Michigan St Game: What Did We Learn?

Nebraska can win big games under Mike Riley. I think we have now experienced an Oregon St season, in its entirety. Pass heavy offense, porous secondary, .500 record (not quite yet), and big-time upset wins. One thing that was very important in this game was momentum. The crowd and team were into this game early, and it gave Nebraska that edge to push through for four quarters.

I am starting to rewatch the game and through the first quarter, two things standout to me that could explain Nebraska's early success: (1) Cook was overthrowing the ball early (5 of his 10 passes in the 1st quarter were overthrown) and (2) Nebraska OL were getting a good push for nearly every rush play, moving the LOS 2-3 yards (this may have given Langsdorf the confidence to kept dialing up the run).

• Fire 1

That all of the talk about us having inferior talent is pure BS.

I do not disagree with you about Nebraska's talent, which I think they have a good amount. However, this win does not prove Nebraska has any more talent than Oregon St did last year beating then #7 Arizona St. What it does prove is that (1) the coaching staff came in with a successful game plan, (2) the team prepared well all week and executed on game day, (3) some luck was with the Huskers and they were prepared to take advantage of it, and (4) the Greatest Fans in College Football ride with their Huskers, do or die!

• Fire 1

Any of the talent talk I have said is garbage. Just hasn't been utilized 100 percent correctly till it was better tonight.

See cross and sterup

Talent is tricky, right? The coaches need to scheme to the talent of their players to have success. Roster management is a HUGE factor in determining if a team "looks" to have talent.

• Fire 2

What we learned is that if the game is managed right and we don't beat ourselves ,we can compete with most teams in the country with the players we have right now. Will that get us into the upper echelon? I think convincing top recruits that we're capable of being there is what got many recruits believing in Osborne back in the 90's and that's what it takes to rise in the crazy NCAA. Did one lucky win with help do that? No, but it didn't hurt.

We said the same things about Pelini's staff...."why do they make it harder than it has to be?"

Now,forget whether we won or lost, if we can power-run for consistent yards against the mighty Michigan State defensive line and compliment that with the passing attack that includes a bunch of very talented receivers, who can we not do that against?

The big question is what about this pass defense that practically gives every game away and gets very little pressure on the QB even though you can see our d-linemen busting their butt and db's running themselves ragged every play? Pelini had a name for the hybrid safety/linebackers they had around 2010...can't remember what they called them, but that seems to be where the problem is.....lb/nickel guys who can cover, blitz, but also tackle like a linebacker to stop the run. It's a different game now.

• Fire 2