We're going to run when we want to

Being a few plays away is speculation?

No it isn't. That is literally exactly what happened in some cases.

Bo was also a few plays away from a couple conference titles, probably a BCS bowl win and going 11-1 last year. Should we give him credit for those since we were so close?

Sure?

If you want to, go right ahead.

I don't think anyone was saying give credit for close losses. Just stop pretending we've been getting blown out and acting like Riley is miles away from getting some things right.

I think there's sixteen years of pissed off Husker fan all somehow being dumped onto Mike Riley and his staff right now.

• Fire 1

Bo was also a few plays away from a couple conference titles, probably a BCS bowl win and going 11-1 last year. Should we give him credit for those since we were so close?

Bo totally got credit for the close losses in the 2009 season. A lot of folks gave him credit for the semi-competitive losses to the SEC in the 2011 and 2012 Capitol One Bowls.

He also got credit for that horribly played loss against A&M 2010, because conventional wisdom said the Big 12 officials jobbed Nebraska.

Bo got credit for that win against Northwestern, too. That was a great call, going for a Hail Mary. He got credit for Alex Henry's 57 yard field goal in 2008.

He could have taken credit for the huge comeback against Ohio State, but he was too bitter that some fans had left at halftime.

Last year Minnesota was a close loss, McNeese State an unfortunately close win and the Wisconsin loss was by three times as many points as all this year's losses combined.

How much more stupid should we make this?

• Fire 2

Again while watching tonights game. Trent Dilfer explained how hard it is for Flacco to be on his 4th OC. Showed a play that was the exact same, but the terminology was completely different, the route trees were similar, but different enough to make it a "new play" even though Flaco had been running it for years (6). The progression was different and the hot read was what the previous #4 read would have been. Baltimore only has 75 of these plays.

With this in mind, no wonder TA looks baffled at times. If a Superbowl QB has issues imagine TA. A guy who is not a "typical" throwing QB, learning a different system that might be similar or light years apart.

Hell, that problem might be the case for the whole offense and the whole defense.

Believe it or not, football (for most players) is more mental than physical. Players more than likely can't tell their body to do if their minds aren't in the right place, and I think that's a problem that's plaguing our whole team. Everybody's learning (which this just in, doesn't happen overnight) and so we're not seeing everybody's full potential. Is Bando really as slow as he showed on Saturday? No way, but it's hard to erase old habits installed and ingrained from a former system.

This is a major reason why we shouldn't and can't be calling for coach's heads after a season. Can you imagine having 3 different coaches in 3 years, all who use different terminology and all who have different philosophies?

Sure?

If you want to, go right ahead.

I don't think anyone was saying give credit for close losses. Just stop pretending we've been getting blown out and acting like Riley is miles away from getting some things right.

I think there's sixteen years of pissed off Husker fan all somehow being dumped onto Mike Riley and his staff right now.

I am sorry but we have every right to be upset at the poor play. Imagine how the 95 team felt having to watch us get beat by NW and we could not even make one stop to get the ball back or get a first down when we only had two yards to go. I can only imagine what the 95 team was thinking. Unfortunately, the current players have grown accustomed to losing and it does not phase them or bother them that they are ruining what is left of Husker pride. Also, if Mike Riley is so great why has he not fixed the killer penalties or the lack of discipline. I do not see much improvement from last year but I do see the losing record which made us irrelevant. Also, our special teams are nonexistent. So, what has the mighty Riley done except manage to find a way to lose every close game we played thus far.
  • Fire 1

Maybe the feeling left with Ron Brown

Brown was a real loss, he's a great coach.

While we obviously don't have an AA this year what frustrates me is that we aren't getting the most out of what we do have. Our rb rotation/use leaves much to be desired. Ya Newby can pass-pro but I want to punch myself in the face when I see him run inside, he's too average a back to be in so much. Cross isn't an every-down back but should be in for more than the occasional short-yardage play. What the hell happened to Wilbon? He looked good when he got a chance then disappeared. I'll be shocked if he doesn't transfer out. Same thing happened with Ozigbo. Why did we burn Stevenson's shirt again? The one bright spot has been our fullback use. Janovich has been a revelation, would have liked to have seen him get a couple carries against NW.

As far as the running game in general goes I think Neb needs run-oriented but still balanced identity, a 60/40 split. That is Nebraska football, we can recruit to that style, and it's weatherproof. At least a couple games per year we'll have weather that is hard to pass in.

Impressive, Mike Riley apparentty has all Bo's recruits taking on his "leaderless" personality, with no discipline.

Man, that was fast.

It takes twelve weeks in boot camp to transform a young man into a recruit into a soldier, sailor, or a marine. So it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for Riley to do so in 10 months...and no drill instructor makes a million and a half dollars a year.

With Pelini it's stupid, with Riley it's hopeful.

.700 vs .500

Dude, I was hopeful with Pelini for 6.5 years.

If you're a fan, you might as well be hopeful.

If you think your a fan and your idea of fun is to say "I told you so!" when things go bad, you're merely a dick.

Also, it was the argument that was stupid, not the coach. But you knew that, right?

• Fire 2

"Just interesting that the ESPN talking heads picked up on the success of the run first mentality and the physical toughness in the trenches and across the team. Also spoke highly of using Cam in the run game. "

I don't watch much of the WWL unless my team's playing but I didn't think they said much else, really. I.e., I thought "physicality" was one of the buzz words they used all day every day. With that said, I'm sure he-who-wears-khakis-and-sometimes-glasses took his Michigan charges and worked them harder than most from the word "GO" and even now has practices that are probably tougher than games. It's like swinging two bats on deck! It's too late now for this Nebraska team, though, injuries or no.

With Pelini it's stupid, with Riley it's hopeful.

.700 vs .500

Dude, I was hopeful with Pelini for 6.5 years.

If you're a fan, you might as well be hopeful.

If you think your a fan and your idea of fun is to say "I told you so!" when things go bad, you're merely a dick.

Also, it was the argument that was stupid, not the coach. But you knew that, right?

I'll tell you exactly what it is, and I'll do so without resorting to name calling.

It's a total failure to understand how Eichorst could look at Mikey Riley's resume and even think for a minute he was qualified or capable of being the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

I'll tell you exactly what it is, and I'll do so without resorting to name calling.

It's a total failure to understand how Eichorst could look at Mikey Riley's resume and even think for a minute he was qualified or capable of being the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

Apparently some less savvy college football analysts disagreed with you.

(I know you don't like this list. I'm tired of reposting it, too. But Eichorst's choice wasn't the indefensible head-scratcher some make it out to be)

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a your problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by @Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Aaron Taylor ‏@outland1997

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Jordan Westerkamp @JordanWesty1

Follow

Looking forward to this new experience with @Coach_Riley GBR.

10:37 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Michael Rose-Ivey @Rose_IveyNB15

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Welcome to the Husker family Coach Mike Riley! Go Big Red!

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire #Huskers #GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

• Fire 1

Apparently some less savvy college football analysts disagreed with you.

(I know you don't like this list. I'm tired of reposting it, too. But Eichorst's choice wasn't the indefensible head-scratcher some make it out to be)

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a your problem. Congrats #Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Kirk Herbstreit

@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by @Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Sam Ponder

@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Aaron Taylor ‏@outland1997

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Joel Klatt

@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy #realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Jordan Westerkamp @JordanWesty1

Follow

Looking forward to this new experience with @Coach_Riley GBR.

10:37 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Paul Myerberg

@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Michael Rose-Ivey @Rose_IveyNB15

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Prince Amukamara

@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Welcome to the Husker family Coach Mike Riley! Go Big Red!

Jay Moore @jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire #Huskers #GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Dennis Dodd

@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

Hip.Hip.Hooray.

• Fire 1

Pre-Monday night football talking about teams running in the league. Carolina clearly at the top with almost 48% (NFL does pass more i.e. Riley and Langs?)

Carolina Panthers-Coach Ron Rivera

"We're going to run when we want to. We're going to run when we have to and we're going to run when you know we have to......" I would love for this to be NU's mantra going forward either next season with Riley or a new coach, but impose the will. Run the ball.

Talking heads tonight said the team (Carolina) is built on toughness on both sides of the ball. Imitates the coach.

Under Bo, he was loose cannon, out of control at times (see penalties/lack of technique). Riley is incredibly nice (see a leaderless team with no discipline)

We need to go back to being physical, tough and mean on both sides of the ball.

Just interesting that the ESPN talking heads picked up on the success of the run first mentality and the physical toughness in the trenches and across the team. Also spoke highly of using Cam in the run game.

Riley was hired because he was the opposite of Bo, end of story. no other reason than what a great guy/nice coach he is... Bo's going ballistic got old and got him fired, AD says Bo didn't win the games that mattered, guess the AD now says none of the games we lost this year mattered... other wire he would be admitting that he is the clown we all know him to be (Steve Pederson part II).