Minnesota

Virginia Tech

Hawaii

South Carolina

North Texas

Maryland

Illinois

Central Florida

out of these teams at least 3 or 4 would be considered by most to be more high profile and desirable than Neb, if we were to give Riley the boot (which I am of the notion). What we have here gentlemen is a supply vs demand problem. Based on the current landscape and our programs reluctancy to loosen the purse straps to buy a big name "splash hire"; I think the best thing we can do is suck it up & take it in the tail pipe a little longer...we basically have no choice. Lets hope MR makes some changes in the off season at key positions on the coaching staff and lands some good recruits. Hang in there husker nation! GBR!!!!

• Fire 2

Firing them this year would do two things:

1) Send a message to every available coach we consider that we expect IMMEDIATE results.

2) Put ourselves in a tough spot as far as hiring a new coach goes with all the other competition from the listed programs.

1. I don't agree. I think it just sends the message we have some semblance of standards, albeit not that unreasonable. You can't take a stable program that won 9-10 games the last 7 years and proceed to have one of the worst seasons in program history. I don't think that standard is too high. No one was expecting conference championships or more in the first year. Just don't immediately take us to last in our division.

2. I agree. There is a lot of competition for a few good candidates.

• Fire 3

There are plenty of changes every year. This year's number will grow, and perhaps be more than usual, but last year included Michigan and Florida. The year before was USC, Texas, Penn St, and Washington. There will always be "hot" coaches available, who may or may not pan out. There will also always be competing programs in the mix for them. If you're waiting for a year in which we'll have a clear shot at the best candidate, that may never happen.

Agree with the OP. If we were going for a splash hire we should have done it last December. Now that we have a new coach in place it's doubtful that we'll fire him in his first season and end up paying two guys buyout money. At this point I think we just need to support Riley and Company, and hope that they can turn this thing around. /rubs lucky rabbit foot

1) Send a message to every available coach we consider that we expect IMMEDIATE results.

2) Put ourselves in a tough spot as far as hiring a new coach goes with all the other competition from the listed programs.

1. I don't agree. I think it just sends the message we have some semblance of standards, albeit not that unreasonable. You can't take a stable program that won 9-10 games the last 7 years and proceed to have one of the worst seasons in program history. I don't think that standard is too high. No one was expecting conference championships or more in the first year. Just don't immediately take us to last in our division.

Let me ask you this

What would have been the strength of this team to get us back to the 9-10 win column

Offensive line? QB Play? RB Play? Secondary Play? DE Play?

The only strengths I see on this team have been some of our WR core I didn't say all and some of our young linebackers(would really like to see webber get more snaps) and the middle of the DL

• Fire 1

in no particular order the current HC opening are:

USC

Miami

Minnesota

Virginia Tech

Hawaii

South Carolina

North Texas

Maryland

Illinois

Central Florida

out of these teams at least 3 or 4 would be considered by most to be more high profile and desirable than Neb, if we were to give Riley the boot (which I am of the notion). What we have here gentlemen is a supply vs demand problem. Based on the current landscape and our programs reluctancy to loosen the purse straps to buy a big name "splash hire"; I think the best thing we can do is suck it up & take it in the tail pipe a little longer...we basically have no choice. Lets hope MR makes some changes in the off season at key positions on the coaching staff and lands some good recruits. Hang in there husker nation! GBR!!!!

Yep. Supply demand. Not the year. This is the thread the idiot clique needs to explain their position in.

• Fire 1

Let me ask you this

What would have been the strength of this team to get us back to the 9-10 win column

Offensive line? QB Play? RB Play? Secondary Play? DE Play?

The only strengths I see on this team have been some of our WR core I didn't say all and some of our young linebackers(would really like to see webber get more snaps) and the middle of the DL

I don't think it necessarily had to be a 9-10 win season. I think most everyone would have been fine with 6-7 regular season wins and a decent showing in the bowl game.

Last in the Big Ten West is a f'ing disgrace

• Fire 5

You can't fire the 9-3 coach, then fire the 4-8 coach and expect to compete with USC, Miami, VaTech and SCAR. Add us to that mix and we are in a rough spot.

I think every year, or every other year there is 1 or 2 really good coaches that become available. Last year was Harbaugh and as it turns out, McElwaine. 1 or 2 programs get a stud, and the rest of the programs are left fighting for scraps. I think this year or next, perhaps Chip Kelly may find his way back to the collage ranks but other than that, Im not sure who would even be a "splash hire" for any program at this point in the year. Im sure time will tell, but Its not often an Urban Meyer or Nick Saben caliber coach is on the market.