Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

I am left wondering about the o-line. If there is no chance that the starters will be coming off the field during the game, what exactly is pushing them to perform at the top of their abilities?

I'll buy that the starters are the best players available. I find it hard to believe that their backups couldn't play harder and get better results.

I hope that makes sense. My brain to keyboard translator doesn't always synch.

It scares me that this staff does not see any other options.

Riley says they are not "saving" anybody, or holding someone off the field in an attempt to build for the future. He says the best players are playing and we are doing what we can to win NOW.

It's going to become increasingly clear that this isn't an effort thing. Heck, Riley even said it wasn't an effort issue today in the press conference (said that it "frankly isn't" when pressed). I respect him for that, because he's right. He also made some great points about human nature and resisting the urge to throw up your hands when faced with adversity. Said the frustration is not a human flaw issue. It's a result of the bad losses suffered so far.

I wonder if guys like Benning will eat their words at some point. Because there's no historic precedent to indicate this staff has the ability to get anyone to perform over their own heads. That's just plain reality.

If you can't see a lack of effort, then I don't know what to tell you.

Those 2 or 3 offsides in a row on the kicks? Thats not coaching. That's a total lack of concentration/effort.

Benning still calling out effort today. But is also calling out the coaches for a bad game plan, not having "tough" enough practices, and not having any consequences for poor play.

Today's show was good. It was the first time I've listened to most of the show in a long time. Damon Benning's perspective is right on with I'm seeing.

I am left wondering about the o-line. If there is no chance that the starters will be coming off the field during the game, what exactly is pushing them to perform at the top of their abilities?

I'll buy that the starters are the best players available. I find it hard to believe that their backups couldn't play harder and get better results.

Ok...I'm going to pick on you but don't take it personally. I hear this a lot.

Why the hell should it take the backup behind you to push you harder? How about being motivated to go kick the other teams ass? Especially one that is supposed to be a lot less talented than you.

The starters should be the leaders on the team showing the guys behind them how brutally hard you have to work to be successful and if you can't keep up then you are going to get your ass whooped in practice and look silly.

Why the hell should it take the backup behind you to push you harder? How about being motivated to go kick the other teams ass? Especially one that is supposed to be a lot less talented than you.

The starters should be the leaders on the team showing the guys behind them how brutally hard you have to work to be successful and if you can't keep up then you are going to get your ass whooped in practice and look silly.

In a perfect world you would be absolutely correct. However, it's not that way in the world we live in. Competition breeds effort. I'm sure the kids play hard. But if they know there is someone there that the coach will replace them with if they don't hustle they will play a lot harder. That's been my experience while working the sideline anyway.

In a perfect world you would be absolutely correct. However, it's not that way in the world we live in. Competition breeds effort. I'm sure the kids play hard. But if they know there is someone there that the coach will replace them with if they don't hustle they will play a lot harder. That's been my experience while working the sideline anyway.

I'm not doubting you.

I know a school that recently won a championship in hs football. It was won mostly with athletes from two classes. These athletes didn't go to practice and say, oh shot, someone might take my job. They thrived on kicking people's asses on Friday night and the chance to win a championship.

People literally saw those classes coming up through middle school. Nobody else was going to take their jobs. There were actually kids that quit playing football because they knew they weren't going to play. Younger kids in the program learned from them about what it takes.

This is something seriously missing in this program.

It's going to become increasingly clear that this isn't an effort thing. Heck, Riley even said it wasn't an effort issue today in the press conference (said that it "frankly isn't" when pressed). I respect him for that, because he's right. He also made some great points about human nature and resisting the urge to throw up your hands when faced with adversity. Said the frustration is not a human flaw issue. It's a result of the bad losses suffered so far.

I wonder if guys like Benning will eat their words at some point. Because there's no historic precedent to indicate this staff has the ability to get anyone to perform over their own heads. That's just plain reality.

Those 2 or 3 offsides in a row on the kicks? Thats not coaching. That's a total lack of concentration/effort.

They said the Purdue long snapper was calling a cadence then moving the ball. Basically he was getting away with a false start.

Pretty much the same thing as Michigan State was doing last year, just from the other side of the ball.

I'm not doubting you.

I know a school that recently won a championship in hs football. It was won mostly with athletes from two classes. These athletes didn't go to practice and say, oh shot, someone might take my job. They thrived on kicking people's asses on Friday night and the chance to win a championship.

People literally saw those classes coming up through middle school. Nobody else was going to take their jobs. There were actually kids that quit playing football because they knew they weren't going to play. Younger kids in the program learned from them about what it takes.

Competition is a critical foundation of any football team. Tom Osborne, Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden... a lot of great coaches talk about how important it is.

What you're talking about is important, too. A winning culture that thrives on being great hasn't been around this program for a really long time. But, not all players are created equal. Some players need that push from the other guys to make them be their best.

One of the best motivators is a guy trying to take your spot.

I'm not doubting you.

My son's class is going to be the same way. His whole class is so competitive that they can't play football or any sports during recess because they will start fighting. It seems like every sport they play, they are dominate at. Last year, my son and 2 of his classmates won their brackets in a takedown tournament going against kids up to 6th grade. They were in 3rd. This year, their class wasn't allowed to play varsity pee-wee football because of rules but the team held a scrimmage and they beat the varsity team which consisted of 5th-6th graders.

Not if you're Gerry. He'll just whiff within the first 10 yards, and be done with it after that.

Anybody who is watching them play this year knows this team's tackling compared to last year's tackling is 80 - 90% better.

They just have problems getting to the QB and coverage.

Gerry is a horrendously bad open field tackler. He was last year, and it has carried over this year.

Not to mention he turns his hips more than a bunny ranch employee when he is in coverage.

They said the Purdue long snapper was calling a cadence then moving the ball. Basically he was getting away with a false start.

Pretty much the same thing as Michigan State was doing last year, just from the other side of the ball.

Then why the hell weren't they going to the ref and pointing it out?

Then why the hell weren't they going to the ref and pointing it out?

I didn't hear that. I'm guessing someone got in the refs ear as that's why we didn't see it again after the 1Q.

This seems foolish to say. Especially with all of our injuries...

I mean, everyone's all on board now saying "They need to hit more in practice!" until we lose 2 guys before a big game. Then everyone would say "they need to be smart! Don't injure players DURING practice!"

There's no right answer, but the best is what everyone is doing. And that is less contact during the practice week. Everyone does it for a reason...