Overtime: Purdue Post-game Overreaction

Mavric

Riley shouldn't be asked to clean house and I hope Eichorst (nor anyone else) asks him to. He will need to own this program and what he does with it -- and that includes his hiring choices.He's going to have some pretty interesting calls to make. At the end of year 1, I don't know how common it is to start dismissing assistants. But he's got to be concerned that some things are just not working out, right?For my part, my focus right now is mostly (exclusively?) on secondary coach Brian Stewart. Sweet balls of fire, what a mess.

This isn't year 1 of a defensive coordinator bring in over his head and leading total crap performances and being utterly clueless afterwards. People in Corvallis are probably still partying after his departure after begging for him to be sh#t canned for years. Big changes need to be made

I guarantee all that will happen is that Eichorst will tell Riley that staff changes must be made, Riley will say ok, and that will be enough to satisfy the suits for now.

No, Riley won't be asked to clean house. This option isn't even on the table.

Ok Mr. New Sockpuppet, dont come in and just say serious deliberations, and this or that isnt an option. What are specifics? Post in rumorville at least.

I forgot about Sockpuppet. That was some good entertainment. Hope he returns.

I certainly didn't expect the dumpster fire we're seeing this season.

I thought Pelini was fired a year late, which probably had the effect of separating his negative behavior with his severance in the eyes of many. I think fewer people would have questioned it if he were fired after the 2013 Iowa shitshow the same year that secret "f#*k-you" tape #1 was released. It was already long obvious he didn't want to be here.

Eichorst should have had a year to find the right replacement. But...

The way to support the program now is to bear with Riley and co. this year and next, and see where we're at. Nebraska absolutely cannot make another coaching change right away, because that will be the end.

I wonder if Riley knew what he was coming into here. Did he expect people to be happy and supportive of him? Because that's not what he walked into. People here are either pissed off about #9wins being fired or so insecure and pessimistic that things probably couldn't have gone anything but badly after the first slightest mis-step.

I wonder if Eichorst ever talked to the players about why Pelini was fired, other than his press conference. I thought his press conference was a poorly worded mix of "not winning the games that matter" with "not a leader of young men." There could have been a lot more buy-in on a lot of peoples' parts if Eichorst had just been direct, thorough and honest from the beginning.

Anyway, we are where we are. Too many people pulling in too many different directions and poor communication all around have led the Huskers to become capable of losing to 1-6 Purdue. I feel bad for the guys on the team who are "all in," and for the coaches.

But none of this is rocket science. Winning is as simple as players deciding that's what they're going to do. At Nebraska, that decision is worth about 9 won games a year. If they decide they want more than 9, that's where they're going to have to dig a little deeper.

Can't fire riley now because that would be the end? End of what? Getting pounded by purdue and going 3-9? I sure hope so

ok its the next day now and he still hasn't been fired. Do these board members not see whats going on?? Pederson fire a 9-4 guy. Hire a west coast guy miss 2 bowl games. Eichorst fire a 9-4 guy. Hire west coast guy miss a bowl game. We've missed 3 bowl games in the last 50 years. Guess what offense we had. If they don't fire him right now Pederson should recieve an apology

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

You still don't get it

Then help me, please.

Truthfully I don't understand why we fired Bo, without having a guy in our sights, or at least the RIGHT guy in our pocket to take the job.

If you're in an abusive marriage, you get a divorce. Period. Even if you don't have a supermodel lying in wait, even if it costs you the house, you get out of that relationship.

Yeah, cause obviously an abusive marriage is that same thing as a Bo Pelini coached team.

He resented the fanbase, the media, and the athletic department, he didn't want to be here, and it consistently led to the ugliest kinds of blowouts and losses or ugly close wins against inferior competition. What about that sounds at all healthy?

You still don't get it

Then help me, please.

First of all your metaphor was distasteful and far from being in the same boat of the two and failed to even answer HuskerCarters main point which is this; you don't fire a winning coach without having a high profile coach on your list and Mike Riley isn't even close to being that coach.

I agree with HuskerCarter, you don't fire a winning coach without having a big time hire in line. Look at the position we are at right now with Riley, this coach has already lost to an interim head coach, a coach that got fired mid season and now a coach who has now won 2 conference games in 3 years. Riley is now 7-16 in conference play in the past 3 years.

When firing Pelini, Eichorst had a full house right in front of him detailing all of Pelini's failures at Nebraska to the next high profile coach such as Bo's sideline demeanor, the leaked tape, record against ranked teams, meltdown loses, etc but yet Eichorst folded because he was tunnel vision on what he wanted in a coach, his only choice, and here we are with his coach of choice sitting at a 3-6 record.

• Fire 1