella's ... of the University you play for. The crowd was puzzling as well with the 95 team present. We have lost our way.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite clips in the Lion King ...