My my what an entitled bunch we are

Lux

Another 'real fans' thread. Nice. With all that he forgot, Danny L. also forgot how to coach and call plays for a football team, too. Nebraska football is a national laughingstock, and we're pissed about it. DEAL WITH IT.

You guys who are so over the top outraged about the state of the program are NOT helping. That is the point. You just can't seem to realize and acknowledge that the program is in the dumpster and Mike Riley didn't put it there. It was already there but you couldn't see it. A couple lucky wins here and there throughout the Pelinia era and several lucky wins in the Solich and Callahan eras as well. The program must be rebuilt from the foundation up. Now we can argue about the process and the whos and what fors of that process but simply attempting to live in the past and forgetting about the future won't help at all. Bashing the program won't attract recruits.

Why do all you Bolievers insist on trashing the current program. Bo is gone and he is NEVER, EVER, EVER coming back. Almost NOBODY but you handful of posters on this board (likely the same ones on the other sites as well) want Bo back. That is simply not happening. It is history. There is a better chance of Tom Osborne coaching again than Bo or Frank. Please. Stop with the Bo crap. Offer something positive instead of just bashing everyone associated with the program.

Dude. Did I mention Bo ONCE? I've never been apart of the 'Boliever' crap. I was surprised, but understood why he was axed, and I don't even want him back. But, like most of Husker Nation, absolutely shocked and dismayed at the hiring of Mike Riley. I saw a rough season coming, but like everyone else, I didn't think this would happen, never in a million years. While the boys in red aren't gettin' it done, it seems a lot of people want to blame everyone BUT the coaches, and that's ludicrous. They're paid MILLIONS of dollars to prevent this crap.

• Fire 1

While I get the point that the OP is trying to make with regards to giving time and how firing MR this year may not appear a wise move or could very well dig Husker Nation a deeper hole to fill, I am not sure there is a logical step that can be taken that allows the University to escape without having egg on it's face. I have been a supporter of our players and coaches since the 60s and a donor/booster as well. I have seen great teams and I have seen lackluster teams. The status we find ourselves in presently appears to be deeper than coaching, schemes, styles or athletic ability. I am not sure what it is or if there is anyone who can put a real face on the problem but when MR was hired, I started supporting him and have stood by the decision that was made by our administrators even though i was puzzled by the hire. Has it paid dividends yet? No. Will it, I don't know at this point!

To me, it appears we have crossed that line of "no return" with MR and while I hate to say it, I suspect after the next few games, the writing on the wall will prove to be too much for MR and SE to overcome. Regardless of what stain it may or may not put on our program, it appears that the National perception has already placed the hiring of MR and those who hired him in the lime light that will be very hard to turn around. Who could come in or would want to come in and take over the reigns? It depends on who is remaining within our administration. <-- Take this comment how you want too but it has become extremely obvious that the illness our institution is and has been fighting, starts higher within the body than those who stand on the field.

This is not a statement showing support to remove MR and his staff! This is just a observation that there is more happening than we know within the walls at our U.

Finding ourselves in this situation again hurts me to the core! I do not look forward to the coming weeks or months.

• Fire 1

Another 'real fans' thread. Nice. With all that he forgot, Danny L. also forgot how to coach and call plays for a football team, too. Nebraska football is a national laughingstock, and we're pissed about it. DEAL WITH IT.

You guys who are so over the top outraged about the state of the program are NOT helping. That is the point. You just can't seem to realize and acknowledge that the program is in the dumpster and Mike Riley didn't put it there. It was already there but you couldn't see it. A couple lucky wins here and there throughout the Pelinia era and several lucky wins in the Solich and Callahan eras as well. The program must be rebuilt from the foundation up. Now we can argue about the process and the whos and what fors of that process but simply attempting to live in the past and forgetting about the future won't help at all. Bashing the program won't attract recruits.

Why do all you Bolievers insist on trashing the current program. Bo is gone and he is NEVER, EVER, EVER coming back. Almost NOBODY but you handful of posters on this board (likely the same ones on the other sites as well) want Bo back. That is simply not happening. It is history. There is a better chance of Tom Osborne coaching again than Bo or Frank. Please. Stop with the Bo crap. Offer something positive instead of just bashing everyone associated with the program.

Thank god he is not coming back!

My question is...was there a coach that SE could have hired that would be doing a better job thatn Riley?

The answer to that is yes, there is always SOMEONE better out there. Could Nebraska have gotten them? Were they even available? Does it even matter, because you can't change the past? So, why keep bringing it all up? Riley is our coach at the University of Nebraska, at least through next season. Let's save all of the banter back and forth about who we should hire until AFTER the coach is fired. It does the program absolutely no good for fans to be undermining what is trying to happen right now at Nebraska. Whether you like it or not, changes are being made within the culture of the program. (they maybe good, they maybe bad).

All of us so called Riley supporters are actually along the lines of Nebraska supporters. We want the program to be as successful as everyone does, including yourself. The difference is, we can see that there are some deep problems within Nebraska football right now, and we are more than willing to give the current administration and coaches a little bit of a chance to correct the challenges. NOW, If it doesn't start to show improvement by this time next year, then by all means let's have these conversations. Until then, you guys are doing nothing but putting roadblocks up for the guys to try and fix the problems that exist.

You do realize that TO had some "lucky" wins during his tenure, in pretty much every year but 1995.

What you refer to as "luck" is just preparation paying off.

If you guys can't see the harm you are doing to this program right now, then there is seriously no hope for Nebraska football.

Did you call for Pelini to be fired?

not until he gave up 408 yards in 3 quarters, in his 7th season. Which by the way was after, he told the fans to F off, as well as dare his boss to fire him, among many other "endearing" things he did. All the while the entire country knew he was going to be fired, it was only a matter of when, not if. But I'm guessing you can't see the difference between the two and call me hypocritical anyways.

So, your point is what? After this past weekend, the entire country also KNOWS Riley is going to be fired. He and his entire staff are already lame ducks...whether it is tomorrow (it should be) or two more losing seasons later, he WILL be fired. At 3-6, that train has already left the station. Your pleas are not going to stop that. You don't lose 6 games at NU and keep your job.

We can choose to let this hire drag us down further into the muck or limit the potential damage immediately.

• Fire 1

My question is...was there a coach that SE could have hired that would be doing a better job thatn Riley?

The answer to that is yes, there is always SOMEONE better out there. Could Nebraska have gotten them? Were they even available? Does it even matter, because you can't change the past? So, why keep bringing it all up? Riley is our coach at the University of Nebraska, at least through next season. Let's save all of the banter back and forth about who we should hire until AFTER the coach is fired. It does the program absolutely no good for fans to be undermining what is trying to happen right now at Nebraska. Whether you like it or not, changes are being made within the culture of the program. (they maybe good, they maybe bad).

All of us so called Riley supporters are actually along the lines of Nebraska supporters. We want the program to be as successful as everyone does, including yourself. The difference is, we can see that there are some deep problems within Nebraska football right now, and we are more than willing to give the current administration and coaches a little bit of a chance to correct the challenges. NOW, If it doesn't start to show improvement by this time next year, then by all means let's have these conversations. Until then, you guys are doing nothing but putting roadblocks up for the guys to try and fix the problems that exist.

You do realize that TO had some "lucky" wins during his tenure, in pretty much every year but 1995.

Where does he refer to "luck?"

Good post, Soup.

Where does he refer to "luck?"

Sorry, that was directed at 84HuskerLaw. Still getting used to the way the quotes work here.

To me, it appears we have crossed that line of "no return" with MR and while I hate to say it, I suspect after the next few games, the writing on the wall will prove to be too much for MR and SE to overcome.

In some respects the worst thing to happen would be defeating Sparty and Iowa. I know some think that impossible, but those two teams are no where near as good as their record. Nebraska is fully capable of beating both. Do that and opinions change radically, given perception of those teams. Sometimes it takes a few years to realize certain wins didn't mean much. A big win or two can often buy a coach a sizable amount of time, and often it's just a mirage.

When to fire someone is really hard to tell. History is of little use. There are loads of coaches that had a bad year or two and then went on having bad years. Conversely there are coaches that took a while to reach whatever goal someone presented to them (bowl for some, maybe championship for others). Personally, especially in this case, I'm more of a leopard don't change his spots kind of person, but then again that's why I wouldn't have made this hire. Someone did and they need to evaluate it by the same terms they supposedly did when they made the hire.

I slept through the game this last week. Did the score shock me when I awoke? Absolutely not. We were one Heisman running back play from losing to Mcneese state last year. This is not the coaching staffs fault. This is not anything new to this team in recent years. My old ball coach used to say it takes a little luck, and Pelini had some luck to hit those 9 wins, i.e Mcneese, Northwestern Hail Mary, Pulling it out against MSU in the final drive come to mind. Last year could have easily went this poorly.

I just have to laugh at myself and our fan base. We did this. Really, we made our bed. Look in the mirror the problem is us. What an entitled bunch we are.

Riley is here another year so shut up. Thats the bottom line. It hurts doesnt it? Sell your tickets, quit watching, do what you have to do for the next couple years and we will see you when Obrian and the Twins are stomping ass. Herman who inherited a very very VERY ripe Houston program(the last 10+ years) isnt going to come in and do any better, A matter of fact, Im convinved Danny L. has forgotten more about football than Herman knows, And Im serious. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Is there much to look forward to next year? No. The year following? I doubt it. Year 4 and 5? I think so. Tuck that lip in, quit the bitching, and wait. Good things come to those who wait. In the world of instant gratification makes it difficult, I know.

To the Owner of this Forum: I would like to see a limit on starting to topics so we dont get so many negative posts out of left field from knee jerkers. It doesnt help an online forum and it doesnt help the team. Even Shaggy Texas has this rule. Install it.

Good Day Gentlemen

Exactly right. Hasn't been a Top 10 program finish since 2001 - that is 14 years ago! Hire some "magic man" coach and suddenly become national champions? Ridiculous. Many other high powered programs are after the same thing - and doing it successfully. The Huskers will have to do it the old fashioned way - earn it! Past days of glory are long gone - too many fans just haven't caught up with that fact.

• Fire 1

Well said.

I do think it's fair to question the Riley hire, even now. It's just what fans do when things aren't going well. Where I draw the line is already thinking of new head coaches and new AD's. Until they're gone we should show them at a least a smidgeon of respect for the position they're in, even if they aren't doing a great job.

• Fire 1