"Jordan Stevenson is done"

Well, that's disappointing. Had high hopes for Jordan.

Didn't really envision him as a true freshman who showed up out of conditioning, couldn't break the rotation and couldn't even hold down the kickoff returning job. Both of those could be understandable. Definitely didn't see him as a guy to quit the team midseason.

But, this is why it was probably good for him to burn his redshirt. He got a chance to try. If you fail (and sometimes that's just about fit! Not an indictment on the player, necessarily), better to fail early. When he transfers, he'll still have the shirt.

That should figure into the decision-making of all RBs, really. If you want to make it to the league, better to not spend 5 years in college and shorten your NFL career. If you want to hedge against not finding your fit at the first school -- given how quickly every school can churn through RBs -- not taking a redshirt year is the smart play.

From the Nebraska perspective, he was a late add to the class with high upside. It didn't work out, and obviously we're left asking if things could have gone differently, but both sides can ask themselves that here. And now, the scholarship opens up for the '16 class. Same as from the player's side: if a recruit doesn't work out, better for him to open up the spot early. They're already getting after it again on the recruiting trail with RB, and Ozigbo has been the better back from Jordan's own class in the early going.

Best wishes to Jordan! On we go.

• Fire 2

But, this is why it was probably good for him to burn his redshirt. He got a chance to try. If you fail (and sometimes that's just about fit! Not an indictment on the player, necessarily), better to fail early. When he transfers, he'll still have the shirt.

Are you suggesting that Riley puts players on the field just because they demand it? I mean, it does look that way. The kid certainly didn't look our best option on kick returns.

Are you suggesting that Riley puts players on the field just because they demand it? I mean, it does look that way. The kid certainly didn't look our best option on kick returns.

He gave him a shot. It didn't work out so he put him back on the bench. No big deal.

• Fire 2

Read didn't even think about him on ST until we were already in-season. Then, he is #1 KR for 3 games. Now, Stevenson is healthy and Morgan and Reilly are #1 and #2, and Stevenson decides to quit. I hope the rumors of ultimatums about playing time aren't true. What a weird situation for player and staff.

It's standard, GBR, but I'm sure you know that. It's not really about demanding, but you don't redshirt a guy who is really opposed to it. You can recommend, perhaps strongly, but ultimately, the path a player takes is kind of up to him.

There's a litany of players who passed on a redshirt year and came to regret it. However, maybe for them it was a learning process that shaped their future years with urgency.

I understand you're looking for a "bag on the coaches" angle in every single development. I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads to whet your appetite.

I'm not sure what the ultimatum story is. That rarely goes well. If he actually gave one, then a fresh start is for the best.

• Fire 2
The Rodgers brothers say hello along with Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson was a finished project of Dennis Erickson's that Riley inherited and James Rodgers had was a wide receiver most of his career at Oregon State.

Anyhow, glad to see at least one running back saying hello instead of good-bye.

He gave him a shot. It didn't work out so he put him back on the bench. No big deal.

No big deal? We were only last in the country in KR. I don't think you put someone out there just because he demands it, especially when he is taking it out of our endzone and failing to even get to the 20.

This has more to do with a kid just being a genuine pain in the butt than anything else. It's been nothing but drama with him since he came to Lincoln. Last Saturday it pretty much boiled over.

He's extremely talented though. So I hope he figures it out, because it would be terrible to waste that much talent.

There you go. I hope he figures it out, too.

It's standard, GBR, but I'm sure you know that. It's not really about demanding, but you don't redshirt a guy who is really opposed to it. You can recommend, perhaps strongly, but ultimately, the path a player takes is kind of up to him.

That's not how it works. If you have a true fresman who just isn't good enough to play yet, and he's really opposed to redshirting, you're saying the player can decide that he gets to play in a game even though there are multiple better players ahead of him?

A play can choose to redshirt (refuse to play). He can't really refuse to redshirt ("I must play!")

If a coach DOES allow that, then you've got a serious coaching problem.

And in this case, it really didn't look like Stevenson deserved to be out there on KR.

• Fire 1